Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wednesday, February 9, 2005

Losses at Mitsubishi double
The firm's recall cover-up scandal causes sales to fall further than in 2003.

By Yuri Kageyama / Associated Press

TOKYO -- Losses at Japanese automaker Mitsubishi Motors Corp. more than doubled to about $2 billion in the first nine months of its current fiscal year, as sales slid amid a recurring recall cover-up scandal.

Mitsubishi Motors also said Tuesday it had reached a preliminary agreement over compensation being sought by key shareholder DaimlerChrysler AG for financial damages arising from the repeated scandals.

Mitsubishi Motors said the preliminary pact calls for it to transfer the remaining 20 percent stake it owns in Mitsubishi Fuso Truck and Bus Corp., raising DaimlerChrysler's stake in the Tokyo-based truck maker to 85 percent from the current 65 percent.

Dow Jones Newswires reported that DaimlerChrysler will get additional cash compensation of about 200 million euros to 250 million euros ($255 million to $319 million).

Neither Mitsubishi Motors nor the German automaker would say how much cash Mitsubishi would pay under the settlement agreement.

Tokyo-based Mitsubishi Motors reported on Tuesday it lost 228 billion yen ($2 billion) for the April-December period, worse than the 103 billion yen loss it racked up in the same period the previous year.

Sales dropped 12 percent to 1.6 trillion yen ($15 billion) for the three quarters, down from 1.8 trillion yen the previous year.

Mitsubishi Motors has been struggling for a decade to boost sales and fight recurring scandals. It appeared to be on a turnaround under an alliance with DaimlerChrysler for a few years, but has been back in deep financial trouble after the German automaker withdrew additional financing last year.

Mitsubishi Motors, which did not break down quarterly earnings figures, kept unchanged its forecast for the full fiscal year ending March 31 for a loss of 472 billion yen ($4.5 billion) on sales of 2.04 trillion yen ($19.5 billion
Sux for them. I hope that turnaround they keep talking about is around the corner cause they need help fast.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
i think i posted something similar on a different thread but...

they really don't have any cars working for them..
the previous eclipse was awesome.. with their aggresive look and the inline 4 turbo engine (GST) but the new eclipse is a major dissapointment
galant is ugly as hell as well as the montero... it can not be compared to either the camry/accord or the altima..

the only car they have working for their favor is probably the lancer but if it iwas up to me i would rather get the civic.

evo is great but how many people would be willing to cough up $30k for it?? ... only enthusiasts...

mitsu dies... evo dies... STi wins kekekekkeke

·
Registered
827 Posts
daloyal1 said:
lol yeah. the evo is there only saving grace.
yeah well i hope they sell many of them . Even if they did it wouldn't make a dent in their financial situation. Once again :bye :bye

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
greddy102 said:
yeah well i hope they sell many of them . Even if they did it wouldn't make a dent in their financial situation. Once again :bye :bye
sell it cheaper like they sell mustangs... cheap and fast.... and make all the competitor cry ahahhahahahaha play by numbers

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
5.0 said:
I just hope they pull through.....For the EVO's sake. That's the only Mitsu (outside of the G1 and G2 GSX's) that i realled cared for.
:stupid
don't want the evo to be extincted yet....

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
that one civic said:
too bad mitsu can't just sell the design plans and copyrights to the EVO to another company just to keep that car alive after mitsu dies off. hell, let Toyota or Honda pick it up, i'll buy one!
honda's gonna kill the evo image if honda really picks up the project...have u ever wonder to see an NA evo? :byye

1 - 11 of 11 Posts