Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey my friend has a d16z6 with a loud ticking, he used an engine stethascope and said the loud noise was coming from the head. He ran it for me a few times. I am not completely sure the tick was coming from the head. Does anyone know what could be ticking? The rocker arms on the #1 or 4 cylinder intake side(whichever is on the right when you are looking at the car from the front) seem to have quite a bit more play than the other rocker arms. If anyone knows what the culprit could be please help. Also, the ticking will stop at some points at idle and low rpm but as soon as you rev it will come back strong. Also he drove for about 7000 miles with the tick, and since the car no longer is making much power at all. To me that seems like it would be bottom end. He has taken the head off and looked at it but nothing is looking wrong. He adjusted all his valves to spec so its not that. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
96civic3door said:
My Y7 started ticking and about 5000 miles later it spun a rod
Same shit happened on my grandmothers Toyota, had a slight ticking and boom no more engine.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
The "tick" mine was doing was very slight and was hardly notice-able. I changed my oil and combes the oil drain pan with a magnet and did not pick any metal shaving or anything up. Drove it for a couple more days and on my way home I stopped at a redlight and when I went to pull out I had shit for power. I started up the hill to my house and did not have enough power to pull up the hill. At this point I knew what it was and knew there was no saving it so I ran the shit out of it to get the car home. It was knocking so bad by the time I got to the house that is sounded like I had somebody hitting the side of my block with a hammer.

I was pissed, I allways took car of it as if it was a high performance engine even though it was not treated like so. Mobil1 oil every 2500 miles, never buying crappy gas, etc, etc and it went at 107,000 miles. Oh well

·
Registered
38 Posts
some times it's just taking care of it that kills it, needs a good boot every so often to clean out bits, and throw oil over all the bits in the engine.

Mines got 130,000 and the piston rings are a bit funky !
But what can u do if u can't get the pully bolt out ? lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.