Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup those are the tires ive decided to go with for my 15" si rims (prelude ones, not civic). They come in two different sizes.. 205/50/15 and 205/55/15. I want to know is there any noticable difference between the 50 and the 55? Which one would I be better off with? Thanks..

· Registered
165 Posts
umm 50 will look better, they will be more low-profile than the 55's. You wont be able to tell THAT much of a diffrence so buy the cheapper ones LOL. I dont think Proformance wise they are diffrent. i could be wrong.....

· Registered
12,727 Posts
whats the stock tire size??? you want to keep the overall diameter the same on the tire.

· Registered
404 Posts
The 205/50R15's are a little smaller than the stock overall wheel diameter.

The 205/55R15's are somewhat larger than the stock overall wheel diameter.

· Registered
8,520 Posts
Isn' the "R" the speed rating ? I may be wrong.

· Registered
370 Posts
My brother replaced his stock 55 series tires with that brand and size tire on his 96 Prelude SI. He noticed that the RPM's ran higher than before for any given speed, and the car seemed to take off a little better, but not much. Other than that and the speedometer being off just a little there will be no diference.
I personally would go with the 55's because your speedometer will be correct, you will get better gas mileage, from what I remeber both sizes are within $3 difference, and the size difference is not that noticable

· Registered
396 Posts
if the 50's are slightly smaller than stock, and the 55's slightly larger, i'd go with the 50 series... this shortens your gear ratios (by a small amount) which is why Lord Accord's friend's car was revving higher at the same speed. this will also give you a little more torque at the expense of a little top speed.

if your speedo will be off with either tire, you're safer going with the 50's because it'll read slower than you're actually going.

· Registered
2,548 Posts
Lord Accord said:
My brother replaced his stock 55 series tires with that brand and size tire on his 96 Prelude SI. He noticed that the RPM's ran higher than before for any given speed, and the car seemed to take off a little better, but not much. Other than that and the speedometer being off just a little there will be no diference.
I personally would go with the 55's because your speedometer will be correct, you will get better gas mileage, from what I remeber both sizes are within $3 difference, and the size difference is not that noticable
speed according to speedo? if so, he's wrong. The car has no idea what size tires youre running. Tach and speedo are taken from the same measurement.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.