Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i guess vents and scoops are the most cheap way...

also i heard turbo beanies are good..

also, how bout the cheap alternative of just leaving the hood popped open since u have to release the safety clip before u can open the hood?

· Registered
3,921 Posts
Yeah... you be sure to tell us how that "Driving with the hood popped" thing works out. :rolleyes: hehe...

~Peace :D

· Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol, i didnt mean with it popped up, i meant with it popped, but still clipped in the pin... and to do that, maybe upgrade that pin so that it's stronger...

either that, or raise the BACK of the bonnet closest to the windscreen with spacers... like some of the jap drifters do

· Registered
4,212 Posts
But why in the world would you wanna to race with your hood just popped but not up. It will affect your areodynamics. It will cool down the engine much better but it wont help you go faster or anything..

Vented/scooped hoods are the way to go, also a upgraded front bumper with extra vents will help much too.

BTW, sure pop the hood but with the saftey hooked up and also even with your custom pin or saftey bracket or etc, go 100 mph and see how your hood likes that kind of stress. Im not trying to sound like a smart ass or be rude but, your hood wont be able to handle that kind of stress, Imagine drivning in a big field and a huge powerful gust blows directly in front of you and that will break the hood bracket right off the car! Even with the custom saftey pin or bracket or whatsover that is holding the front hook, will be strong enough to hold the hood and you will be still at the speed and the hood is gonna be flapping all over the place like crazy hell fish that got itself unhooked and fell on the very extreme hot surface of the aluminum fishing boat's vee hull!

So.. do you get my point? or are you talking about, while at the track how to cool down the car?

· Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i understand what u mean... i shoulda been more specific... say for like city driving or like maximum speeds of up to say 50mph, whether it would be safe to leave the hood popped up.

i'll go with some hood vents and more vents in the front bumper when i get a body kit.. for the time being i'll probably just raise my hood a little bit at the side closest to the windscreen by changing the bolts there, or putting a few washers there so there is a space where the heat comes out..

thanks guys :)

· Registered
108 Posts
Are you doing this for speed or for engine life?

Remember an engine opperates at a certain temperature, and it's controlled by the thermostat. If your engine gets too cold, it'll close so that your engine warms right back up.

The only way you are going to gain more power is if you can stuff more air or colder air into the engine. Thus the reason for CAI's and Turbo's.

· Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah doing it for engine life, to keep the engine bay from heating up too much.. i'm worried the turbo generated heat has no where to escape.

ahhh i c... so getting the engine bay too cold wouldnt be a good idea.. i'm just worried on hot days thats all..

· Registered
108 Posts
94SiSQO said:
ahhh i c... so getting the engine bay too cold wouldnt be a good idea.. i'm just worried on hot days thats all..
Actually cooling your engine won't harm it. Just I figured you were doing it to gain power. Most people think, cold engine = more power. Sorry to jump to conclusions.

You're engine will figure out how to keep itself at the right tempurature, so a hood scoop will be fine. Don't leave the hood open :D It should probably make the turbo live longer.

· Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OR-G said:

Actually cooling your engine won't harm it. Just I figured you were doing it to gain power. Most people think, cold engine = more power. Sorry to jump to conclusions.

You're engine will figure out how to keep itself at the right tempurature, so a hood scoop will be fine. Don't leave the hood open :D It should probably make the turbo live longer.
nah thats cool :) u were trying to help

so there's no need for me to rush out at the time being to get like a scoop or vents or something?

just dont wanna overheat my baby thats all :) and prolong it's life as long as possible even with turbo.

· Registered
41 Posts
94SiSQO said:
raise the BACK of the bonnet closest to the windscreen with spacers... like some of the jap drifters do
my friend did that on his eclipse. Man, you can feel huge difference. His engine bay is just about as cool as mine, remember I have jet-hot coated manifold and exhuast housing. BTW, that's a NA eclipse and he turboed it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.