Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
It seems that N2O is teh most cost effective upgrade for HP. People could get turbo or supercharger, but why spend all that extra money on one of those when N2O is easier to install, easier to maintain (than a turbo), and MUCH MUCH cheaper than either. Not to mention that our cars have pretty solid internals that allow us to go up to a 75 shot with no qualms from the bottom end, or transmission.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
well no matter how you look at it nitrous is thousands cheaper than a turbo.

turbo initial cost could be 5600 total...clutch and everything.
tuneing time all that crap.

then you drive 12K on average a year...150 miles per tank.

12,000/150 = 80 fill ups....20 bucks a pop = 1600 bucks in gas/yr

12,000/310 = 38.7...20 bucks a pop = 774 bucks in gas/yr N/A

1600 - 774 = you save 826 dollars in gas alone not running a turbo.

then tuning costs all the time...more maintenance on turbo since they run very hot and damage the engine...n2o won't cause its only shot sparingly and doesn't do much damage at all.

so if you shot nitrous for three years you would have to go through 216 bottles of nitrous @ 35 bucks a fill up for the nitrous to be equal to a turbo in cost....thats the break even point.

216 X 3 minutes = 648 minutes of spray time.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
you cant compare turbo to nitrous, theyre very different , one is a REAL mod that will give you power ALL the time :) if youre not a racer, theres no reason to get nitrous AT ALL :) you cant enjoy the thrill of driving with nos then you do with a turbo , unless youre shooting all the time :) most of us mod our car to DRIVE , not RACE :) ...... or is it just me:confused:

·
Registered
547 Posts
LAblue said:
you cant compare turbo to nitrous, theyre very different , one is a REAL mod that will give you power ALL the time :) if youre not a racer, theres no reason to get nitrous AT ALL :) you cant enjoy the thrill of driving with nos then you do with a turbo , unless youre shooting all the time :) most of us mod our car to DRIVE , not RACE :) ...... or is it just me:confused:
its not just u... i mod my car to drive and racing is the bonus of that.:)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
LAblue said:
Dammit, I hate it when she has a point.... :D

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
most of us don't shit money...so managing and tuning a turbo is virtually impossible for daily driving..consider the fact that they eat so much gas and are not reliable...you can turbo if you have a depedable beater...this is what most people with turbo cars do...they store it and use their beaters and only drive it when it's time to race or something or take it out occasionally...no one turbos a car just to drive to work and back....same thing with nitrous...you keep it dorment until you gotta race then you flip the switch...

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Murdah One said:
most of us don't shit money...so managing and tuning a turbo is virtually impossible for daily driving..consider the fact that they eat so much gas and are not reliable...you can turbo if you have a depedable beater...this is what most people with turbo cars do...they store it and use their beaters and only drive it when it's time to race or something or take it out occasionally...no one turbos a car just to drive to work and back....same thing with nitrous...you keep it dorment until you gotta race then you flip the switch...
actually most people with turbo car drive daily, :) not store it in a garage :) they just turn on the boost when they race :) if turbo are mainly for race , all turbo kit would use a t66 turbo , with a motec system exhaust:)

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
these people must shit money then...cuz around here you only see turbo cars on the weekends...we east coasters aren't very rich....and it seems like a logical thing to do...since you can preserve turbo life and cost maintenance..

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Murdah One said:
these people must shit money then...cuz around here you only see turbo cars on the weekends...we east coasters aren't very rich....and it seems like a logical thing to do...since you can preserve turbo life and cost maintenance..
mmmmm..... seem to me like you guys are richer then us :) you turbo a car just to drive it on the weekends :) does that mean that yal have ANOTHER car for every day driving? :) hey hold on , i have two car also :) never mind were the same :)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Murdah One said:
we're not rich...we're smart..;) this way if we turbo our car it would last longer than just a year whent he engine blows out from daily driving...
wow , since when did turbo engines have a one year shelf life? :)

·
Registered
484 Posts
I think that turbos aren't too bad on your car as long as you maintain them properly. I mean, my best friend has a 98 gst running 17 lbs of boost on stock internals. He hasn't had a problem yet. Then again, his car was made for turbo, whereas preludes aren't. By this i mean that his car came stock with a trubo while ours didn't. You can drop a turbo on any car, given that you maintain and install it properly. I think it really just matters on what you like. I personally would much rather turbo my car than sc/nos, but I don't have the money to do so, so I would prolly go with nos. I just love the sound of the turbo swisshhh sound.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.