Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I lost all of the keys to my 2005 Honda Civic. I called all of the dealers in my area (brooklyn, ny) and they said the only option I have is to tow the car to the dealership, pay $65 for a replacement key and pay a $100 programming charge. $165 seems way too steep to me. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I don't care about having a fob, just want to be able to get into my car and start it. Thanks!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ouch, sorry to hear that dude. How did you manage to lose all the keys?

Regardless, I would purchase the keys from either the dealership or ebay (some OEM's are cheap out there) and find out how to program it yourself. The only issue you may run into is the immobilizer, that is hard to do unless you know someone at a shop who's got the tools for that.

Without the immobilizer in the keys set up, you wont be able to start your car.

I purchased a set of 07 TL Type S keys for my 08' TSX (wanted the switchblade key). I was given instructions from the company on how to program it myself (have all buttons responding etc...). Paid $10 CAD to a local locksmith to have my immobilizers set up.

For instructions I would google them up, or contact heeltoeautomotive.com and ask them for a set of instructions (may be posted on their site too).

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Hi, I lost all of the keys to my 2005 Honda Civic. I called all of the dealers in my area (brooklyn, ny) and they said the only option I have is to tow the car to the dealership, pay $65 for a replacement key and pay a $100 programming charge. $165 seems way too steep to me. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I don't care about having a fob, just want to be able to get into my car and start it. Thanks!
that sucks bro. especially the labor charge. their charging you pretty much an hour labor for really 5min of actual labor. i used to work for toyota so i know, but i used to only charge 1/2 hour so $50. i'd find out whats the programming process to program the key. at toyota it depended what vehicle it was, like some you'd need toyota's scan tool to program the key and some were just a series of steps, like have key in ignition, open door, close door turn igntion off then back on type of thing. if its just a simple one, like the open/close door way, i'd purchase an after market key and do it your self. if you need the dealers scan tool, your sh!t out of luck unless you know someone at the dealer.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Sounds like a good deal to me, i don't think you'd get it any cheaper elsewhere.

·
Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
Sounds like a good deal to me, i don't think you'd get it any cheaper elsewhere.
165 bucks to drive my car. I'd pay it, but hey I like being able to drive a car I still have to pay my payments on.

but yeah you will have to figure out how to program it, that immobilizer is a m'fucker

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. mujtaba, are you saying I can buy a key on ebay, use instructions from heeltoe to program it, and get a locksmith to cut the key and set up the immobilizers? and that's IT? they can cut a key right from the car?

·
Registered
937 Posts
If you lost ALL KEYS then Honda is the only one that can do it for you. The ECM/PCM will require a password from Honda to access the immobilizer with the HDS (Honda Diagnostic System). Also this password changes each day.

You can call up a dealership and get the "Brake Code" (Good for 1 start only) that you enter in with the parking brake (in most cases) so you can drive the car with an unprogrammed key to the dealership. That way it will save you on a tow bill.

BTW This brake code changes each time you use it so even with knowing one code you still couldn't use it every day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts