Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lexus wants $100,000-plus flagship supercar; version of LF-A concept likely to be built

MARK RECHTIN | Automotive News
Posted Date: 1/19/05

Seeking to enter the rarified world of super high performance, Lexus Division unveiled the LF-A concept at the Detroit auto show.

Executives say the concept is still in the consideration phase, but such statements are made with a wink. When pressed, Toyota sources said the sports car likely would appear in about three years, when Lexus’ upcoming product barrage hits a lull.

“The Lexus brand has reached a point where we can step up a bit, but we need to keep in mind what got us here,” said Denny Clements, Lexus Division general manager.

Toyota also wants to promote its entry into Formula 1 racing. But this car would be too expensive to carry a Toyota badge, executives said.

Jim Press, COO of Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc., compares the LF-A’s performance to that of a Porsche 911 Turbo, Ferrari F430 and Aston Martin DB9.

Lexus engineers said the engine would either be a V8 or V10, depending on potential rule changes made by the Formula 1 bosses. Press said the engine will have more than 500 hp from an engine displacing less than five liters.

Test cars have reached top speeds of around 200 mph at Toyota’s Arizona proving ground.

The LF-A rides on a wheelbase of 103 inches, and is 173 inches long.

If produced, the vehicle would cost more than $100,000.

A Toyota source says the car will not have a hybrid powertrain.
Good stuff. Lexus does need to step up their game a bit.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
hm.... interesting they didnt make volta. instead make a FR V10.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Samurai_X said:
new supra under lexus name?
heheh since they cannot sell it under toyota. too bloody expensive

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hmm...I wonder what kind of tranny they're going to use in that thing? The interior pics show a sequential paddle system, but I would hope they'd pop in a nice 6-gear. However, knowing Lexus, they'll more than likely use that paddle shifter.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I doubt that car would sell alot.. with 100G's.
with that that money you can get:
Porsche, M3,M5, and maybe import a nice skyline? Nsx? etc etc..

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
dodolaje said:
hm.... interesting they didnt make volta. instead make a FR V10.
How do you know it's FR? If you've seen rear pictures it's hard to argue against it being MR. No FR car is going to have gigantic rear vents with fans like that.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Cool idea. I hope they go through with it. It just better look better than that.

Matt

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
White98LS said:
How do you know it's FR? If you've seen rear pictures it's hard to argue against it being MR. No FR car is going to have gigantic rear vents with fans like that.
uhm.. maybe vent to to keep the car on the ground some aerodynamic

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
///M3ssican said:
needs to look more exotic though

I'd get a 6 series over this
still havent grow on me.. it just a 7 series with 2 door.. dont like it. i still like 5 series compare to the 7 and 6

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Yeah the 6-series looks tame and ordinary compared to this. The front to me is a little bland for what it is, but the back is awesome.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts