Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again, the search function is not working for me. Question: Is it worth it to put on a lightened flywheel on turbo motor? Thanks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
the lighter the better

·
Registered
146 Posts
lighter performance flywheel yes, lightened stock flywheel no

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Wadzii22 said:
the lighter the better
i've always heard this to be different, with a turbo setup.

·
Registered
172 Posts
OdiedogCX said:
i've always heard this to be different, with a turbo setup.
you read ********** too much..... a heavy flywheel takes more energy to spin, lighter is always better

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Wadzii22 said:
you read ********** too much..... a heavy flywheel takes more energy to spin, lighter is always better
From what i've heard and seen used, for all motor, yes .. but for turbo it's different.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Wadzii22 said:
you are totally wrong, i myself have a 11.9 lb flywheel made by act, but to me stock is the way to go for turbo.

the reason?
sure it takes a little bit more enerygy to get spinning, but with a stock flywheel you have mass, and mass holds the torque better between gears.
if you have a light flywheel, sure it spins fast but its also easier to slow down than stock. thats why if you have a boosted motor with a light flywheel its easier to bog between gears.
when you clutch a heavier flywheel the clutch and tranny dont slow the flywheel down as easy as a light flywheel

·
Registered
172 Posts
goto any race track and see what racer has a stock flywheel. if it bogs too much learn how to drive. we put a fidanza or a jun flywheel in every car we do. never had any complaints. when you build a motor you do all the research to find the lightest pistons and rods to go in there, you get it all balanced so that you have the lightest rotating assembly.. just to throw all that away with a heavy flywheel.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
you need the momentum of the heavier flywheel for turbo apps.
i forget the exact reasoning but i was told this by a few people who build pro cars. llighter is not always better.

·
Registered
172 Posts
itr206 said:
i forget the exact reasoning but i was told this by a few people who build pro cars. llighter is not always better.
find a pro car that has a heavy flywheel... as far as i know 90% of pro or even the faster street cars use tilton/os gilken or cm twin plate clutches... those have their own flywheel and the ENTIRE clutch and flywheel together is under 12lbs.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Wadzii22 said:
find a pro car that has a heavy flywheel... as far as i know 90% of pro or even the faster street cars use tilton/os gilken or cm twin plate clutches... those have their own flywheel and the ENTIRE clutch and flywheel together is under 12lbs.
Thats what ive seen also. Tilton shit is tiny but thick.
I dont see how people bog gears unless they shift while the tires are spinning.

With a lightend flywheel, the car will NOT fall on its face off the throttle. YEs the revs will drop quicker than a stock one but seriously it should not take you more than 1 second off the throttle to shift.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
itr206 said:
oh well, I guess I can shoot myself in the head for putting an 8lb flywheel on my car :cry:

I like it though...

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
i gotta remember the full explanation . something about needing the momentum off the line or something .?
ill find out

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
yeah cause you've got me wondering now about it.

I mean it doesn't feel bad or anything and the car revs faster but I'd like to know the flip side now that you say there is one

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Wadzii22 said:
seems like other people read too ******* much also ..

dumbass

·
Registered
17 Posts
Racing Flywheels:

EXEDY Racing Flywheels are made from solid one-piece billet chrome moly steel or chrome moly steel forgings. They are specifically designed to reduce weight and inertia for better engine response. Most incorporate special design features to enhance the air flow to improve the cooling of the clutch. The ring gear teeth are milled onto the flywheel unlike an aluminum flywheel where the ring gear is pressed onto the flywheel which has the possibilities of separating from the flywheel. This could cause the flywheel to explode due to two different expansion coefficients (aluminum flywheel pressed on steel ring gear). EXEDY steel billet and forged steel flywheels have passed engineering tests to 15,000 rpm. They are guaranteed to be explosion proof at the said rpm. For Purchase information Please Click Here: :: http://www.mitsubishigraveyard.com/direct.html

1 - 19 of 19 Posts