Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I start my 95 GSR when it's cold or cool it has a knocking sound, which sounds like it's coming from the bottom end. I watched the oil pressure gauge the one day and soon as the pressure is up it stops, which is fairly quick. Any ideas what the knocking could be?

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
flyracerx said:
i don't understand why everyone says "when the oil pressure is up" from a start.

mine starts and the oil press is up to 75psi and slowly drops until i rev it or something.

when you start the oil=cold and thick... motor warms up, oil thins out, pressure drops

when you rev, it ups the pressure because it has to pump more

·
Registered
137 Posts
when you start the oil=cold and thick...

That is the noise you are hearing. When it is cold outside and your car has been sitting for a while the oil all settles in the oil pan. When you start your car in the cold it takes a little longer for that cold thick oil to get to all the parts of the motor to do its job of lubricating, so long story short.... the noise you are hearing is engine internals that havent had oil to them yet (crankshaft, main bearing, rods) Those take some time for the thick oil to get in and do its job.

No worries (cold weather sucks... Wisconsin :) )

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
would it be worth running some Lucas? Supposedly it's really good. If you look at those little gear things that are for like a little demo idea with regular oil and lucas, lucas lubricates twice as good.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Tegster said:
would it be worth running some Lucas? Supposedly it's really good. If you look at those little gear things that are for like a little demo idea with regular oil and lucas, lucas lubricates twice as good.
if you look at those little gear things and compare the two, lucas makes the oil bubble up. bubbles = bad. bubbles = less protection.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Tegster said:

we're talking about coldness affecting oil flowing, something that lucas does not help in any way...

when its cold, idle for 30 sec or a min to let the oil heat up and lubricate all the parts of the motor before you put the strain of driving on it...

if its really cold for a big part of the year this would be a royal pain in the ass, and i would suggest an electric engine block heater

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From what I heard today lucas is just a bandaid to cover up problems. I think I'll just leave it alone. Also I've had 5 integras and this is the first one to have this knocking sound when cold, I seem to maybe remember my 94 GSR doing it sometimes but am not sure. It's not even that cold either when I'm starting it in the morning. My one integra was being started in -30C weather and didn't knock, this one is being started in +5c weather and kncoking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tegster said:
From what I heard today lucas is just a bandaid to cover up problems. I think I'll just leave it alone. Also I've had 5 integras and this is the first one to have this knocking sound when cold, I seem to maybe remember my 94 GSR doing it sometimes but am not sure. It's not even that cold either when I'm starting it in the morning. My one integra was being started in -30C weather and didn't knock, this one is being started in +5c weather and kncoking.
5 integras? damn y so many?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
99dc2 said:
5 integras? damn y so many?
Well to sum it up. There a hot item where I live, I decided that after I came across some unbeatable deals outside of my city that I would buy and sell a few to work myself into a DC2 GSR. I had wanted DC2 GSR since I got into Hondas back in 96. Well after buying and selling a few g2's and making some coin I bought myself a 94 GSR. Well after about a yr. of owning it I decided that I wanted to go back to school, so I sold it. All through school I missed my 94 and nothing seemed to compare (being that I am a die hard Honda fan). So I bought a 90 G2 for a good deal, turned around and sold it for a little bundle and bought a 95 GSR which I currently own and love to shit. I plan on keeping it till it's ready to be sent to the junk yard espeicially that it only has 54,000miles on it. I also plan on buying an s4 in about 3 months lol, so the integra will be with me for a while and will be my track queen one day :). Oh ya I've had 6 integras not 5 lol

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well the rattle seems to be getting louder. I mean it still goes away soon as the oil gauge hits 75. But It's deffinatly getting louder and causing me to worry a bit. It only has 55,000 miles on it. It seems hard to believe that it could be serious but you never know. Guess I'll have to take it in and get it looked at.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Took it in and they said it's fine. That rattle is still there though and of course didn't do it when it was in to be looked at, it only does it at a certain temp. Could it be valves that maybe are making the noise?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.