Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearin peeps say that the k20 has way more potential than the h22, but i haven't heard anyone explain how.

Somebody please explain to me the advantages of having a k20 in your civic over an h22?

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
fivepointhustla said:
I keep hearin peeps say that the k20 has way more potential than the h22, but i haven't heard anyone explain how.

Somebody please explain to me the advantages of having a k20 in your civic over an h22?

WELL for starters aftermarket support, the k-series will have much more support then the h-series ever will, the k-series has already shown itself to be an insane engine, an rsx type s head swap onto the EP hatch jumps the output from 130hp at the wheels to 171hp at the wheels on a STOCK head and cams, it is really choked back from the factory, which means opening it up will see tremendous gains (All relative), etc

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
fivepointhustla said:
ISomebody please explain to me the advantages of having a k20 in your civic over an h22?
The point is, it doesn't matter. If you have a 2001-newer Civic than an H22 is not an option, you would have to use the K-series.

For 2000-older Civics you'd use the H-series or B-series. It would cost an astronomical amount to swap a K-series into it although some have done it, for whatever reason...

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
Re: Re: K series this, H series that

klungemonger said:
The point is, it doesn't matter. If you have a 2001-newer Civic than an H22 is not an option, you would have to use the K-series.

For 2000-older Civics you'd use the H-series or B-series. It would cost an astronomical amount to swap a K-series into it although some have done it, for whatever reason...

they did it for show points......lol

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: K series this, H series that

klungemonger said:
More like Schmoe points. Hmmm...what else could they have done with $10K+???

people w/ show cars don't care...they never drive their shit anyway, its like, lets do a k-swap, turbo it, do the whole car up, and never start it

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
klungemonger said:
It'd be cheaper and easier to just carve an engine out of wood and paint it, half the dummies at the show wouldn't know the difference anyhow.

exactly, they would think it is the new cool thing to do

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Re: Re: K series this, H series that

klungemonger said:
they have k-series mounts for 5th and 6th gens available now
its just a much an option as the b and h
whether you want to spend $6k+ on a dc5 engine is your choice

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
Re: Re: Re: K series this, H series that

the RAN said:

blah

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Re: Re: Re: K series this, H series that

the RAN said:
Like I said, for the majority of us living in reality, just because it's possible doesn't make it REALLY an option. An H22 complete changeover with all the bolt-ons is still less than just a basic engine package, I'd say that makes it much more of an option for most. Plus more parts to choose from, and many more shops with experience tweaking them.

·
Registered
9,111 Posts

klungemonger said:
Like I said, for the majority of us living in reality, just because it's possible doesn't make it REALLY an option. An H22 complete changeover with all the bolt-ons is still less than just a basic engine package, I'd say that makes it much more of an option for most. Plus more parts to choose from, and many more shops with experience tweaking them.

now what about a choice between an ITR motor and a K-series motor.....

·
Registered
1,268 Posts

klungemonger said:
Like I said, for the majority of us living in reality, just because it's possible doesn't make it REALLY an option.
that's how the H22 was at one point in time
you gotta start somewhere

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: K series this, H series that

the RAN said:
that's how the H22 was at one point in time
you gotta start somewhere
but the point he is making is that you can get an H-series motor for 1/6th of the price of a K-series, i personally still do not like the h-series swap but people do it so whateva

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
the k series is supposed to have one of the best heads from teh factory so far for pure flow, which means a lot of potential for power.
bringing up the head swap from the type-s to si hatch...it had better make 40hp....after all the head and ecu are the only diff and the si is rated at 160 at the crank the type-s 200....if you didnt see a 40hp gain something is not installed right.

one advantage that has not been mentioned is the K series is a lot lighter than pervious engines. but since aftermarket support is slow to build up it may be a few years before the aftermarket supports the K series so well. it is just in the past 2 years that H series support really got a lot bigger....

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
v4lu3s said:
the k series is supposed to have one of the best heads from teh factory so far for pure flow, which means a lot of potential for power.
bringing up the head swap from the type-s to si hatch...it had better make 40hp....after all the head and ecu are the only diff and the si is rated at 160 at the crank the type-s 200....if you didnt see a 40hp gain something is not installed right.

one advantage that has not been mentioned is the K series is a lot lighter than pervious engines. but since aftermarket support is slow to build up it may be a few years before the aftermarket supports the K series so well. it is just in the past 2 years that H series support really got a lot bigger....

you forgot the 6 speed pal

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
klungemonger said:
I was going to mention that. Except Honda's factory hp ratings are measured directly on the crank so gearing and driveline losses aren't factored into the difference.

true but that is a nice feature of the rsx type s

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So really there isn't any advantage except 6 speed and it's lighter. I guess I'll stick to an h22 because it's the cheapest swap for the bang. 6k is way too much for only 200whp on a k swap.

Thanx yall

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
fivepointhustla said:
So really there isn't any advantage except 6 speed and it's lighter. I guess I'll stick to an h22 because it's the cheapest swap for the bang. 6k is way too much for only 200whp on a k swap.

Thanx yall

i don't think you read it right man, there are TONS of advantages to the K-series over the h series and the b-series

1 - 20 of 114 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.