Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I’ve got a 95 integra ls that’s in fairly good condition. But its been in a moderate wreck. And im thinking about swapping out the engine into a civic hatch dx. Preferably a 98 or 99.

I have no experience in swapping engines. But im pretty confident and can problem solve pretty well.

My question is that if I do swap engines. What types of thing would I have to do, to make it legal? Such as dealing with the DMV, and SMOG. Are there any paper work involved? And what else should I need to know before I do this.

And Does anyone know any good sites or any books or prints out there that I can purchase that will help me with the engine swap?

alright ya;ll gotta go to work....

thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I would be intereted in the integra...... let me know if your wiling to sell it..... how badly damaged and approximently how much you need for it....... I can pick up ...... also does it have a pinkslip title or salvage?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Most states don't allow you to put an older engine in a newer car. It has to be the same year or newer.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
...but most states never find out...and i don't think most people at emission testing will have any idea what motor you have, at least around here they don't even look.

·
Registered
432 Posts
cmills83 said:
...but most states never find out...and i don't think most people at emission testing will have any idea what motor you have, at least around here they don't even look.
Your probably right about "most states", but California is pretty strict.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
i've been facing the same dilemma for a while. . . indiana doesn't have testing of any kind really (not that i'm aware of) but i'm thinkin about maybe moving to san jose, ca in the future so that kinda botches is. it's really f'n hard to find a 2000year engine for cheap, that's for sure.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
damn that sucks. but i like the 98-99 hatches much better than the old ones.

well i got this car now, and have nothign to do with it.....i would fix it but man i dont really want to waste money to do it. i'd rather do a swap, that would be much more worth it.

KINGHAWK i PM'ed you reply back if your interested.

Anyone interested.??? it would be a great convert or parts car. brakes engine interior would be cool in a hatch....that was my original intent.

everything is in realll reall good condition. i say this becasue it is a used the salvaged vehicle.

HEY "KOMMON_SENSE" what do you mean by 5G hatch? is that the older hatches?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
5G hatches are from 92-95 (the 5th generation for civics), and by far my prefered hatchback model, styling, suspension, odbi, etc.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
HondaB18 said:
damn that sucks. but i like the 98-99 hatches much better than the old ones.

HEY "KOMMON_SENSE" what do you mean by 5G hatch? is that the older hatches?
Yep, 5G is the 92-95 hatches. It would be legal to swap the motor into one of them, and they are odb1. That could make things a little simpler for you down the road depending on what your plans are.

Also, you have other options. You have a wrecked teg. This means that you already have all of the parts for a b-series swap/changeover. You could just go buy a longblock for a b16 for $900 and find an ECU somewhere, or get a b18c1 longblock, etc. You could probably get rid of your current b18b block for a decent price, as well. So going this route wouldn't cost too much extra.

Also, remember that you could swap a lot of parts over from the teg... Seats... larger front disc brakes and rear disc brakes, etc. just throwing those things out there.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OH GOD...

so many choices.!!! really good ones too...maybe i should poll on what to do. either sell, fix, or conversion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts