Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i just got my engine back together after build up for turbo.

car starts fine. but i have a leak coming from the bottom of the flywheel where the black cover goes.

i pretty sure it is tranny fluid, it is a drip leak. any ideas on what this could be and how to fix it.

to the tranny i added a new clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, i dont know if this helps.

thanks

_platinum

·
Registered
9 Posts
uh oh, that dosn't sound great...
I would look into either the intake shaft seal on the tranny, or your PTO seal on you engin, one quick way to find out which one it is, would be to spray some sort of combustable fluid (carb cleaner) up there on the motor side, and if it revs up on its own, you have a leaky PTO seal, you should be able to replace it by taking the tranny out and pulling the seal towards the outside, as for the tranny seal, i am not really sure..

Good Luck

·
Registered
114 Posts
PTO= power take off, this is something you would find on heavy equipment, dump trks etc. also spraying carb cleaner up into the area of the clutch would not make the engine run faster if there was a oil leak as there is no connection from there to the intake of the engine. you need to remove the inspection cover under the clutch and look to see if the oil is leaking down the back of the engine, in which case it is going to be the rear engine seal. did you put any silacone in the corners of the seal where the rear bearing cap coes on? this is a common place for a leak. if the leak is comming down the front of the trans then you have a bad trans seal. more likly its the engine rear seal sense you said you just put it together. hope it helps. don't feel bad it has happened before and will happen again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im leaning towards the rear main seal now too.

it is either that or the oil pan gasket, since i used the old one.

basicly if it is the rear seal. what do i need to do.

take the tranny out, then replace the seal. i think i have access to it then.

or do i need to pull the whole engine again.

thanks

_platinum

·
Registered
834 Posts
id put a new rear main seal in and oil pan gasket if you didnt put one in when u built the motor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea i replaced the oil pan gasket 1st since that was the easy thing to do. still leaking. wtf.l

o well looks like i gotta rip the tranny back off. what fun.

it the rear main seal and the main oil seal the same thing.

it's just the little cap liike thing that goes on the end of the engine and the crank right.

just making sure im fixing the right thing. also. is there a way to start my engine wiht the tranny off to see if it is still leaking, this way i dont put it back together to find out im a retard and did it wrong.

thanks

·
Registered
834 Posts
yup, you need a specail tool if im correct to pull it not sure though.. but you said you reused your old oil pan gasket or put a new one on?? I only use em 1 time w/ honda bond on the edges of the gasket and spaced out dabs with a brand new gasket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts