Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, this is my problem, i gotta get a clutch and flywheel this week!!! and i want a lightweight flywheel, but i dont know how light i should go, i can go from 6.5 lbs to 18 lbs (stock) but i dont think i should get 6.5 its a bit TOO light, and i think i would stall just about everyday..... so i was thinking maybe 9.5 lbs??? i dunno, i need help, ok this is my question, lightweight flywheel makes you accelarate faster, thus meaning you go faster quicker... so i was wondering on a Stock CRX if you just put a flywheel what should you expect to run at the track??? (mine is not stock) i have a worked head port and polished with street cams, valves, retainers, etc.... also i was wondering what do you guys run for fuel pressure??? cause i believe im taking in too much air in and not enough fuel..... Please help in my questions, thank you!!!

· Registered
273 Posts
i have a clutchmasters 8lb flywheel with a ACT HD/SS clutch. the 8lb is fine and i dont stall, but I would imagine depending on the stage clutch there would be a stalling problem. like a 6 puck with a 6.5lb flywheel would take some getting used to. My car accelerates a shitload faster with the lighter fywheel. what clutch are you getting?

· Registered
1,428 Posts
i have the JUN Ultralight flywheel and its just fine.........accelerates a lot faster ideally for an all motor car you want around 9lbs

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have headwork,(port and polished head, valves, valve seals, retainers, Cam the works...) and i have an alternator lightweight pulley... i was thinking of getting a ACT stage 2 Clutch.... and about 9.5 lb alluminum flywheel?? i hear it cracks and all, but i don't want to spend 500 dollars on a Flywheel from JUN....
....tell me what you guys think!!?

· Registered
1,428 Posts
i have an ACT stage 2 clutch and its good........like you said aluminum flywheels crack........JUN is cro-moly steel which is lighter then stock and i think like 200% stronger.........just save up for a JUN or any other flywheel that is cro-moly

· Registered
1,428 Posts
wow i think it was around 4 bills...but that was a long time ago...and as for the flywheel i dont know anyone else who makes them out of cro-moly steel

· Registered
1,428 Posts
bad thing about shaving weight off of the flywheel is that it can get very thin and eventually become very prone to cracking under higher clamping pressure

· Registered
1,428 Posts
quite a few times actually.....plus aluminum just doesnt hold up to heat as well.......and now just about everytime i hear of somebody getting a clutch its a 6 puck or some crazy clutch that is useless for the street machines that we build....and those clutches have a high ass clamping pressure which leads to breaking the flywheel....another thing to think about is that cro-moly flywheels will never need to be resurfaced....and i am pretty sure that aluminum flywheels will.....

· Registered
1,080 Posts
CRXtc said:
quite a few times actually.....plus aluminum just doesnt hold up to heat as well.......and now just about everytime i hear of somebody getting a clutch its a 6 puck or some crazy clutch that is useless for the street machines that we build....and those clutches have a high ass clamping pressure which leads to breaking the flywheel....another thing to think about is that cro-moly flywheels will never need to be resurfaced....and i am pretty sure that aluminum flywheels will.....

So what kind of clutch would you recommend for a modified daily driver. i know this gets off the topic a little, but to use an aluminium flywheel which clutch would you suggest?

· Registered
1,428 Posts
nothing too crazy....ACT stage 2 or something along those lines......sorry ich is right.....but a warped flywheel is no good anyway because if it is in resurfacing specs then you might take off enough metal to destroy its structural integrity.........but back to the clutch......what are your goalS? get a clutch that will be able to handle the HP of your goals....so if all you plan on doing is adding cams and headwork to your setup now....you dont need a stage 5 clutch do you?....the answer is no..........get one that is rated for the HP that you want to put out

· Registered
1,080 Posts
thanks for the reply CRXtc. I don't need anything too crazy, and my current clutch is less than a year old. I'll be getting something a litte better when the time comes, and i'm definitely going to get a light weight flywheel. But you're right, most people don't need the pure Drag clutches for daily driving.

· Registered
398 Posts
I personally would follow in my footsteps. Act hd pressure plate, organic street disk, and a fidanza aluminum flywheel, I really dont think I will warp this flywheel, but if you are scared, get the jun cromolly. This is a nice setup! Another good clutch is centerforce. my 2 cents. Ryan

Anything extra is overkill for your purpose.

· Registered
398 Posts
oh yeah

aluminum flywheels have replaceable inserts, when time comes to resurface. They are also cheaper, $308 shipped for the b-series. But, if I were rich I would have got the jun. Ryan

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.