Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay what is the most effective way to launch and still hookup......

so what RPM are you holding the tach at..?....and when you "pop it" are you at full throttle while you are slipping the clutch....or just enough to get going.....?

so tell me the ways...

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
evo/X said:
okay what is the most effective way to launch and still hookup......

so what RPM are you holding the tach at..?....and when you "pop it" are you at full throttle while you are slipping the clutch....or just enough to get going.....?

so tell me the ways...
most effective would be using a 2-step, dumping the cluth, on slicks

slipping the clutch will eat it up really fast..but if you are on street tires you dont have much choice except launching at a lower rpm....either way..slipping it or dropping the rpm too low slows you down...you want to keep the motor in its optimum operating range rpm wise..out of that range and you slow down. simple as that..if you bog, you are slowing down...if you launch too high you break the tires loose and slow down.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
VTECsqznN2O said:
most effective would be using a 2-step, dumping the cluth, on slicks

slipping the clutch will eat it up really fast..but if you are on street tires you dont have much choice except launching at a lower rpm....either way..slipping it or dropping the rpm too low slows you down...you want to keep the motor in its optimum operating range rpm wise..out of that range and you slow down. simple as that..if you bog, you are slowing down...if you launch too high you break the tires loose and slow down.
very well put.

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
every car/driver/setup is different. what works for others might not work for you. so you need to practice, practice, and practice some more untill you get it right.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
iLLeFFeKt CiViC said:
every car/driver/setup is different. what works for others might not work for you. so you need to practice, practice, and practice some more untill you get it right.
x 2. Practice, Practice, Practice....

Just don't get a ticket for imprudent driving or noise pollution :p

..And try not to burn up your clutch.

·
Registered
144 Posts
sometimes when i pop the clutch, usually between 2-3k , some days the tires will sratch, and some times it wont..if the tires spin, but no squeal, am i doing it wrong? i just started driving mt so bare with me.., since my camry died, i switched to this accord =)

·
Registered
161 Posts
eightyNINE corolla?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just have to practice, there's no magic rpm to do it at, it all depends on your clutch and throttle. I'd advise not to feather the clutch if its a stock clutch. If you feel you're spinning too much when you do it, try holding the throttle a little more than halfway, and then when u feel you have grip, step on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
if you feather it it helps a lot if you have a front wheel drive car with a lot of power then its gonna spin no matter what unless you have slicks or radials which then you chance breaking your axles.... dont just dump the clutch in first take off likda easy dont get on it fully till like third gear

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
if you feather it it helps a lot if you have a front wheel drive car with a lot of power then its gonna spin no matter what unless you have slicks or radials which then you chance breaking your axles.... dont just dump the clutch in first take off likda easy dont get on it fully till like third gear
you can break axles on street tires as well. And if you're honestly worried about breaking, you dont need to be on the track. You can get on it fully as soon as the car hooks..it all depends on how much power you have and what trans you are running.

·
Registered
144 Posts
yeah, since my past post on this thread, which was like last year, ahah. i got a new clutch, exedy. now its way different to launch, i can't just pop it anymore..i have to keep the throttle on and lift the clutch slowly, till i get grip. and like everyone said, practice! but if you're not at the track, find an empty street or lot with no po-po to spoil the fun haha.

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.