Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i currently do not know how to drive a manual transmission car, am waiting to get my license and hopefully be able to buy a lude as my first car, my question is will i hurt the transmission if i try and learn how to drive a manual tranny on the lude or will the tranny be ok

·
Registered
199 Posts
That completely depends on you. More than likely you are not gonna hurt the tranny. You will prob but a decent amount of wear in the clutch though. If you are sensible and don't do anything stupid then you should be ok. Just try not to grind the gears really bad or like drop it into second running 65 or anything like that.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
its funny how you can tell that people mess up down shifting on the hwy :) like they'll pull up right beside you, going back and forward like they want to race or some thing :) then all of a sudden their engine rev up but their car slow down , almost like they hit the brake :) lolz what a bunch of loser.

·
Registered
199 Posts
especially when you hear the engine hit like 10 grand and the nose of the car just drops, then they get embarrased and either stay way behind you or blow by you while your just cruisin.

·
Registered
547 Posts
i learned how to drive stick incredibly fast... i got my car on july8th at 9:33 pm, so i took it out for 20 sumthin minutes just to drive it. (my dad "suprised" me with it, but then i had to pay him:()the next day,... i drove to the ymca, the mall, my school, and all over the place fine... without stalling. the best way to practice, is to keep starting from a stop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i am in the same boat....right now i drive a 96 teg LS (auto) and theres a lady selling her base prelude (sportshift) w/ extremely low miles, in good condition no accidents whatsoever and for a good price. anyway i wnat to get rid of my teg and get the lude because i love the styling of the 5G preludes and ever since they came out i wanted one. BUT, heres my dilemma, i dont know what to do... should i get this SS lude..i drive a lot in the city and i kinda like just driving freely OR wait and get a manual but the thing is i dont know how to drive a manual and to be honest i am kind of scared because theres some pretty steep hills in the downtown and some other areas and cars will get right up on your ass....i am afraid i might roll back and hit them or something? what should i do?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Prelude is a good car to learn on.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I learned how to drive a 5 speed on an old S-10 that my friend used to have...Its all about practicing though....If you really suck, you could mess up your tranny

·
Registered
547 Posts
here's a tip for steep hills...

ur on the hill and ur brake is pushed, but if u take it off u'll roll back, so pull up the e-brake and put it in gear. as u start to let out the clutch, let the e-brake down. my sister taught that to me!!! works good, u just gotta get it down! peACE!

·
Registered
148 Posts
don't worry about it bro, you'll be fine. i remember when i bought my lude, i had only driven stick once before. i stalled it once when i was testing it out but the guy was cool so its all good. now i'm pro. you'll get better at it when you drive for like 2 weeks. then after about a month or two, you'll never worry about stalling it or anything. my biggest worry was that i would stall it as i was turning left in front of traffic and have no way out and i would be sitting there in the middle of the intersection trying to start the car as i get ripped apart by like 3 cars going 60mph.

·
Registered
814 Posts
three words for you...

ride the clutch...

you'll be driving stick in no time...

·
Registered
174 Posts
ALTERED4 said:
three words for you...

ride the clutch...

you'll be driving stick in no time...
I forget how I learned... it has been so long it feels like riding a bike. My dad took me out in our 90 Tercel 5spd when I was ~14-16 on the back roads near my old cottage. Dirt roads are more forgiving...

Good luck (and don't even consider an auto!)

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
i learned stick before i ever drove an automatic...the prelude is an easy car to learn on though. i learned on my sisters old accord with an almost shot clutch.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Stick is easy to drive... U just have to learn how to balance the clutch and gas (just play with it)... Try to give a little gas and let go the clutch slowly, and u will be all good.. Talk about hills...I live in SF, CA near Chinatown area .. We got some steep hill here ( i am talking about 60 degree or 65 degree hills) and i am driving on a stage 4 clutch... Dam, that clutch is hella hard to drive.. I still die something on the hill, but I will be good at it soon... Just don't be embrass and try again...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts