Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(ignored on nitrous forum)

little n2o knowledge please
don't know much about n2o, know it can fuck up your car and something about it helping combustion or some shit like that. i'm getting a prelude soon and am planning on going with as much all motor as possible with the juice as a "juce in case" but before i decide to go with this path i'd like to know more about it. things like what needs to be reinforced to make sure i don't kill my car... plugs, pistons, etc.. i want to start off with a 50-75 shot but to eventually be able to run a 150 shot... crazy? gimme some feedback.. try to be detailed please cause i'm pretty much a newbie at n2o...

also what type of power would i be able to get all motor withought sacrificing the performance of the n2o... like if i get high compression pistons couldn't that be bad when spraying..? bad mixture, etc... any help... comments...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,368 Posts
rony said:
(ignored on nitrous forum)

little n2o knowledge please
don't know much about n2o, know it can fuck up your car and something about it helping combustion or some shit like that. i'm getting a prelude soon and am planning on going with as much all motor as possible with the juice as a "juce in case" but before i decide to go with this path i'd like to know more about it. things like what needs to be reinforced to make sure i don't kill my car... plugs, pistons, etc.. i want to start off with a 50-75 shot but to eventually be able to run a 150 shot... crazy? gimme some feedback.. try to be detailed please cause i'm pretty much a newbie at n2o...

also what type of power would i be able to get all motor withought sacrificing the performance of the n2o... like if i get high compression pistons couldn't that be bad when spraying..? bad mixture, etc... any help... comments...
Well, to start off, you could find most of your answers if you browsed the nitrous forum, but i'll tackle as much as i can for ya.

There's a bunch of different ways you can go. First you have to decide what type of kit you are going to get. you have to consider all the different factors though. when are you planning on running that 150 shot? if youre going to be running it soon (like within a half a year or so) then you should wait till you have your motor built up, and then go direct port. or, what i would suggest, is buy a dry kit right now (i prefer zex, you can get one for $435 at www.evanshondaspecialist.com ) and run a 55-65-75 shot. Our stock blocks can handle up to a 75 shot without a problem. Then you can get used to the nitrous, get a feel for what you want, if you really want the 150shot etc. Then if you decide to go with the bigger shot, sell your dry kit and go direct port (After you build up your shit first) Nitrous LOVES high compression, so higher compression pistons = dope. I'll see if i can make up this list of what you need for each shot:

50-55 shot - 1-step colder spark plugs
65 shot - 1-step colder plugs & retard your timing 2 degrees
75 shot - 1 step colder plugs, retard your timing 4 degrees, probably time for an aftermarket clutch too.
anything above a 75 shot, and youre going to want to start building up your block (in my opinion, some people spray 80-100 on the stock block). you will DEFINATELY need to ugrade your fuel system: pump, injectors, etc. youll need a new clutch, plugs and all that other biz.

You could just start out with a direct port kit, but the problem is its actually not that safe to run the lowest shot possible, because the jets are so small. with most dry kits, you have one nozzle that sprays into your intake. with a direct port kit, you have a nitrous/fuel mixture sprayed into each cylinder through your intake manifold, so you have a more evenly distributed mix. But, say youre spraying an 80 shot, thats a 20 shot per each nozzle, and that means the jets are like microscopic. if a little particle of whatever gets in the way, its gonna screw up your mix.

One of the main things you have to worry about with nitrous is detonation. You dont want to be running lean. the zex kit is the safest among dry kits because you run a little bit richer than the others (safer = smarter) remember safety should come first, you dont want to blow your engine. There are also some rules you need to know about. Dont spray for longer than 15 seconds. Dont spray under 3000rpms. Dont spray at really high speeds. If you let the temp get too high, youre going to melt something.

The Zex kit is great. It's very very easy to install. You CAN and WILL install it yourself (its that easy). It is inexpensive (if you get it at the right place. And its safe. As long as you have colder spark plugs (you can get the zex plugs, or ngk's one step colder) and the proper engine retard, you can spray all day and all night without worries.

I guess a lot of what you should do depends on how much money you have. reply back with some more details on what you want, and any questions you have. my post is getting too unorganized to keep going.

peaces
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
first of all thanks for the reply, my post got totaly ignored :) anyway... i don't even have the car yet... but i want to know as much as i can of what could go wrong, how to avoid, etc , etc.. what i really want to do is be fast all motor, as fast as possible actually.. but have the juice as a "just in case" you get me? thats why i don't really know what way to go because i don't want to do some crazy shit like go FI with a turbo and then have the n2o... you know? all motor is good but if somebody creeps up slipping a finger will do the trick.. maybe i'm talking out my ass and that wont be too possible... the 150 shot can wait... i just want to know what needs to be reinforced so i don't fuck anything up... detonation..? BOOM? don't really know much about nos :)

- rony
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,368 Posts
heres what you gotta do,

get a zex kit. get the zex plugs. run a 55 shot. spary sparingly (if you can resist)

if thats good enough for you (i went through 8 bottles with the 55 shot, switched to 75 and never understood why i even had the 55 jets in ;) ) then youre set.

if you a little more, bump it up to 65 or 75, but retard your timing accordingly with an aftermarket ignition (easily purchased for $100-$200)

dont spray under 3000rpms.
dont spray for longer than 15 seconds in a row.
check your plugs often (make sure youre not running lean).

you'll be 100% fine.

(and you'll hit 13's)

peace
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,727 Posts
a2lpiavce said:
how long would a 75 shot bottle last you? like how many seconds?
I think about 3 minutes or 180 seconds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,727 Posts
if you are going to build up...forged pistons are the best route...they are strong:) everyone thinks nitrous likes compression...NO it doesn't...nitrous increases the compression a ton! the only way you could get away shooting nitrous and high compression pistons is if you ran high ass octane:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lOOkatme said:
if you are going to build up...forged pistons are the best route...they are strong:) everyone thinks nitrous likes compression...NO it doesn't...nitrous increases the compression a ton! the only way you could get away shooting nitrous and high compression pistons is if you ran high ass octane:)
this is what i'm really interested in learning more about.. the compression... because i also want to be quick all motor too..i don't want to go trigger happy with a bottle...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
You can get an extra fuel cell and fuel pump and hook it up to your fuel solenoid. Fill the fuel cell with 100 octane fuel and spray all day long.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
another thing is... can i actually be fast.. not just with the bottle... get me? don't want to just depend on the bottle... cause their are destroker kits for this, and high compression pistons to add all motor power no? but this will complicate things when it comes to FI..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,727 Posts
rony said:
another thing is... can i actually be fast.. not just with the bottle... get me? don't want to just depend on the bottle... cause their are destroker kits for this, and high compression pistons to add all motor power no? but this will complicate things when it comes to FI..
I know integra type R's can be made to run 13's easy N/A....preludes will take a bit more. but pistons/cams/cam gears i/h/e/p with a vafc and tuning should put out some impressive numbers I would think.

my set I would do N/A
aem cai
dc sports cc header
apexi N1
aem pulley's
crower stage 2 cams, retainer,vavle springs
not too sure about pistons...haven't done enough research on em
apexi VAFC
skunk2 cam gears
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
would i have to purge evertime i spray?? I know its prob. much better if i do but what if i dont want n e one to know??....what does purging actualy do btw?? does it spray all the extra air out or something?? and would it be ok if i dont purge all the time??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,921 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm right here, but when you purge, I believe that it just sprays all the left over nitrous out of your lines, so you don't get old ass nitrous that's been chillin in there for a couple days.

~Peace :D
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top