Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there really a great difference between the K&N filtercharger that replaces the original air filter and the intake kit that replaces the whole factory filter box except of the sound?

is the performance nearly the same or is there a noticable difference in HP?

· Registered
221 Posts
well i have both.... so....

in my old skool 1985 accord, mint condition ;-) i have a k&n drop-in. granted this car only has about 100 hp, i did notice a slight difference, in mid range power, and also on the high end over the honda paper unit.

in my 92 civic si, i have a tenzo r intake w/filter, short ram, and i noticed a much bigger gain. i also used to have an aem cai in my civic, but sold it and replaced it with a short ram, and it still feels about the same. i noticed power all across the band, plus throttle response is a lot quicker.

so id say skip the drop-in and go with a quality short or long intake.

mike

· Registered
652 Posts
i agree with macromachinez

just drop in the K&N filter..........u won't notce a "BIG" different....
but u will notice a different in power and acceleration
and the sound is better (louder) than OEM air filter.
this is for sure

i don't know other driver can hear my car is louder or not ? :confused:

· Registered
26 Posts
The K&N kit is a start but the real diffence is the piping. The piping on the stock intake with the ghetto piping is more restrictive and it makes as much difference as the filter so get an intake kit because the filter is open so it gets colder air and has better flow piping. It sounds cool 2.

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
damm! so much different opinions here... still don't know how to decide :confused:

is water a big problem with CAI or RAM?

what about the icebox? what kind of filter goes in there?

· Registered
610 Posts
No, water isn't a problem if your not a moron. Basically, after installing a CAI, replace the fender well liner. As long as you don't actually submerge the filter element under water, you're pretty safe. I've had my AEM CAI for a couple years now without any problems or one of those bypass valves. Now, as to which is better, the CAI will give more power. It will be complemented by other bolt-ons like exhaust, headers, and whatnot. But, the CAI alone won't do much. If you plan to actually make your car fast, get the CAI and work from there. Most CAI kits come with a K&N filter anyway. If you're just looking for a tiny boost to power and fuel efficiency, just get the K&N filter element.

· Registered
26 Posts
I'm a huge fan of K&N filters! And have one on my short ram intake. The problem w/the short ram is that the piping is thin and the heat from the engine hits it and can warm that air up. It definitly sucks a lot more air though. Someone once posted the idea for just dropping in the filter because the stock piping is thicker and resists the heat. Anyway you go you'll be adding airflow and power so you can't lose there. Just decide which one is more appealing to you. I'd probly go w/the CAI though and suck in that cold air. Just stay away from large puddles and floodded streets.:rolleyes:

· Registered
547 Posts
I've got a K&N drop in filter for my 99 Civic Dx and it does provide some boost in the powerband, somewhere. I noticed it when I first popped it in.

· Registered
889 Posts
oneslwcivic said:
The K&N kit is a start but the real diffence is the piping. The piping on the stock intake with the ghetto piping is more restrictive and it makes as much difference as the filter so get an intake kit because the filter is open so it gets colder air and has better flow piping. It sounds cool 2.
hmm i dunno bout that. my cai's piping looks a bit smaller that the stock stuff. i think u need to get one of those fat piping.. so aem mite b outta the question. but yah.. personally i think my cai set me back enough that it still hurts my wallet for not much difference. look kick a$s and sounds good but yah. like if u check out the spoon civic they got the stock intake box the jus that cf arm. i mean, they must think the stock box ain't that bad, and i'd agree. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.