Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've got good news for you! The information you recently submitted qualifies you to participate as an Online Gaming Beta Tester!

woohoo!! i'm awesome :D
i got picked to test the ps2's network adapter!!...too bad they won't let me keep it after i'm done testing it :(

ah well..anyone else get picked to do this?

· Registered
1,104 Posts
can I join?

· Registered
1,104 Posts
for what game? what system?

· Registered
1,103 Posts
Lag is all I have to say for the PS2. It's not even going to compare to the Xbox's broadband network system which will debut this early summer with Unreal Tournament being the first online game for it. Look at the record of addon failures in the past such as the Nintendo 64DD and Sega CD; the list goes on. Who wants to buy a 40 dollar adapter and lets say about 100 for the harddrive. Would you rather have an Xbox which comes with all of this or a hardware-obsolete $500 PS2 system? I know I'm harsh about the PS2, but it's the truth.

· Registered
253 Posts
joecool said:
We've got good news for you! The information you recently submitted qualifies you to participate as an Online Gaming Beta Tester!

woohoo!! i'm awesome :D
i got picked to test the ps2's network adapter!!...too bad they won't let me keep it after i'm done testing it :(

ah well..anyone else get picked to do this?
i got the e-mail from playstation to sign up for the bata testing. i did every thing i said to do so did they send u an email telling you that you were picked to be a tester?

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well i got the network adapter in the mail today :D :D

only problem is...nobody is connected to the network..so that sorta makes online play hard..ya know!

hopefully i can tell you all what its like later on tonight

· Premium Member
13,997 Posts
tyooning said:
Lag is all I have to say for the PS2. It's not even going to compare to the Xbox's broadband network system which will debut this early summer with Unreal Tournament being the first online game for it. Look at the record of addon failures in the past such as the Nintendo 64DD and Sega CD; the list goes on. Who wants to buy a 40 dollar adapter and lets say about 100 for the harddrive. Would you rather have an Xbox which comes with all of this or a hardware-obsolete $500 PS2 system? I know I'm harsh about the PS2, but it's the truth.
Ouch someone has been doing some real thinking about this.... Also dont forget memory card....another thing the xbox doesnt need to work.

Nor do you need a multiplayer tap to have 4 player fun....GEE what else does ps2 try pulling to get money which the xbox doesnt.

· Premium Member
13,997 Posts
ps2 - 300
memory card - 40
4 player support - 40
stand - 30
hd - 100
network adapter - 50
cpu 300mhz
remote = 30
total cost = 560 plus half the speed

xbox - 300
memory card - doesnt need it has hd
4 player support - 0
stand - not needed
hd - included
network adapter - included
700mhz cpu
nvidia graphics chip (no one can touch nvidia)
remote = 30
total cost = 330

· Registered
853 Posts
Im a believer

mike_sho said:
ps2 - 300
memory card - 40
4 player support - 40
stand - 30
hd - 100
network adapter - 50
cpu 300mhz
remote = 30

xbox - 300
4 player support - 0
stand - not needed
hd - included
700mhz cpu
remote = 30
total cost = 330
Im planning to get one next month.

I just dont like the controls. Maybe because Im so used to the Playstation ones.

Cant wait until Xbox has more fighting games out.

Dont they have a SF out?

· Registered
15 Posts
the only good thing about the xbox are the graphics...and theyre not even that great...i got my computer hooked up to my tv....and the games look MUCH better than the xbox's...plus, i can play them longer than i can play xbox games...im sorry to say this, but xbox games are so damn boring...plues, dont u have to buy some device to get the dvd working on the xbox ??? the dvd rom is already in the xbox...they just make u pay more money to just get it working...ps2 on the other hand has a huge collection of games...theyre still not better than games u can find for the pc...but some are....such as ffx, gta3, gt3....

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mike_sho said:
ps2 - 300
memory card - 40
4 player support - 40
stand - 30
hd - 100
network adapter - 50
cpu 300mhz
remote = 30

xbox - 300
4 player support - 0
stand - not needed
hd - included
700mhz cpu
remote = 30
total cost = 330
who in there right mind would pay for a stand?? get real mike...as for the hd and network prices..they haven't been announced..your prolly close though...and the rumor now is..they're going to bundle the hd and adapter with the ps2 and keep the price at 299 instead of lowering the price for the ps2...nobody needs a remote either..it just proves how lazy we are

the p3 in the xbox is a sisc processor..the ps2's processor is risc...meaning the ps2 can do more work in the same amout of time then the sisc processor of the xbox..i forget the meanings..i'll find an article later if you don't believe me....

the point is...the xbox isn't that huge of a leap over the ps2 in terms of performance..so there is no sense in comparing

oh yea..ps2's hd is 40 gig...xbox is only 8 :D

· Registered
1,103 Posts
Let's try not to turn facts into BS.

correction mike; the xbox is 733mhz
Go ahead and look for those articles on RISC. I have read most of them. Xbox is the most powerful of all and by far when compared to the PS2. You can't compare PS2's speed to the Xbox's. That's like comparing a Pentium4 to a AMD K6 chip, ok not that bad. But still. The PS2's hardware is already obsolete. While it has a RISC processor, it still is a slow with only 32mb ram and a POS video card. The Xbox is 2 to 3 times faster than the PS2. The Gamecube also has a RISC processor yet it cannot meet the speeds of the Xbox. You have to be a hardware newbie to say that CPU is all that matters when comparing speed. The Xbox's CPU is backed up by the most powerful video card in a gaming console to date and 64mb of ram. I hope that clears the performance issue.

Of course it is the games that matter. To say that the Xbox games are boring means that you have never played an Xbox and just haven't done your research. Xbox has had one of the best launches for a gaming console to date. Games like Rallisport Challenge, Halo, TonyHawk3, and Max Payne keep the Xbox live and rolling.

Back to the subject, due to the many factors that the PS2 has to overcome, I really think its online network is going to be a disappointment here in the states. The cost, of course, is a huge factor. PS2 owners have to spend an extra 200 or so just to get to play online while the Xbox is online-ready out the box. Did you know you can already play some Xbox games online for free right now? Using Gamespy's software many Xbox owners have been playing Halo online. I really don't think a game like Final Fantasy XI is going to do well. The series should stick to being an RPG. I can't see it being successful as an online game. Now Sony has a bit of competition with the MMORPGs that are coming out on the PC such as the World of Warcraft.

You know that the Xbox online network is going to be able to handle a lot more bandwidth compared to Sony's online network, especially when people with 56k modems start lagging up the games on the PS2 network :) As said, I love the PS2 and all, but I see nothing but good the Xbox online. This is nothing new to Microsoft and you will be seeing a lot more true hardcore gamers playing online with the Xbox. Now SiVamp and joecool might come in here and break me down because I am speaking on behalf of the Xbox :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.