Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I want some info on this swap I am thinking of doing one. Will it bolt right in, do I have to cut anything like I had to for my h22a swap. Also its going in a ek will it be as fast or faster? I saw there is motor mount kit for it, is that a bolt in kit or is there something better out there. Should I put a type s head on it?

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
1. search

2. no it will not bolt right in

3. you better have atleast 6000 for the swap

4 why would you put a type s head on k20a2? it has the same head as the k20a and if you get newer one it comes with type r cams. this swap if done professionally will cost about 8K if you do it yourself about 6 to do it right you need th mount kit. the header from k24 in the tsx etc. it's not an "easy" swap like a b-series and it's not cheap. stick with your h22a. for the money you'll spend to have a stock k20a2 you could have a 300+whp h22a

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know about 8k, I already have the motor and the shell , I just got them tonight, I was thinking more on the lines of 3k. I am doing my reseach now, I just wanted to get some opions before I start. Mabey someone who has done the swap, I can get a k24 block and put a k20 head on. I heard thats a tq swap.

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
you said you wanted to do a swap. the going rate to put a k20a2 into 90's civic is about 7-8K for everything. the theader alone is about 400 dollars. the k20a2 swap go for near 6 grand by themselves. you can do the swap yourself from scratch for about 5k. the k24 is a better motor in my opinion. it makes the same power sooner as the k20a2. just build the friggin h22a you already have.

·
Registered
108 Posts
good luck with that

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I have been doing the h22a, its ok. My buddy has a k20 eg, and he didnt even come to close to 5k. If you know how to weld you will be ok, the motor mount kit is 400.00 for the k20. the wire harness is 500.00, and you have to get a different header. so thats 200.00 more, so what 1100 and my time. Plus I already have the swap I got it on some trades. Have you done this swap or are you just going off what people say? do you have references to where you got this figure?

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
how does he have a k20a2 swap for under 5K. the swaps before you install them go for about 5K. are you sure you aren't thinking of the k20a3? i know people who have done the swap. b18c5 swaps sill go for 3400 dollars. k20a2 swap go for about 1500 more easily with the 6spd tranny. either you're buying stolen motors or your buddy lied to you. i have yet to see a complete k20a2 swap go for under 4500 dollars

·
Registered
483 Posts
If your doing a full swap it better include EVERYTHING so it will work properly. I hope you don't half step your work. Most swaps will round you up to 6k at the most. jhpusa's got theirs at 5800 for k20a swaps. just shows you what the price on average is. But once your done with the swap that's all you got.;)

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
yeah on average teh swap itself will be around 5-5.5K that's not even including installation. only k-swaps that go for 2K are k20a3 garbage

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no its out of a 2003 si he got a good deal. I am just talking about putting the motor in not buying the motor. I already have the motor, just instaling the motor should be cheap. I want a k20z3 the new motor which is way better than the k20a2

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
no its out of a 2003 si he got a good deal. I am just talking about putting the motor in not buying the motor. I already have the motor, just instaling the motor should be cheap. I want a k20z3 the new motor which is way better than the k20a2
that is a shitty motor. that k20 doesn't even have real vtec. it has vtec-e. it is nothin like the k20a2. that's why it is so cheap. no offense but that motor is garbage, it's for economy. it's vtec isn't even there so you can go faster but it's soley so you can have better gas mileage. it's 160hp and doesn't take well to mods at all. a b18c1 is superior to that motor in all honesy. the only way to make it remotely fast are to swap pistons and put a k20a2 head on it, or boost it.

here go read up and you'll understand what i'm talking about
http://www.superhonda.com/forum/f21/2002-civic-si-vtec-engagement-108177/

and the k20z3 isn't superior to the k20a2. it's basically the same motor but hte k20z3 makes less hp stock and has that shitty drive by wire bullshit. the k20a2 is better stock for stock and when modding them they motors will turn out the same. the k20a2 is virtually the k20a(the type r motor) with a lower compression ratio but they have the same agressive cams. hence why the k20a2 makes 210hp from the factory which is ten less than the k20a motor.

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
isn't 6k the basic cost of the motor itself i think he'll need more then that...
yes for the k20a and the k20a2 is a little cheaper. but still over 5K. and that's my point. the money spent for the performance gained is horrible. 5K into your h22a and you'll be pushing out an easy 400whp

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
yes for the k20a and the k20a2 is a little cheaper. but still over 5K. and that's my point. the money spent for the performance gained is horrible. 5K into your h22a and you'll be pushing out an easy 400whp
he's right however the potential for the K20 is higher but seriously will you need more than 400 HP in a FF car? NO. i'd stick with the H22

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
trust me i had an epic war on another thread with some idiot trying to tell me hte h22a was on par with a k20 and frankly it isn't. but they are overpriced for what they give you. 6-8K for 175whp? wtf. seriously

·
Registered
483 Posts
he's right however the potential for the K20 is higher but seriously will you need more than 400 HP in a FF car? NO. i'd stick with the H22
yeah but wouldn't the expense of modding k20 still be presumably higher compared to the h22 with a similar modding goal anyway?:confused

·
Registered
483 Posts
trust me i had an epic war on another thread with some idiot trying to tell me hte h22a was on par with a k20 and frankly it isn't. but they are overpriced for what they give you. 6-8K for 175whp? wtf. seriously
well to be honest with you I wouldn't want to tackle on something such as comparing new effecient technology vs. old effecient technology with some nuthead like that or ineffeciency for that matter :lol2

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
yeah but wouldn't the expense of modding k20 still be presumably higher compared to the h22 with a similar modding goal anyway?:confused
i was thinking stopping point and reliability you can get more reliable HP from a K20 but you won't see me spending that much on the next gen B18c

1 - 20 of 24 Posts