close-up of gears
http://www.superhonda.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/76058/cat/504

top view
http://www.superhonda.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/76059/cat/504

this is what I pulled off the magnet
http://www.superhonda.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/76061/cat/504

my work area
http://www.superhonda.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/76060/cat/504

My transmission was making a rattling noise unless I held the clutch pedal down. I think it's the mainshaft bearing, but I need to take it apart further before I know for sure. The whole assembly is remarkably simple. There are about 100 parts and all of them are accounted for in the Helms manual. I'm surprised at how clean everything looks. You can't tell from the pictures, but my synchronizers and gears are in mint condition. I'm a little worried at what I pulled off the magnet, however. Can anybody help me identify that junk?

I'll have aim on all day and my comp is on the workbench. My s/n is geriatric polywog if you have any insight or advice.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found the problem. I can't take a picture since my camera is out of batteries, but it is the bearing at the very bottom of the tall gear tree (as opposed to the short one). There are broken bits in the bearing and all the balls are bunched on one side. I even found two balls loose in the gear housing. Apparently, all I have to do is replace that bearing.

I don't know if this is an issue or not, but I pulled out my differential and the gears inside are wiggly. It makes a bit of noise when I turn them, though there is nothing visually wrong with the differential.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
flyracerx said:
what's on monday? i don't know, i say wait and get one before you throw your tranny back on. unless you think you don't need it, then go ahead.
I would love to have an ITR diff, but I'm on spring break and school starts on Monday. However, Monday is also my birthday and I might be able to get my parents to buy me one... and maybe they'll let me drive the truck another week. We'll see.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
flyingtoaster said:
I would love to have an ITR diff, but I'm on spring break and school starts on Monday. However, Monday is also my birthday and I might be able to get my parents to buy me one... and maybe they'll let me drive the truck another week. We'll see.
do it man. that'll be one BIG step out of the way if you go far with your teg. plus you'll enjoy better take-offs and way better cornering. :tu order now!

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
quikflip27 said:
is cucamonga in socal or norcal? if socal, drive to hmo and pick one up for 300. juss call ahead to see if they got em. also tell me if they have em. :D
That's a pretty good idea, Thanks. I'm in so cal, so everything is an hour away as long as they're not in San Diego.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
quikflip27 said:
is cucamonga in socal or norcal? if socal, drive to hmo and pick one up for 300. juss call ahead to see if they got em. also tell me if they have em. :D
I just called and asked if they sell used limited slip differentials, and they said no. I tried ebay and all the ITR LSDs were $800. I'd get one if they really were $300, but realistically, I don't think anyone will let one go for $300.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
I got mine used from a friend for $300. They are around $300-350 (easily $400) on eBay, maybe there just weren't any when you were looking.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
White98LS said:
I got mine used from a friend for $300. They are around $300-350 (easily $400) on eBay, maybe there just weren't any when you were looking.
The ones on ebay were new and I couldn't find any used ones. I already bolted the transmission to the car, so it doesn't matter. I don't track race, but it would be nice to have an LSD for driving in the rain.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
The LSD is a mixed blessing for me in the wet. You do have more traction for accelerating and more grip coming out of corners, but if you exceed that grip level you'll get wheelspin with both wheels rather than just harmless inside-wheelspin, which means the front end will "snap-understeer". If you're careful the LSD can and will make you faster in the wet, but if you are too aggressive with the throttle it can be trickier.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
It depends what type of lsd is used. Most of use dont use the clutch type because they need more maintence and usually cost more. That may be what is in your mom's car. Those will give power to the wheel opposite the one with zero traction. The Quaife and the oem itr lsd are torque biasing or 'Torsen' differentials. In this type the bias ratio determines how much torque can be transfered. so a quaife with a 3:1 ratio, with 0 traction gives you 3x0= 0 neither wheel can put down power.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.