Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Im not entirely sure, but I know that the a2 is more for performance. Did you check out k20a2.org? Im sure there is an engine discussion on there

· Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not entirely sure, but I know that the a2 is more for performance. Did you check out k20a2.org? Im sure there is an engine discussion on there
thats what I was thinking too. but the Z1 does have like 9 more ponies or something. soo I was like oh is that just an A1 with tweeked cams and such? So that is what I am wondering.

· Registered
41,903 Posts
yeah there is quite a difference between the two motors. The CR is the same at 11:1, although the z1 has a higher redline at 8500, rather than 8100.

A lot of people think the z1 has type-R cams, but it doesn't.

I don't know the exact differences off the top of my head, but they're there

· Registered
10,346 Posts

· Registered
10,346 Posts

· Registered
41,903 Posts
So the Z1 is the 04-06 Type S. I thought all the US K20's redline was the same 8.1. RSX that is
only the 05-06 RSX-S has the z1. I honestly forget where the redline starts on my cluster, but i know ive taken it to just under 9k before the revlimiter kicked in.

· Registered
41,903 Posts
K20A2 [email protected], [email protected] 5600rpm, redline of 8100

K20Z1 [email protected], [email protected] 7000rpm, redline of 8500

A2 woiuld be better choice if you had to pick between em, better response. 10hp isnt gonna make a difference if its getting peak power faster
yeah but look at how the motors are tuned.. the A2 hits peak torque right before vtec activates.. So you have a whole power band that makes less torque than your low end power band.

In those cars with that insanely short trans, 5600rpm comes REALLY quick.

I've raced an A2 swapped RSX in my stock 06 type S and won every time. The gearing is better, and we would be pretty much even up until vtec and then i would pull on him hardcore

· Registered
10,346 Posts
There is an EG coupe with a K20 and an EG hatch running around with the Z1. The coupe beats it by a car length at the drags. Similar performance, but the coupe, that should lose considering the weight difference and the fact that both cars are using the same tranny..............idk. maybe teh Z1 was raped a lil too much and was running less then it should? Im not sure. Both drivers are good at dragging, and both are stupid and running stock tires/rims. Id at least go with a stickier set of tires if I just swapped a K series in.

· Registered
41,903 Posts
There is an EG coupe with a K20 and an EG hatch running around with the Z1. The coupe beats it by a car length at the drags. Similar performance, but the coupe, that should lose considering the weight difference and the fact that both cars are using the same tranny..............idk. maybe teh Z1 was raped a lil too much and was running less then it should? Im not sure. Both drivers are good at dragging, and both are stupid and running stock tires/rims. Id at least go with a stickier set of tires if I just swapped a K series in.
its all about the drivers when the motors and cars are that similar. The only thing the z1 really has on the a2 is the tranny, and if they both are running the same tranny, id say its a battle of the drivers for sure. the coupe isnt much heavier than the hatch, and even then, it would have a slower start, but gain more momentum

· Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
like I dont know, but so far it seems like the Z1 makes 10 more horesies and revs more.... And I am willing to bet that it is very similar just tweeked around. So we need someone that knows what they are talking about and tell us about them.

· Registered
41,903 Posts
like I dont know, but so far it seems like the Z1 makes 10 more horesies and revs more.... And I am willing to bet that it is very similar just tweeked around. So we need someone that knows what they are talking about and tell us about them.
the only thing that hasn't been stated yet are the internals, which are very similar. Both motors are very close in pretty much all aspects. to answer your original question, there aren't any significant differences.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
its all about the drivers when the motors and cars are that similar. The only thing the z1 really has on the a2 is the tranny, and if they both are running the same tranny, id say its a battle of the drivers for sure. the coupe isnt much heavier than the hatch, and even then, it would have a slower start, but gain more momentum
well, both of them are the type of drivers where their quarter times are almost always within .1 of each time they run, not .1 between each car, but the same driver, same car, different runs. They are pretty fucking good, considering they have been dragggin multiple cars since they were 14, and both are like 25 now. They always used 4 cyl and 6 cyl cars, no power galiaths

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
no, the z1 uses type r cams

· Registered
41,903 Posts

· Registered
1,567 Posts
no, the z1 uses type r cams
Bumping old thread to provide correct information.

WVU is half right, the 05-06 K20Z1 uses a different cam than the A2 uses. It has the same lift as the ITR cams, but has the same duration as the A2 cams, which is less than the ITR. The Z1 also uses a different processor in the ECU, which is why we have to run 02-04 ECUs to have k-Pro, and they also used smaller valve seats in the head, another thing you have to swap when you upgrade the valve train as most companies have designed their springs around the A2's seats. 05-06 Trannys have a 4.7 final drive, from the ITR, the A2 has a 4.3 final drive. The Z1 Redlines at 8100 from the factory and the A2 redlines at 7900, this ofcourse is on the tachometer. When ignition cut hits is around 8500, though factory tachs are rather inaccurate and can show up to 9000RPM. I know my stock tach has show in the territory of 11,000RPM but the motor never went past 10,250 ;)

The best cams you can get for a K series, that Honda makes, are the 06-07 K24A2 TSX cams, as they have more lift and duration on the low cam and high cam than the ITR cam has.

· Registered
41,903 Posts
good info there bro, i didnt know half of that shit

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.