Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to replace the stock speakers in my 93 Civic coupe... And I want to know if anyone knows what speakers I should get just to replace the stock ones in the stock location without any modification really.... I want pretty good sounding speakers.. Dont want to spend a fortune tho.... Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
what do you mean what size? it's a civic... 6" in the door and either a 6 or 6x9 on the tray. you can get a 6 1/2 in the door, but you'll have to do some work. here's your options:

a. trim the back of the basket off (you'll see what i mean when you pull the old speaker out)

b. ditch the basket all together and mount speaker directly to door panel, using a square of dynamat of course (requires a shallow speaker... test fit with the window down)

c. ditch the honda basket and buy or make a 1/2" speaker spacer, available at any stereo shop worth visiting. mount the spacer to the door and then mount the speaker to it. again test for depth

d. buy 5 1/4" speakers instead.. they fit in the basket and don't sound much different from the 6 1/2's

to make life easier, i suggest picking up two pairs of honda speaker harnesses. they should only run you a few bucks, and they take all the guesswork out of getting the polarity right. cuz if you get your polarity mixed up your system will sound like poo.

as for rear, it's a lot easier... whichever size you have now (round=6 1/2" , oval=6x9" guaranteed) the new ones should line up almost exactly like the stocks

as far as what type... my only suggestion is to go to shops and listen to them all. everyone's taste is different, what sounds great to me might sound differently to you.

good luck

·
Registered
58 Posts
I shopped for speakers for almost a year because I wanted to do the setup right the first time. I found that Infinity Kappa Speakers were the best sounding speakers on the market--no matter what head unit you are using. I am using an Alpine Head... but the speakers are amazing, oh and deffiantely go two-way or three-way.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
i'm not too sure about infinity kappas being the best on the market, but i'm sure there are milliions of selections out there.:)

of course some people like the soft highs of the CDT's, while others like lively tweeters such like that from focal. and then u have a bunch of people who don't care about tweets and just go straight to horns. lol:p

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yea that is true... Its all objective... Depending on your prefrences. But I wasn't given that great of a selection to hear speakers either-- its hard to find a good store where to can REALLY hear speakers.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
true..and most are in showrooms which sucks. thats why i like crutchfield..30 days to try it out in your own car. now only if they carry better brands. lol. :p

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Uhh my 93 civic had 6.5'' stock in the front.

and 5 and 1/4 on the tray

1 - 9 of 9 Posts