Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well where do i begin. . . . . . .i live in nor cal and i was driving all teh way to reno nevada just to go pick up a snowboard (good weather a 2 1/2 hour drive) well my aunt gave me shitty directions so as i was driving through downtown reno where every god damn freeway or highway all meet, we where going about 50 mph and all a sudden a fucking bus starts heading into my lane and is gonna smash me into a tractor-trailor. so i'm trying to aviod him and watch traffic and he coming farther into my lane and i see break lights ahead, well i begin slowing down and he's coming closer and before i know it the people head are bearly moving so i slam teh breaks and hit a some 95 suberu at i'd asume 25-30 mph, well she was fine and was all good w/ it, i basicly fucked my whole front end, i'll prob neet new bumper, fenders, and hood, and she'd need a new rear left fender, bumper and trunk, so we get off the freeway and exchange info at a 7-11 nearby and then the dick-wad REN-O 5-OH shows up, w/ his sunglasses on, (its night time by the way) well after he jerks me around a while w/ bullshit he tells me its 100% my fault and gives me a ticket for "disobaying to stop for preceding traffic" or someshit like that, ok i understand that rear-ends are usually the "behind" persons fault, but then he says that i have apear in juvinal courte because in nevada if your 16-18 or somthing u have to apear im courte if ur in an acident, ok so i'll do it whatever, but then he tells me i have to go to the courte IN reno, remember that s a 2 1/2 hour drive. . . . . . .so in less than an hour i already have a insurance agent calling me and i'm just fucking pist, i prob. cant afford teh insurance on my 6th gen coupe so i might go 4th or 5th gen hatch, but i dont think i could get what my cars worth anymore, so selling might be a horrible idea. . .. . . . .oh and when the insurance guy comes should i take as much aftermarket stuff off as possible, or just fuck-it. . . . . please help i dont know what the fuck to do

i dunno i think i just had toi vent

·
Registered
432 Posts
Wow - I'm not quite sure where to start. Let's start with the ticket. I assume you're a California resident. If so, my question is Do the juvenile laws of Nevada apply to you? This is something your parents or guardian need to check out. Most states just issue a ticket and expect you'll send in the money for the fine, unless there is reckless or drunken driving. Which is not the case with you. Next, keep calm when talking to police, judges, or insurance agents when talking about the accident. I know it's upsetting, but you don't want to antagonize anyone. Each one can make it more difficult on you. I wasn't there, but I have a feeling that's what happened when you were talking to the cop. I'm not raggin' on you. Just explaining some realities.

I don't know what all Aftermarket stuff you have, but I'd leave it on. Yes, your insurance will go up, but I doubt it will make a huge difference if you buy an older car. Ask your insurance company. They'll tell you exactly what the cost would be.

The good thing is that you didn't get hurt or hurt anyone else. The is life after an accident. Use it as a lesson learned. My advice to any driver is "Don't put yourself in a bad position on the road. Make sure you always have an out." This is especially true around trucks and buses. If you've got to go between two of them - GO. Otherwise, back off.

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Just wondering but does your insurance cove the aftermarket items you've installed on your ride? I'd check your policy if I was you. I believe some policies do not cover aftermarket items or there installation voids your policy...:eek:

Temp3 is in the business... PM him dOOd.

BTW: Good luck & drive safely.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, well i ahvnt talked to the insurance guys yet, but what kcallahan was saying about the cop, i was being so nice, i wasnt talking out of line or anything, he just seemed to have a bad atitdue, i didnt disagree w/ him on anything and i was acting totally cool, but hey shit happens.

i will check in on the laws beacuase if i dont HAVE to go all the way back to reno i wont.

o and what u where saying about allways have a way out, i think this was just one of those unavoidable situations, it wasnt as though i was riding the busses blind sopt, he just apeared from behind me and tried to merge, but he acted as though he didnt even look, so this whole think happens in 5-10 sec. . . .oh well shit happens

thnx for the help guys

-tim

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
As a rule, you have to abide by the laws of the state you are in. That's what extradition is for, if someone in one state commits a crime in another, they ship them over for trial & punishment. Not that you have done anything serious, but the principle applies.

Some cops are just that way. The first time I got pulled over I was very polite and respectful and the cop was the hugest jerk ever, yelling & threatening and stuff. Those kind of guys shouldn't have badges, they're all about the power.

·
Registered
432 Posts
You are correct about abiding by the rules of the state you're in, but extradition doesn't normally apply to traffic citations. They just contact your state to revoke your license until you resolve the issue. Extradition is normally used for people who commit a felony.

I'll give you an example where the law didn't apply. My daughter graduated from HS at 16 1/2. We lived in VA and she went to college in IL. I received a call one Wedneday at 1AM that I had to come pick up my daughter at the poilce station in the college town because she was out past curfew on a weekday. Supposedly the law applied to anyone under 18. As I told the officer, I lived 20 hours away and wasn't about to drive there to pick her up. After talking to the night judge he finally determined that the law actually only applied to residents of IL, and she wasn't a resident, so they released her. More often than not, juvenile laws are written for residents of that state and not for people out of state. If slim-tim does a little research, he may find that yes - he has to pay a fine, but no - he doesn't have to appear in juvenile court. It may only take a phone call from his parents to resolve the issue.

·
Registered
768 Posts
heretic666 said:
you should kill yourself now before any problems start.
What is wrong with some people? slim-tim, you will have to excuse ignorant morons like heretic666... I hope everything works out for you

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, i'll just make some calls and see what i can do.

thnx for all the replies

-tim

·
Registered
372 Posts
KBoomBoxx said:
What is wrong with some people? slim-tim, you will have to excuse ignorant morons like heretic666... I hope everything works out for you
whores will always exist as long as there are webboards.

In California, does that law say that the person who rear ends the other person is at fault all the time?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ricertypeR said:

In California, does that law say that the person who rear ends the other person is at fault all the time?
from what i understand, YES, unless there is some reason for the person in front to be at fault , but u'd need whitnesses and shit and it'd be a pain in the ass to try and prove them wrong. Everybody i know allways jokes about slamm'n on teh brakes saying there was a deer or somthing, just so they can get a new car lol

BTW i just got the estimate for the repairs, its about 3 grand plus he never included the frame damage, i was really hoping my car would be totalled so i could get a hatch. . . . .oh well,. Oh and is it possible to have an insurance company pay u to do the work, like they estimat the cost a shop would do it and u do it yourself for that price, cause i could get z3 rfenders for half of what they estimated the OEM's, so could i have them pay me instad of going to the shop andc i could jujst put z3's?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Normally insurance companies will give you the money and you have to pay the shop. The only problem you could run into doing it yourself is if you find something else that needs to be fixed due to the accident it may be difficult to get the Adjuster back out to look at the problem. Most shops just call the insurance company, discuss the extra cost and the money is sent directly to them.

Also, I don't understand how you can have a bent frame and they not total your car. I thought that was a given in an accident.

·
Registered
18 Posts
ricertypeR said:
whores will always exist as long as there are webboards.

it not always ur fault they bend the law sometimes...thats how i got so fucked up when i lost my teg...some good time... :cry:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts