Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2000 civic hatch. i'm having a hard time choosing between the koni and kyb. i've heard that the koni's are better quality and most people recommend those, buy the agx's r cheaper, but still good. i also heard that the koni's are height adjustable....not sure if thats true though.
i'm also buying springs. i'm gettin h&r for sure but not sure how low i should go. my friend is telling me to go with the race but i don't wanna go so low that my car is scratching every bump. my cars bone stock.
if i buy 17" rims, does that make my car a little bit higher? if not i think i'll jus go with the sport drop.
i'm new to this.
any input would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
so far i have nothing but good things to say about my AGX's. had 'em almost a year now, and still lovin 'em :hug

as for the springs, if your gettin 17's, i would prolly get the H&R sports. you would prolly rub on the race springs.

i have neuspeed sports (ALMOST the same as H&R sports) w/ my AGX's and 17's, but i'm starting to get sick of the 17's, so i'm thinkin of sellin the rims and sport springs and getting neuspeed race springs on the stock SE rims :w00t

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
you cant compare the two. first of all the koni's are about $200 more a set when compared to agx's. they are height adjustable, however you have to remove them if you want to adjust them and they're not like coilover sleeves.
plus the koni's are ~ adjustable. no clicks no numbers to worry about.

i had yellows on my civic along with h&r race then with neuspeed race spring and loved them.

i had kyb agx's with some B&G springs (1.6") drop on my gsx and the fronts blew in less than a year.

on the galant i had them with ground control coilovers and the fronts blew in less than 6mo. also one of the knobs on the front ones was frozen solid. i'll never put agx's on my car even if someone will give them to me for free.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
I love my koni yellows with h&r sports. I would not recommend the race springs to anyone who daily drives their car. The sports are about as low and as stiff as you can go and still be comfortable/practical.

As for koni vs. kyb. koni is a better shock, plain and simple. Question is, do you need it? If you don't plan to put your car on a track or regular auto-x, then just get the kyb agx's.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
i wouldn't even consider the kyb's...

if you want adjustability and are on a budget, go w/ the tokicos. WAY better than agx.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
good choice indeed.....but the question is...do you NEED the yellows?

cuz if you really are on a budget and you don't plan on road racing at all, then tokicos are an awesome street setup for almost $100 less.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i'm not gonna take it to the track or anything.
i probably don't NEED them.
but i want something really good, cuz if i do get more into.....'racing' then i'll prolly need them. better safe than sorry

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
don't the konies also have a lifetime warranty?

if that's the case...
you'll save a lot of money over the course of ownership of the car!

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
theflipimage said:
don't the konies also have a lifetime warranty?

if that's the case...
you'll save a lot of money over the course of ownership of the car!
lifetime warranty for daily driven use....if you race at all it voids the warranty. when they inspect the strut after you return it for warranty claim, they can easily tell if it was raced on.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
right...

but essentially it would be the last damper you'd ever have to buy?

for those that can afford them, that right there is worth it (assuming you don't race, of course)...

i myself have agx dampers w/ neuspeed sports for the last 4 years on my 6th gen civic hatch...

i've been thinking about stepping up, as they don't give me the amount of damping i need for my autocross needs...

i'm torn between the koni yellow w/ ground control coilover sleeves, or tein flexes...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ya. i plan on keeping the car for as long as possible. flipimage, so i guess the agx's weren't good enough?
the best deal i saw online for the koni's was 500$ shipped. but i live in canada so that means i gotta pay duty tax and all that shit. anyone know any better prices? and where i can get them?

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
in that respect yes...but they are just way overkill for a street application. the tokicos i had in my accord lasted more than 4 years before i sold the car...i bet the new owner is still riding on the same struts too.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
the agx are good for daily driving...
everyone i had test drive my car also said my suspension set up was great...

it's a funny thing...
i didn't think they felt different from stock dampers when in the driver's seat, but when you sit in the passenger seat while someone else is driving, you can really feel the difference... and the ride was great...

the konies feel STIFF (my friend has the same car, same springs as me) compared to my setup...

the major difference i felt is in the rebound...
whereas the agx is a little slower to settle after a bump, the koni will seemingly not compress in the first place (the rebound is that fast).

i have yet to see what the tein flex have to offer though...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.