Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to eventually install a computer in my car and run my speakers from that...I would hook up the sound card directly to the amps. Don't worry about putting the computer in the car my friend did it so I have no problem doing that. But I need help picking a sound card. I know about specs on HUs but I don't know much about sound cards. I'm looking for one that is pretty good quality but doesn't have to be great. I don't think it would need to be 5.1 or anything but I guess it could be for surround if I was going to watch a movie. The problem with that is I don't have a center speaker. I guess I could split the center speaker line into the two front speakers? Not really sure.

My question is: What statistics should I look at for this kind of setup? What is important for a sound card in quality? Any problems you can think of?

What does this stuff mean?
Max Sampling Rate: 96KHz
Digital Audio: 24-bit
Polyphony: 1024 Voices

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
dPansing119 said:
I'm planning to eventually install a computer in my car and run my speakers from that...I would hook up the sound card directly to the amps. Don't worry about putting the computer in the car my friend did it so I have no problem doing that. But I need help picking a sound card. I know about specs on HUs but I don't know much about sound cards. I'm looking for one that is pretty good quality but doesn't have to be great. I don't think it would need to be 5.1 or anything but I guess it could be for surround if I was going to watch a movie. The problem with that is I don't have a center speaker. I guess I could split the center speaker line into the two front speakers? Not really sure.

My question is: What statistics should I look at for this kind of setup? What is important for a sound card in quality? Any problems you can think of?

What does this stuff mean?
Max Sampling Rate: 96KHz
Digital Audio: 24-bit
Polyphony: 1024 Voices
Max sampling rate just means what you are hearing when its played back. This mostly applies if you are recording something to the mic and you are playing it back. But it also depends on what program you are using for the recording. I dont know how much it ranges but it goes pretty low and goes really high. Although 356k i think is about cd quality tho.

Digital Audio basically means the bit its playing at. 8bit, 16, 24.....and so on. The higher the better quality and better 3d/surrounding sound. Just like graphics, the higher the bitrate is the better quality the graphics are. Like umm.........nintendo is 16bit and snes is 24 and then nintendo64 is well...............64bit.

Polyphony means how many voices or beats its playing. For example if u have voice at very low, say like umm.........200, then you wont be able to hear some of the instruments in the background or some beats in the music. Cell phones uses these now and the higher voices the better u can hear the beats.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts