Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
9d1civhtch said:
Now that i have the engine i want i need to turn my attention to the suspension. first up how do i get rid of the annoying ass wheel hop?
Fine tune your suspension to the type of racing you do.. there really isn't a 'definate' answer to this question but...

I would say if it is for drag racing.. get rid of the weight transfer.. that it self makes the wheels hop. Also tires have a lot to do with wheel hop. Limited slip helps...etc... I could go on but it may not be just a suspension issue...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
will a good traction bar eliminate the need for new axles on a high torque application? b/c someone on here said that traction problems brake axles.

·
Registered
41 Posts
stiffer front shock setting...(if you have adjustables) if you dont get some.

get upper tie bar for the front (strut tower bar)

don't use carbon fibre hood

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I know this doesn't help on the fwd department but aside from traction bars, posi's, and sticky tires on rwd cars. We usually run 70/30 shocks up front an 50/50's out back to help toss the weight back over the rear tires on launch.

I'd assume the same principal could be used in fwd cars by using 50's up front and leaving stockers out back since they've got a soft spring rate as-is.

wheel "can" break axles due to the sudden vibrations under load from the wheel hoping...the axle has to follow. It's not so much the axles that break but the u-joints in them. Upgraded axles normally only have heavier duty u-joints and perches in them to handle the extra torque of a beefed up engine.

Oh and um, you can eliminate most wheel hop by launching smoother from the line and/or easing into the launch :p

·
Registered
139 Posts
HBracer said:
will a good traction bar eliminate the need for new axles on a high torque application? b/c someone on here said that traction problems brake axles.
Technicall the answer is NO... You see, traction bars are designed to keep weight transfer to a minimum. Wheel hop is a 'whole different' type of problem. Wheel hop occurs when the tires.. grab-release-grab- release....an so on. What is really happening when you have wheel hop.. is the tire is actually grabbing traction..then pulling forward. The suspension (ie control arms & bushings) stretch and then rebound. What happens then is, the tire is literally 'shot' forward and then grabs again.. then the process starts all over again.

Now.. before I get too deep... I am assuming that you are talking about the 'rear' traction bars... ie.. similar to 'wheely bars'.. but now that I have that in my mind. Yes.. a traction bar similar to the ones made by Jimfab (www.jimfab.com) will help with wheel hop but not with the 'axle snapping' problem. Axles snap for many different reasons. The most common reason is the 'sudden' release or introduction of heavy torque. Wheel hop is also a big contributor to snapped axles for the reason I stated above... BUT.. even the reason above introduces quick heavy amounts of torque.. so now we are back down here..:D

In a FWD car... weight tranfer is the ENEMY.. anything you can do to make the car stiffer is a good thing. In a perfect world.. a FWD car would not transfer any weight therefore seriously reducing wheel hop.. and helping to eliminate broken crap.. but it isn't so...... suspension is (IMO) 70% of the performance of the car.

Now.. on a RWD drive car.. you want to have a certain amount of weight transfer because that is where the drive tires are..BUT.. you don't want weight transfer after the launch. You see... its just like the FWD cars.. when a RWD car shifts.. the weight is transferred 'back' to the front and the drive tires lose traction..etc.

So..to again answer your question... Yes..a front traction bar (or cross member) will help with wheel hop and traction problems. A rear traction bar like those found on the PRO FWD cars.. won't. Wheel hop should be called "wheel skipping" and traction problems DO contribute to snapped axles and other broken parts..

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
deepstaged.... infinate and i are thinking about fabbing up some traction bars of our own for our 97 civics... do you know of some dimensions of commonly used traction bars (jimfab, z10) that we can use to start from?

·
Registered
139 Posts
soccaian said:
deepstaged.... infinate and i are thinking about fabbing up some traction bars of our own for our 97 civics... do you know of some dimensions of commonly used traction bars (jimfab, z10) that we can use to start from?
I am currently in the process of fab'n my own crossmembers and traction bars myself and for the life of me... I can't remember what measurements I made..

I believe the tubing diameter we are using is 1.125" O.D. for the cross bar. the traction bars that connect to the control arm (I think) are .850 (or something). The angle is some where around 80 degrees and all the bars are tig welded. MIG welding will work but TIG gets better penetration.

The guy that I am partnering up with has all the measurements... I just kind of bring ideas to the table and front the money.... but I help from time to time with the welding...:lol2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts