Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,780 Posts
The K20 will fit, but only with $640 mounts that can be found here. The B18c will fit with the stock b series mounts that are included in a "complete swap" or "full swap."
http://www.hasport.com/Products/Mounts.htm

This is to give you an idea on prices and horsepower.
http://hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=category&keyword=JDM USDM Engines

Only other issue to think about is tunability. There are alot more parts available for B series engines and at lower prices, but the K20 will gain more power from simple mods and has more potenetial.

I'm only being nice to this post because it is my birthday. You should have searched because there is alot of info out there. Try Wikipedia.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
if you have alot of money, k20a is best. if you want go to crazy and have alot more money, k24/k20 turbo. as for if it fits. yes anything fits (in a sense). just get the hasport mounts. theres other mounts availible but people dont get it for their own reasons. k-swaps are the way to go. the motor has soo much potential, and with minor bolt ons can beat alot of bseries swaps that have major upgrades.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,513 Posts
sujinX said:
if you have alot of money, k20a is best. if you want go to crazy and have alot more money, k24/k20 turbo. as for if it fits. yes anything fits (in a sense). just get the hasport mounts. theres other mounts availible but people dont get it for their own reasons. k-swaps are the way to go. the motor has soo much potential, and with minor bolt ons can beat alot of bseries swaps that have major upgrades.
Dont listen to this guy....You can have bubba build you a 500+ hp turbo b-series motor for about the price that a stock k-series would cost you.....If your not into drag racing but hitting the corners b-series is still better because the K-series ruins your supension geometry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,780 Posts
shaolin_style said:
Dont listen to this guy....You can have bubba build you a 500+ hp turbo b-series motor for about the price that a stock k-series would cost you.....If your not into drag racing but hitting the corners b-series is still better because the K-series ruins your supension geometry.
How does it ruin the suspension geometry? I know a K20 is 20lbs lighter than a B18c, but I also heard it sits lower or further back in the engine bay. Furthermore, it sits on the passenger side of the engine bay, which is good in America where the driver is on the left.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
A big change to any vehicle like a different engine is going to effect the suspension geometry in some way but it is not going to "ruin" it. Ruin is a strong word in this case because it creates the mental picture that the handling and balance of the vehicle is completely different in a negative way which is just not the case. It's not like someone it putting a Hemi in their Civic! It's just another inline four with a little more displacemnt and, like flyingtoaster said, it's actually a little lighter. Besides, if someone does an engine swap, surely they are prepared to modify or completely replace the suspension system anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,248 Posts
shaolin_style said:
Dont listen to this guy....You can have bubba build you a 500+ hp turbo b-series motor for about the price that a stock k-series would cost you.....If your not into drag racing but hitting the corners b-series is still better because the K-series ruins your supension geometry.
A k20a2 is $4k, just barely more than a b18c1. However you need about another $2500 to swap a k20 into an older chassis. It really isn't any more than a moderately built b-series.

As for the k-series ruining your suspension geometry... Well, all that I have to say is that the East Coast Honda Challenge winner runs a k20 :) The k20 weighs about 5lbs more than a b-series, sits back a little closer to the firewall and sits a little lower in the chassis. Its a great motor in *any* track car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
no offense but ur a retard. it doesnt ruin the suspension geo. driver is on the left side, engine on the right. thats the best you can have and also its lighter then the b18c. learn before you try and post stuff. dont think that my sorry 72 post means you know more then me. i just dont whore threads. i dont mean it in a mean way.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,513 Posts
kommon_sense said:
A k20a2 is $4k, just barely more than a b18c1. However you need about another $2500 to swap a k20 into an older chassis. It really isn't any more than a moderately built b-series.

As for the k-series ruining your suspension geometry... Well, all that I have to say is that the East Coast Honda Challenge winner runs a k20 :) The k20 weighs about 5lbs more than a b-series, sits back a little closer to the firewall and sits a little lower in the chassis. Its a great motor in *any* track car.
I have a complete Bubba built 207 @9600 whp b18c for $3,000 installed(i did labor) with ALL brand new internals, line honed, in my car with 0 miles on it... Thats alot less than $6.5k and about 40 more whp than what you would have with the K. As well as not having any mileage. The K is gonna have at leaset 20-30k miles and who knows how hard the previous owner was on it. And when I says suspension geometry its because of the way it sits the drive axels are at rather extreme angles. No matter what you do, with the ammount you spend for a K you could have a MUCH better B.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,248 Posts
Average price for a B18c alone is > $3k, so you can't really compare homeboy hook-up pricing. You are getting [email protected] Thats great... However most people are seeing roughly 200whp on a basic k20a2 swap. The k is a superior engine, anyone will tell you that. Its lighter, breathes better, as a better vtec implementation (look at the vtc), responds great to just simple bolt-ons, etc... Does that mean that the b is bad? No, not at all. Its funny to me that the b vs. d-series argument is now the k vs b-series argument.

As for axle angles, get the right mount kit and your problem is solved. The hasport ekk2 kit keeps the axles straight in the 96-00 civic chassis, and the hasport egk1 kit does the job in the 92-95 and integra 94-01 chassis. People have successfully dragged and roadraced k-swaps, so obviously the axles are working out.

As for the mileage... Lets not be silly here... Many of the k-swaps are coming out of either wrecked cars or people doing k24 conversions. 20-30k is next to nothing... If anyone here would have a problem buying a used car with 20-30k miles on it, raise your hand :)

Lastly, there were 2 deciding factors for me to go k-series... 1) 2.0L straight from the factory, and 2) 6-speed tranny. My interest is road-racing, so the tranny is practically just as important to me as the engine. I also like the fact that I can have an engine putting out nearly 200whp in *BONE STOCK* configuration. Thats great, since reliability is my #1 goal here.

If you are happy with your b, thats great, and really thats all that matters. However the simple fact of the matter is that the k is a better engine in nearly any application. The east coast honda challenge winner runs a k... Quite a few road-racers are switching over to the k... The k is so good that people are even swapping them into lotus', and mr2's. People are running in the 12's with near stock k20a2s and k20a's... You simply can't argue with the results...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
I thought the K20A had a manufacturer measured 197 gross horsepower. How would you then get 200 horses to the wheels in "bone stock" form? Generally the power losses in any drivetrain are at least 10-15% with a stock clutch/transmission/differential.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,513 Posts
Tuneable ecu is an added $600-900 bucks, good race header is close to $1000...$7k+ is still alot of money for only 200 whp. K's are great engines I have never denounced the engine itself...side by side it is better than a B but also side by side ferrari motors are better than K's but they cost more...Like I said before no matter what, for whatever ammount you spend on a K series motor, you could have a much better b-series motor for the money. <--thats just about impossable to argue against.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,248 Posts
shaolin_style said:
Tuneable ecu is an added $600-900 bucks, good race header is close to $1000...$7k+ is still alot of money for only 200 whp. K's are great engines I have never denounced the engine itself...side by side it is better than a B but also side by side ferrari motors are better than K's but they cost more...Like I said before no matter what, for whatever ammount you spend on a K series motor, you could have a much better b-series motor for the money. <--thats just about impossable to argue against.
The tuneable ecu was factored into the $2500 cost that I mentioned earlier. You also don't have to go all out with a race header. People have gotten very good performance on the AEM/DC $300 header. The k simply responds very well to basic bolt-ons.

A moderately built b at standard prices is roughly the same price as a standard k-swap. If the average person got a setup comparable to yours, they would probably pay $5000-6500 (b18c, pistons and/or rods, cams, machine work, headwork, rebuild costs, etc.) depending on what all was done. That type of money puts you in k territory. Some people have actually managed k-swaps for < $5k, but that is not typical.

Given the same money, you *can't* build a better b than a k. Would you rather have a motor that makes 200whp @ 9500 rpm or a motor that makes 200whp @ 7800 rpm and has a near flat torque curve from 2500 on? Throw a 6-spd tranny into the package and you have a very well balanced package.

I'm not trying to knock a b-series. I was actually looking for a b18c when I decided to go k. When I added up the costs I realized that for just a little more (little is very relative here considering that neither option done right is cheap), I could have a great setup with nearly stock reliability... Thats hard to beat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
kommon_sense said:
k20a is about 220hp, k20a2 is 200hp. You have to use kpro, header, and intake in order to do any k-series swap. Dyno charts that I've seen point at ballpark 200whp.
does the k20a have a limited slip, sry iff a stupid question, im a b18c guy, also with the hasport mount kits do you use the stock k20 axles?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,307 Posts
kommon_sense said:
The tuneable ecu was factored into the $2500 cost that I mentioned earlier. You also don't have to go all out with a race header. People have gotten very good performance on the AEM/DC $300 header. The k simply responds very well to basic bolt-ons.

A moderately built b at standard prices is roughly the same price as a standard k-swap. If the average person got a setup comparable to yours, they would probably pay $5000-6500 (b18c, pistons and/or rods, cams, machine work, headwork, rebuild costs, etc.) depending on what all was done. That type of money puts you in k territory. Some people have actually managed k-swaps for < $5k, but that is not typical.

Given the same money, you *can't* build a better b than a k. Would you rather have a motor that makes 200whp @ 9500 rpm or a motor that makes 200whp @ 7800 rpm and has a near flat torque curve from 2500 on? Throw a 6-spd tranny into the package and you have a very well balanced package.

I'm not trying to knock a b-series. I was actually looking for a b18c when I decided to go k. When I added up the costs I realized that for just a little more (little is very relative here considering that neither option done right is cheap), I could have a great setup with nearly stock reliability... Thats hard to beat.

In realitiy, it comes down to the builder..some like b' some like k its a arguement that will never die, b this k that..its stupid build what u build because thats what you know my opinion is, k is overrated and over priced..cause its new..my two cents...and personally i'd rather have a motor that makes 200+whp at 8100+rpms rather then at 7600rpms, why? cause its me, i've dreamed of reving to 9+ since i was kid and got into imports this is my dream i've made it happen and i'm happy doing it..i love to REV high, its not only something for me but its fucken elite feeling to see peoples eye's light up when your goin past 8k and all the way up to 9400rpms, and its just a hold your breath kind of feeling..i like high rpms.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,248 Posts
9400rpms said:
In realitiy, it comes down to the builder..some like b' some like k its a arguement that will never die, b this k that..its stupid build what u build because thats what you know my opinion is, k is overrated and over priced..cause its new..my two cents...and personally i'd rather have a motor that makes 200+whp at 8100+rpms rather then at 7600rpms, why? cause its me, i've dreamed of reving to 9+ since i was kid and got into imports this is my dream i've made it happen and i'm happy doing it..i love to REV high, its not only something for me but its fucken elite feeling to see peoples eye's light up when your goin past 8k and all the way up to 9400rpms, and its just a hold your breath kind of feeling..i like high rpms.
Ok? Well, everyone likes what they like. If your goal is rpms, then you need to ditch the honda and buy an rx-7/8 with a rotary... My goal has pretty much been to get the best torque curve that I could get. People tend to forget that hp = torque * rpm / 5252...
 
1 - 20 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top