Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody use their laptops for serious gaming?

If the majority of your play is on your laptop even if you got a desktop or console, prefer your laptop over your destop, use it for more then Minesweeper, etc. then I would like to hear about your experiences.:)

How much RAM you running, how's your online experience with your laptop? Stuff like that.;)

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
i got a shiba dual core(I) 1.77ghertz
1.5 ram

and when it comes to serious, i SERIOUSLY look for games that can be played on here with awesome effects.
NOT the other way around where i get a game and have to by a laptop to accomodate.

rite now im in love with hitman
i have halo, but havent played it
and doom 3 scares me, though i have all the codes
i seen the hulk and ironman games, the specs seem to agree with my laptop, im waiting a little longer till i can get them on a torrent. thats how i get all my games, torrents.

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
yea, i want to get more ram, and wehn i dl from torrents, i usually get all the upgrades and fixes too. so its cool

·
Young&Dangerous
10,160 Posts
i have a xps 1330, but i use it mostly for work and alot of app development.

I dont think RAM is a big deal as most of the time it never gose over 50% usage. Things to look for is video card, how fast your MB bus speed and access time from HD.

and as for internet it's all in your ISP and being on a N/1000gb network.

one bad thing about laptops is that they are always going to be a step behind desktops.

IMHO leave the gamming to desktops and laptop to do word processing and internet.

i have a qcore XPS 420 :ninja

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got a MacBook Pro First gen, 2ghz, 1.5 gigs of ram, x1600 graphics.. I can dual boot windows to play css and cod 4, it ran oblivion pretty well too. I've got WoW, and warcraft 3 on my mac side, plus a bunch of other random games. Laptops are fine for gaming if you don't care about top notch graphics.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I do the majority of my gaming on my laptop. I have an old desktop so I can't play on that and the only major console I have is a gamecube and ps2.

Anyways here are my spec:
2.0ghz AMD Turion
1gig RAM
80gig HD
x1600 ATI

I mainly use steam to get like 90% of my games and its great. I play tons of fps, what I have on my HD right now and what I currently play is TF2, CS:S, Left 4 Dead, Age of Chivalry, Audio Surf, Call of Duty 4, and Battle for Middle Earth 2. I would recommend having a really large hard drive to play because games takes up tons of space. I had to delete a bunch of games to free my HD, like GRID which took up 12 gigs and Strangle Hold with 13 gigs.

Ram is important, but whats most important is your graphic card. My run most recent games with decent setting but I would love to have more ram and a dual core processor because this turion is out dated. But whats keeping me alive is my ati x1600. I game on wireless internet and I can't even afford the faster high speed so I get max 1.5mb stream and it works pretty well and smoothly.

Plus, gaming on a laptop has its convenience like if your going to a friends how to play against each other it easy to carry around. Or if your trying to kill time in between class or study break in library, steam is there for you. Also, I like how my screen is widescreen (15.4) and that many games takes advantage of that, which when I played on my friend desktop that is a 20" (4:3) monitor kinds of annoyed me.

Well thats my take, I can go on so if you have anymore question hit me up!

·
Registered
177 Posts
All my gaming is done on a laptop I dont have a desktop.

HP Pavilion dv5t
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor P8600 (2.4 GHz)
- 15.4" diagonal WSXGA+ High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1680 x 1050)
- 4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
- 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

I just got this one a little over a month ago cause my other one crapped out on me. All the games I have played are at max settings (except Crysis obviously), Mass Effect, CSS,L4D demo,HL2:Epsiode 2,bioshock demo

Dont have a desktop cause I also use my comp for school for programs like Solidworks,ProE and CosmoFlow. So when im doing HW and i wanna take a break BAM open steam up and play some CSS

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
The only computer that I have (besides work) is a laptop

It is a dell XPS 1710
DualCore 2.16 Ghz
4gbRam
512mb ATI Radeon (forget the exact model)
17in Display (1900*1200 rez. :) )

It runs everything pretty good, it was expensive as hell when I first got it, but it has served me well for 2 years.

I also have a ps3

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
compared to you guys, i see where im coming up short.. i know graphics card says alot and is the heart of the game. but dont shun the processor, mines is 1.7. TWO plus is apparently where its at. 512 graphics radeon isnt that much special than what comes with the laptop. i guess i can upgrade to a better laptop for the processor, im sure a better graphics card will come along with it hand in hand.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
yeah i use mine for gaming. makes it a lot easier if you get an adapter hub. so you can use a real keyboard and mouse. also has a hook up for a monitor.

but yeah. i have an xps m1530 lap

2.5 core 2 duo processor t9300 with 800mhz fsb 6 mb cache
6 gig ram ddr2 800 mhz
256 nvidia geforce 8600m gt
500 gig hdd

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
yeah i use mine for gaming. makes it a lot easier if you get an adapter hub. so you can use a real keyboard and mouse. also has a hook up for a monitor.

but yeah. i have an xps m1530 lap

2.5 core 2 duo processor t9300 with 800mhz fsb 6 mb cache
6 gig ram ddr2 800 mhz
256 nvidia geforce 8600m gt
500 gig hdd
how much

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
I only have a laptop. I got a Lenovo R61 with the only upgrade being another gig of ram giving me 2gb.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.