Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering purchasing a P4 as my next processor. i've been reading that it's fairly easy to get 2.7ghz out of a 2.4ghz chip, what i'm wondering is what effect does this have on the life span of the chip?
i've been told that most chips have a life expectancy of about 10-15 years, but that when they were overclocked and even if they're kept cool, they will run a maximum of about six months.
i'm getting this from a guy at school. please tell me this is a lie. i'm not planning on going any more than 2.7ghz may even just keep it at 2.4 if that's fast enough.
thanks for your help...

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
5gencivic said:
I'm considering purchasing a P4 as my next processor. i've been reading that it's fairly easy to get 2.7ghz out of a 2.4ghz chip, what i'm wondering is what effect does this have on the life span of the chip?
i've been told that most chips have a life expectancy of about 10-15 years, but that when they were overclocked and even if they're kept cool, they will run a maximum of about six months.
i'm getting this from a guy at school. please tell me this is a lie. i'm not planning on going any more than 2.7ghz may even just keep it at 2.4 if that's fast enough.
thanks for your help...
technically I believe that if you overclock from 2.4 to 2.7, your chip would last 12.5% shorter with adequate cooling power. I'm sure it will last more than 6 months, and you're talking only about 12.5% speed increase (hence the 12.5% I came up with for above, not sure about it though). I've seen some chips overclocked as much as 100% and they worked for years.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so with a kick ass cpu cooler and some arctic silver III i should be good?
if so then i'm getting a 2.4...

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
yeah, you should be fine, In my setup (p4 2.0a) although I don't overclock it yet (didn't have time to play with it), my damn video card (geforve 4 ti4400) produces a LOT more heat than the chip. those Northwoods run quite cool.
once you set it up, maybe don't jump to 2.7 right away, play it safe, and do 2.5 first, then 2.6, then 2.7, and each time see how the running temperature of the chip changes.

·
Banned
3,307 Posts
i'd say its safe to say...that the processor is going to last you long enough until your next purchase..so i wouldn't worry

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
accord 4 me said:
i'd say its safe to say...that the processor is going to last you long enough until your next purchase..so i wouldn't worry
HAHA.. exactly, it's not like anyone will have p4. 2.4GHz 10 years from now anyway :)

·
Registered
686 Posts
2.4's should do 2.7 easy. make sure you got the right ram, strong power supply, and a good heatsink. i also have a 2.0A i've done 2.66Ghz, and i've seen clocks of 2.7. besides p4s are fail safe so if it gets too high or too hot it'll lower the clock on its own.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
will a 350w antec power supply run an overclocked pentium four setup? or should i get a better powersupply?
also should i spend the money to get rambus or should i just stick with pc2700?

·
Registered
686 Posts
350 is perfect, i dont know much about overclocking and ram, whether rambus or ddr is better but 3200 ram will do just fine just get the cas2 one if you get ddr, epox boards do very in overclocking, havent seen reviews on the asus board but i'm sure its good. dont forget a good heatsink fan either

·
Registered
312 Posts
I don't think you'll see much of a difference if you go from 2.4 to 2.7. Will it make a difference in the computer speed...probably. Will 'you' notice the difference...probably not.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
i just got this pc on april 1. i got 1.8gig p4. im totally statisfied with the power and it runs perfect....but i only took it with a
gf2 mx and was intending to upgrade it by about now. but instead of taking another 400$ and putting on to it(i already have mostly high end stuff) i think im going togo for a 2.4 or maybe a bit higher by christmas. i was silly enough to buy a dell(got a deal:rolleyes: ) and as soon as i try change up anything it starts to get angry with me...even changing the ram was an annoyance.
so ill have to leave it alone. but my next pc i will surely go to a custom pc manufacturer. but as it is...with all the parts i ordered from dell this thing runs every game awesome...as well as all the other tasks..and trust me i use it alot. the only thing is the graphics as i said most definatley are shy when playing something like wolfenstein..im about to dl ut2003..thats not going to look pretty enough my geuss.
well...enough of my rambling...keep us posted as to what processor u get and whats the issues.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts