Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
get a stick..thats just my opinion....i just dont see trying to hook up an automatic

·
Registered
187 Posts
i prob have an auto that could take a go at ya...hehe...nice htwizzle in my accord, header, exhaust, intake...gutted cat, pretty soon a small shot of nitrous...dont listen do what YOU want not what other people tell you

·
Registered
579 Posts
with the auto there is just one golden rule......change the tranny fluid frequently. I know this sounds extreme but if your going to drive a honda auto even semi-hard I would drain and refill the tranny at each oil change. It will cost you an extra 7-10 bucks per oil and tranny change but in the long run its alot better than 2k when the car hits 150,000 or so.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
sponginpunk said:
but its so much better when you can actually control the rpms
Define better. Its his girlfriend's car and is probably a daily driver. I can't tolerate driving my rex for commuting, my knee gets sore pretty quick in stop and go traffic, and the whine from the dog box is sure to give anyone a headache when driving home from a hard day of work. After putting the shift kit in my G35 I LOVE driving that thing as a commuter car. It's very responsive, lightning fast shifts, and I can put it where I want it when I want it, it's only downside is that there's no clutch to feather, but with the dog box in the rex I don't use the clutch except for stopping and starting anyhow, so shifts are just as nasty. I will concede that the average honda auto leaves a bit to be desired, but don't overlook an auto as a viable daily driver option, and don't be so quick to consider a manual transmission superior. Manual may be good for your priorities, but not everyone drives their car like it's a race car, I see plenty of perfectly content automatic honda owners on the roads. It also helps resale to the general crowd.

As for Sal329's question. Header, intake, getting it tuned, the sky and your wallet is the limit, it just depends what you're looking for, I just wouldn't expect much out of it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
like i said in my opinion....i would never drive an auto....i think they make people lazy driving....just gas and then brake...if u like an auto fine...and also i dont drive mt car like a race car...i drive like i should be driving....casually and paying attention to what other idiots are doing....so before you assume how i drive then maybe you should ask. i like to control my rpms so that if i need to get arond grandma i can. if like auot thats fine. i dont. and tahst called an opinion. and i feel if u want to mod a car at least start with an stick..once again my opinion....so no one needs to take offense...ITS MY OPINION...people seem to get upset over opinions here....and also the thread starter also asked bout mileage....once again a stick gets better mileage. :byye

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
9hp to the wheels on a del sol and gas savings too.

i have two brand new A'PEXi Super Grounding Kits that i'm trying to sell $150 shipped for the regular and $155 shipped for the plus kit. retail is 239 and 249 respectively.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Cam, cam gear, tuning, intake, header, exhaust, freeflow cat, slightly bigger piping exhaust, lightened stock diameter pulleys, reground and battery stabilizer, fresh plugs and wires, tranny cooler and you should be riding in a decently sprintful auto. Maybe a conversion to OBDI would also be helpful since from what I understand, OBDII resets itself all the time and thus almost makes your mods useless.

UltraMagneticAL- What's the plus kit come with as opposes to the regular kit? I'm interested in a set shipping to 11518?

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
if gas savings is a must, the first half of mods you listed won't help :lol

the plus kit has a steel mesh cable that grounds the exhaust.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys maybe I will look into doing headers and exhaust with a CAI for now. Any recommended companies? The car is my gf's and not looking to make it fast but anything that wont cost me a butt load of money and can get just a little better response from the car would be nice. We got the car with 35k and it now has 59k and the trans fluid has been changed 2x so far.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
have you even read the stickies about recommended parts? it's at the top of our forum. if you want increased response, the grounding kit will do that. hook one wire to the head, one to the a/c, and one to the alternator. you will get better response, a bit of power, and better gas mileage and less power loss when your ac is on...and even better mileage when it's not on.

this is how it looks in my car:

i could shorten the wires, but i'm doing a motorswap soon, so i'm keeping the wires as is until the new powerplant goes in. then i'll clean up the install.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Actually, let me edit one thing, I'm currently modifying my gf's 96 ex and I have the intake header and exhaust,, However, weather it's because the header is a generic design or the fact that it's tubular, I'm actually gonna switch it back to the stock ex header. My original intent was to create more spirited daily driver for her with a better torque figure, however, with the magnaflow 2.25 cat-back, free flow random tech cat and the header, I find that I've lost me original intent. I'm hoping that switching back to the ex header will help bring the power curve back more towards low to mid end rather than mid to high end.

UltraMagneticAL-Can you explain the exhaust grounding? And paypal info?

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
Sal329 said:
The wires are grounded to the box? Is teh box anything special?

the box is a voltage stabilizer. any load (especially a mechanical load) has noise and can cause electrical spikes that take away from your car's electrical efficiency (think spark plugs, not radio, lights etc). the box is basically a noise filter. i COULD explain this in more depth since i'm an electrical engineer, but i don't wanna bore you w/ the details :hehe some people who've opened the box will tell you it's just a capacitor and a toroid, but fundamentally, that's what filters are made of. however, apex has done the R&D and found the perfect specs for the filter and has shown significant gains in honda applications. the effects are more profound on older vehicles too.

the exhaust grounding smooths out the exhaust pulses. i have yet to try this though...its just what the rep at apex told me. i've got the muffler earth cable sitting in my glove box, but haven't been able to hook it up yet since it's been raining.

edit: oh and the plus kit comes w/ a blue led instead of the red.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
Knightmare69 said:
Yes, but are you saying I'm suppose to ground the wire to my exhaust?

yes...the collector should be a good place to bolt it to. there is a steel mesh ground cable the plus kit comes with so the insulation doesn't melt.

·
Registered
502 Posts
UltraMagneticAL said:
yes...the collector should be a good place to bolt it to. there is a steel mesh ground cable the plus kit comes with so the insulation doesn't melt.
Does the kit come with diagram instructions? Can you pm me your paypal info please?

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
Knightmare69 said:
Does the kit come with diagram instructions? Can you pm me your paypal info please?
it comes w/ basic wiring instructions, but you have to find the grounding points yourself since each car is different. basically you put + to the + terminal of the battery and - to the - terminal of the battery. then find 3 grounding points around the engine bay. very simple. you'll see when you get it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.