Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
39,372 Posts
welcome. depends on your overall goals, but here is what I would do:

go autocrossing and improve your driving skiils.. then suspension, good tires, more suspension, then more autocrossing.

· Registered
39,372 Posts
bmw club holds autox events also.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my husband and i use to have a Teg =]
but he didnt like it so he got rid of it. and yes my lil Del Slow is stock right now =[. and i want something new. i have the money. but idk where to begin >.< oh heres the pic of my hubby's teg

and my del slow

· Registered
261 Posts
welcome!! what to do to it is dependent on what you want to do. if your looking at everyday drive ability /auto crossing build your suspension and the motor you have in it now. you can do a lot of swaps but the bigger heavier motors kinda screw up the handling characteristics.i built my D16Z6. it handles great and is far from slow now:)

· Registered
86 Posts
Hey Liz, first welcome. I am pretty noob at this stuff also..but hey what do you know...The way I look at it is I love Hondas, I love Toyotas...and no offense to anyone... I hate Fords but none the less I want to learn more about cars..but that's me. Well I have a 95 Del Sol -S (S for slow lol). It's not all that, but it is My Mar you know... I just got it and got the basics done. Got the ignition cables changed , oil changed, Sparks plugs changed and not to mention oil filter, fuel filter, PCV valve...got an AEM intake and now thinking of doing this respectvely:

1) Header and Exhaust upgrades... ebay stuff isn't that bad as long as it's steel and not cyramic (*Pretty easy installation, take of factory stuff, put some copper compound on Aftermarket Stuff bolt back on...just buy OEM fit ones Items for Sale by elitemotoracing or try eBay Store - RACING HOUSE: Ford, Fog Light, Honda)

2) Suspension upgrade... sway bars, shocks, lowering springs the whole shabang and tire rack has a very, very good deal on that from Eibach sports...whole thing costs around $700. (let me know if you find a better deal, it would help me a lot)

3) Looking at Corbeau seats (corbeau cuz their seats obviously fit of their brackets but Corbeau makes brackets specific to your cars factory floor plan...so take the factory seats off and bolt down the after market stuff of the holes already there)

***as a college student I think I am going to stop there cuz I am BROKE out of my mind and economy as we know is not too hot, I want a throttle upgrade but am too broke...making it a day at a time now. And heck APT building...sux balls....old people hate ricers***

4) If you want glow kits (from LEDglow.com), wether it be wheel well kit, under glow, interior, or even body kits (from bodykitz.com) use the coupon code "sponsorbuzz" gives you a good bit off. I have a whole list....but that's a long story..if you want the list of stuff (which includes rims, intakes, turbos, lights) you can get discount on message me before buying anything. I have the CS (bull shit sponsorship) but atleast I have the coupon codes which I would love to share with everyone.

5) Think about a HHO kit...I heard those things are good but thats where my knowledge on that ends.

6) How about HID Light Kits...

**All these are pretty cosmetic, I dont know much about engines yet or performance oriented....I know I am new at this but I won't give you wrong info and try to act like I know what I am talking about**

"We are all one, a group of people with love for our cars...divided not by color, money or borders but united by passion. The least we can all do is help each other out because divided we will fail. History repeats itself in many forms...even nations fall when divided."- A Friend and a Car Enthusiast

· Registered
496 Posts
i dont exactly like the term "noob" it implies that you are less than up to par with others, when in reality it really just means you are new to this particular forum. just my opinion. but as far as your car, do what most people do, new air intake or drop in K&N air filter. start small till you get a handle on things

· Registered
86 Posts
Oh! I also got myself a book called "How To Build a Hot Tuner car" from Motor Books Workshop...I know it's kinda cheesy but it's a start, since I am learning on my own and I am broke..it's better than going and destroying my call in one shot. Hey..I am a Noob.

ISBN- 13: 978-0-7603-2912-2
10: 0-7603-2912-5

You can also try: Honda and Acura Performance Handbook, Sports Compact Car Engine and Driveline Handbook or even How To Build The Cars of The Fast And The Furious. They come with a ton of pics and helped me learn a lot even though I am a noob at this...I just go around the street to Borders and since they are for beginners they explain very well..I just read it there instead of buying it. Easy instructions with pics, something you can't really screw up. Like I said got to start somewhere you know. Oh Yeah! If you(or anyone) have any other informative stuff help me out, really I want to learn more about cars. I really want to learn this shit, the right way...not that snap on, glue on shit from Pep Boys and it's kinda hard when you don't have a 2nd car and you are broke not to mention I live in a freaking apartment full of people who hate tuners/ricers. >>>RedNeckistan I call it<<<

· Registered
478 Posts
Whats your priorities for looks, handling or acceleration? What kind of budget do you have available?

· Registered
10,346 Posts
If your looking for a bump in performance without going crazy, start with a cold air intake. Then do some NGK plugs and wires, or OEM plugs and wires. Honda ignition systems are great, and when they can support 600hp at the crank, its obvious aftermarket plugs are a waste. Id also find yourself a nice sturt bar, dont get an adjustable one for 10 bucks off ebay, they dont do anything. I have I believe an OBX bar, was a PITA to install, but I felt a huge difference.

Stay away from an exhaust unless you have a nice sounding muffler, dont delete the cat unless its clogged. Exhaust on a D series are only necessary for camshaft upgrades and when you P&P the head and tune for it.

Welcome to the site, its a sausage fest here :lol

· Registered
86 Posts
Nice advice..but yo guys/gals...lets not change the topic..I appreciate all your advice but lets keep this on topic to this thread. Really man..I appreciate it all.

· Registered
580 Posts
If your looking for a bump in performance without going crazy, start with a cold air intake. Then do some NGK plugs and wires, or OEM plugs and wires. Honda ignition systems are great, and when they can support 600hp at the crank, its obvious aftermarket plugs are a waste. Id also find yourself a nice sturt bar, dont get an adjustable one for 10 bucks off ebay, they dont do anything. I have I believe an OBX bar, was a PITA to install, but I felt a huge difference.

Stay away from an exhaust unless you have a nice sounding muffler, dont delete the cat unless its clogged. Exhaust on a D series are only necessary for camshaft upgrades and when you P&P the head and tune for it.

Welcome to the site, its a sausage fest here :lol

where and how much on the OBX? and as far as Intakes go. anyone know of any for the d16y7? its not that easy to find one for it. i was thinking of custom fabbing one, but i would need help on that too. haha

and OP, welcome, listen to the older guys (300+ posts) they do know what theyre talking about.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.