Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i start my car, some type of liquid sprays out. also, while its idling, i will have someone hit the throttle and when the rpm's drop, a lot of liqid comes running out of the exhaust. it doesnt feel like oil and doesnt smell like any thing other than smoke. i checked the oil and its clean and the water level hasnt dropped since i last refilled it. so i think its fuel! is it possible for the injectors to be spitting out so much raw fuel that it would drizzle out of the pipe?

·
Registered
112 Posts
its just water from the condensation in your fuel tank. How much gas do you have? Every morning you'll probably see some water come out especially in the winter. This is why when you store your car, make sure you put a full tank of gas.

I remember when i didnt drive my car for 3 days. My car was just sitting in my driveway with little fuel. I turned on the car and tapped the throttle and a lot of water came out. Its normal.

Dont sweat it.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Yeah it's most likely condensation, but if it's condensation build up in the actual gas tank, that could be a problem... because it then goes through your engine.

If it's condensation from heat and ignition in the exhaust that's totally harmless.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I see water coming out of every car on the road expecially the v-8's for some reason. Its completly normal. Also, i think using better gas help to reduce the water.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Why are people saying it is condensation in the gas...if this was true the car would be hard to start or run like crap??? Ever wonder why an exhaust system rusts out?? Its b/c of the condensation in the exhaust system and when you start the car the pressure pushes the condensation out. This is normal.

·
Registered
121 Posts
@jeffry6996
You shouldn't speak to people like that if you don't know what your talking about, in fact, you obviously don't understand anything about combustion/chemistry. You should read that article I linked to. It's very informative
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways

Just so everyone knows, gaseous H2O (water vapour) is a byproduct of combustion.

Read the top paragraph of the second page if you don't believe me

At cold starts, such as during winter time, the gaseous H20 condenses because of the cold exhaust pipe surrounding it. Then, the now liquid H2O has to go somewhere, so it just spits out the back of your exhaust.

After the vehicle runs for a while, and everything gets up to operating temperature, the H2O stays in vapour form.

Essentially, don't worry about it. Unless it starts to smell like oil, and there is lots of smoke. Then, your fucked. :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
In conclusion, water out the exhaust is fine.

@jeffry6996
Here in Canada, it is an insult. This saying insinuates that you have the intelligence level of a common hand tool, such as a screwdriver. In other words, it is like saying "your an idiot".

My apologize if I offended you, I should have asked you what you mean when you say "dry gas".

What is dry gas?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Condensation from the gas tank. Are you guys kidding?

C8H18 + O2 --> CO2 + H2O (not balanced)

When the exhaust system is still cold, water will condense to liquid form. When it has warmed up, it will say in gas form and you won't see as much condensation. Pick up a high school chemistry book.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
C8H18 + 12.5O2 ----> 8CO2 + 9H2O is the balanced equation.
He is right about the water being liquid due to temperature. When the metal is cooler it causes the water to condenses (turns to liquid), when the metal is hotter the water stays in vapor (gas) form....
For a rep point can anyone tell me what it is called when you go from a solid straight to gas? And another for a gas going straight to solid?

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
Water in the gas tank coming out the exhaust, I've heard it all now lol.
You can get water in your tank but if you are getting it through your fuel system then your car isn't going to be running. Water will sit at the bottom of a gas tank with gas in it. Therefore if you suck enough water to cause water to come out the tail pipe it will not be mixed with any gas. It is just condensation, the only thing it will hurt is your exhaust over time. This is why stock mufflers with usually have a little pin hole in the bottom of them. Brand new cars do it, it is normal.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
GazXL said:
In conclusion, water out the exhaust is fine.

@jeffry6996
Here in Canada, it is an insult. This saying insinuates that you have the intelligence level of a common hand tool, such as a screwdriver. In other words, it is like saying "your an idiot".

My apologize if I offended you, I should have asked you what you mean when you say "dry gas".

What is dry gas?

Dry gas is basically alcohol, ethanol to be specific. The ethanol mixes with the water and keeps it from freezing when the temperature drops and makes it burnable. so basically if u do have water in your gas tank it will get soaked up and allow it go with the rest of the fuel.

·
Registered
242 Posts
In chem class we learned that for every gallon of gas burned one gallon of water is created...as for it coming out of the exhaust it would be a matter of the temp of its surroundings, if it hits cold piping it will remain in liquid form, if it hit a scorching hot header its going to be a gas. all cars do it, if yours doesnt then you must be driving an electric, wanabe car.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Good information to know.

I had no idea that "dry gas" even existed! I guess you learn something new everyday, thanks jeffry6996.

@ Mr GSR

Solid to Gas = Sublimation

Gas to Solid = Deposition

And I never thought that High school Chem would be worthwhile...

Chem = :number1

1 - 20 of 28 Posts