Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm from Canada.... Yes I have searched.... I wanted to know what are/is the legal limit to which you can lower your car according to the highway laws (in the U.S.). Basically I'm looking for the ground up to headlight measurement the "cops" use. Thanks alot. :D

·
Registered
404 Posts
In the US, highway laws, while fairly standardized, are the purview of the states. Most states phrase their height regulations in terms of acceptable heights for headlights and sometimes bumpers. (Cars sold in the US do face some federal bumper-height mandates - The federal government may regulate what vehicles can and cannot be sold in the US, but not what is leagal to drive in any particular state.)

However, state legislatures are often informal, paroichal affairs, and all it takes is one crusading parent with a dead child to get something strange outlawed sometimes.

On something as arcane as lowering, each state could vary widely, and you would have to check each state's department of public safety web site. (There will be a driver's handbook for that state, which will be a good place to start your research.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts