Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well im going through quite a time right now about my motor. I'm thinking about going for an LS motor and probably later on turbo.Since the LS has lower compression i think it would be more suitable for my future project. Just want some opinions on the matter.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have a better idea. Keep the B16A and built it up for boost. Do not go thru the trouble of swaping in an LS when you already have a B-series.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldnt mind keeping the B16, but the LS is so tempting...plus if i sold my motor, i would have enough for the ls swap plus some extra...

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its just that a LS seems like it has more possiblities and its something i can work with from scratch...I know it seems wierd to say that, but B16 already has vtec, what more can you ask for? LS has good amount of torque and lower compression, better for turbo. And i remember when i first got my sol, I got spanked by LS's all over the place (it wasnt my shifting that lost). So i figure, hey I can sell my engine (B16) have money left over from a LS swap and still be quick enough to hang with DOHC VTEC sols....Sorry if it doesnt seem like Im making sense, but i just want to tinker with something i havent touched before.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Well IMO I thin kthe B16A has more to offer, but if your stuck on an LS so be it. Lower compression isn't necessarily better for boost, it's tunning. Also you probebly were spanked by LS' because your car is 25xx LBS without you in it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
hahhaha i cant believe u want an LS motor! ur b16a can beat an LS anyday-stock to stock, how do i know? cause i race both my friends LS teg at the track and on the streets, more track than street. my best time is 15.534, my friends best time were 16.2xx.

i also like racing them on the highway too, drop it in 3rd, hits 6K RPM, i will hear them sift while i pass by still in 3rd.

learn to launch, not just dropping the clutch. LS has lots more low end torque so first gear you will be playing catch up, second gear you will begin to pass, third gear u done pass him.

i also raced an LS/VTEC, i gots to say those are awesome! the guy ran 15s but his best time was 14.7s-said he has still tune it.

oh a thought, my other friend drives an altima, he best time was 16.1, he race my friend LS teg and beated him-over and over and over. maybe you should get an altima engine instead!:D :D

·
Registered
355 Posts
Keep the B16 and get a B0 block and swap that in there. You could have CR-VTEC that's be fast. Or go Turbo'd B16. Or you could also go LS/VTEC if you don't have enough for a CR-VTEC swap.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
id say ls turbo, i hear they hold up better than the vtec engines. though, it all depends on how you build the block. what might be a good idea is get a turbo kit for your b16 and run mild boost until you can strenghten the block more to run higher psi. but what do i know. getting an ls for the meantime woudl be a big step down. cause b16 is a rev happy na which ~should~ be able to kick the ls ass. either way your call. oh yea and think about wiring. yours is already set up for vtec. why not get a b18c1

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
*ponder* b18....*ponder* ls/vtec...so hard to figure out what i want to do cause my cousin wants my motor so im kinda pressed for time as well. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Ill let you know what ill go with, but till then back to the chamber of solitude.

·
Registered
9 Posts
sol_ryda said:
Well IMO I thin kthe B16A has more to offer, but if your stuck on an LS so be it. Lower compression isn't necessarily better for boost, it's tunning.
Umm... Actually, lower compression is better for boost. Why do you think that you buy dished pistons for a turbo build up? Lower compression also reduces the likelihood of detonation. I'd go LS/VTEC man, especially if you're going to build up the bottom end.

LS B18B: 81mm bore, 89mm stroke, 1835cc of displacement, 9.2:1 compression ratio, 140hp.

B16A2(3): 81mm bore, 77mm stroke, 1587cc of displacement, 10.2:1 compression ratio, 160hp.

You have 12mm longer stoke, 248cc more displacement, and a lower compression ratio. You do have 20hp less, stock for stock, but for turbo, that lower compression will be a definate advantage. Also remember, there's no replacement for displacement.

·
Registered
187 Posts
YEAHHH go LS turbo and i'll help you install it if you cut me a sweet deal on the b16....ps..i have a 92 civic EGhatch, and live in NW houston, if you need any help doing the LS or LSvtec conversion, i'm there:D

·
Registered
542 Posts
Lowering the cr is good if your going to push major boost, like 15+ psi. If your going to keep it lower then that then the B16A's 10.2 to 1cr will be perfect. The higher cr will also help out with turbo spool. Like I said earlier you can eliminate detonation with tunning. Why go through the trouble of putting in an LS then turboing it, when you can just throw a kit on the B16A, tune it and be done.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LOL, thanks for the help and ill keep that offer in mind spoonfedhatch. Man so many options....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hmm youre from my area, Wanna trade engines ? Ill toss in a couple hundred =] my LS is fairly new I have all da paper work.

puahah trade me !! i want vtec. i wanted to do a lsvtec but i cant find a good place in tx to do it at. if you know hook me up? if not i was getting a b16a1 for 1499 from street imports.com but i dont wanna pay the wack shippin fee anyways holler back.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That thread was old and i decided to stick with my b16, but if you need any parts ill see what i can do for you. Sorry.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts