Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
12,727 Posts
my grandpa was a trucker. leave it in 2nd gear without the E brake on on flats. on hills E brake and 2nd gear.

WHY???

cause if you get hit and you fuck up your 1st gear synchro your fucked. if you still have first 1-3 shifts isn't bad at all.

E brake shouldn't be put on since it could freeze up. especially in cold states where it snows. brakes create heat...that how you stop..creating energy to heat. well when snow gets on brakes it melts...and in cold ass temps it will freeze your brakes shut.

· Registered
1,688 Posts
i never park in gear....i once did and i started the car...almost hit my sister's land cruiser and it scared the shit out of me....the rear bumper costs like 800 bucks...

neutral and e brake for me..

· Registered
12,727 Posts
Murdah One said:
i never park in gear....i once did and i started the car...almost hit my sister's land cruiser and it scared the shit out of me....the rear bumper costs like 800 bucks...

neutral and e brake for me..
maybe you should consider getting a brain for that head.

· Registered
12,727 Posts
Murdah One said:

maybe you should get some balls along with your dick....:eek:

4 years of parking like that....fine with me..:p
I got balls...they are in your mouth.

· Registered
2,092 Posts
if you get hit it will fuck up your tranny by forcing the car to move while the engine is not moving and the car is in gear...

i leave mine in neutral and pull the ebrake all the way.

lookatme had a good point about the snow freezing onto the brakes...never thought of that.

· Registered
13 Posts
Whelp, leaving your car in gear to act as a safety incase your e-brake fails is a good thing. But if you are hit while parked in this manner, it will do transmission damage. I had a friend with a civic who left the car in 1st with ebrake on and got plowed in the rear end, the transmission took a beating, and was never the same after that. He ended up replacing it a few months later (he had a warranty though, whew).

Btw, I am new here (to the new site atleast), you can find me on po.com alot. So here's my hello to everyone!

-Cyberhide
2001 Prelude Base 5Speed EBP

· Registered
1,490 Posts
I leave it neutral and pull the parking brake. Even if the parking break freezes it only affects the rear wheels...aren't they on a different system anyway? I figure it's cheaper to replace the parking break than the synchro.

· Registered
12,727 Posts
AEgeus said:
I leave it neutral and pull the parking brake. Even if the parking break freezes it only affects the rear wheels...aren't they on a different system anyway? I figure it's cheaper to replace the parking break than the synchro.
if the brakes freeze you either two it back....or wait till it gets warm enough to defreeze itself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.