Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is complicated... and interesting... I live in FL and have temperatures above 90 degrees daily. My car will overheat either when its really hot and im using the AC for about 15 min. Or when I drive on the interstate. Other than that its fine. If I cut the AC off while its really hot outside it doesnt overheat. And when I drive on the interstate I dont have to have the AC on for it to overheat. And at any time if I turn the heater on when it overheats it obviously cools it down. I have a 00 Civic SI. Drag turbo kit. Fluidyne radiator, and FAL radiator fan. I have changed the temperature sensor, thermostat, changed out the radiator fluid. This only recently started happening in the past month to month and a half. Nothing I do seems to solve it. And I got a compression test...
C1-165
C2-155
C3-170
C4-170

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
is the fan turning on when its running hot? could be a fuse or fan/fan motor.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
ASchaffer said:
havent done that before... how do I go about bleeding the coolant lines?
my mind is drawing blank, but i think there is a valve that is near the cylinderhead part of the top hose that is to let air out. if not then open the radiator cap to let gasses escape and add coolant in the resivoir. i think, i'm bad at describing these things.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
98civcEK said:
my mind is drawing blank, but i think there is a valve that is near the cylinderhead part of the top hose that is to let air out. if not then open the radiator cap to let gasses escape and add coolant in the resivoir. i think, i'm bad at describing these things.
thats only on pressurized systems..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, this was happening before I changed the radiator fluid also, so I doubt I would still have air in there after i changed the fluid. But I guess its possible, but anyway it was suggested it could be the water pump? Any thoughts on this? I was under the impression if it was the water pump, it would overheat instantly and all the time? And plus thats a $400 repair, and I really dont want to blow money if I dont have too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had a few issues with a civic that was overheated (prior to when I owned it) and so far I have replaced the water-pump, fan sensor, radiator, thermostat, radiator cap, and numerous flushes (whenever I changed something). Now it does not overheat and it is about 103 here in Texas so I think it is good. Before I had the car the head gasket had to be replaced due to overheating and this was caused by two things a leaking water-pump and a bad sensor. The water-pump was interesting because it did not really drip a lot of water, but when I was doing the timing belt I noticed corrosion around the water-pump so I replaced it. This fixed the overheating, so my suggestion is check the CEL for a code and return your fan system to the factory setup. A fan blowing when the car is at highway speed does nothing for your engine. If the fan isn't coming on put in a new sensor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.