Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any mod suggestions for around $3-500 that will increase the low end torque on LS's?

I was going to drop an AEM SRI and apexi N1 exhaust. But from all the reading n forum the intakes don't seem worth it for any noticeable gain unless your mod'ing the engine. And from my understanding, don't performance exhausts lose power at low end? If I can do something on the low end w/o too much engine that'd be great. I usually keep the car rpm'd high when I'm downtown for all the power I can get.
Anyone with LS notice 3rd gear ain't sh**??? unless your accelerting up to about 80mph...or is it just me? I tend to switch from 4th to 2nd. I only hit 3rd highway cruising for hp. to me it seems like 3rd is just there....where in my civic 3rd was my get up and gone gear.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
The B18B has plenty of torque. If you want more torque, then consider force induction, with the Jackson Racing Supercharger giving power at a really low point in the powerband.

However...if you don't want to spring a couple of grand on a supercharger or turbo, consider changing out your tranny for a tranny from a GSR. It's got shorter gearing, which will help your acceleration. Just keep in mind that your cruising rev's on the freeway will be significantly higher.

·
Registered
110 Posts
if you are looking to get low end torque its not going to happen by just putting simple bolt ons. You are going to have to build the motor up and maybe some forced induction.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
hobie237 said:
big bore=low end...big stroke=high end....
Other way around. Bigger stroke gives more low end.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback fellas.... just got it last week.... engine in the civic went. Glad my rims fit!! Wish the shocks n coilovers did.
Now gsr or type R wing???

Oh, and I'll just floor it if I need to go......

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more question.... any advantages to swapping the exhaust to the apexi?? If I'm going to keep everything else stock?

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
-=Zeqs=- said:
Other way around. Bigger stroke gives more low end.
Thank you.

A CAI and certain exhausts (btw by saying "Apexi" you don't really clear up anything since Apexi makes the WS, N1 (and others) which are completely different) can gain you a bit of low-end and midrange, but nothing dramatic. Shorter gears, B20 swap... throw some weight out, especially rotating weight... lighter flywheel... little steps can take you a long way, but it still will be a small 4-cylinder and thus it will be limited in terms of torque production.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was going to buy the N1 exhaust...but I'll just leave the car alone for now until I can do something w the engine. I was just interested in the info, I'm transitioning out of my civic that I started modin last year. Wish my shocks n coilvers fit on this ride. I did get rid of the wheels and replaced them w. the heliums(10lbs ea) off of my civic. Although 15s" just don't do it for the teg... I'm itchin to get it dropped.

And I have no idea what u fellas mean by bore n stroke......

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
96silvercx said:
And I have no idea what u fellas mean by bore n stroke......
We mean...don't fuck with the bore and stroke until you understand what we are talking about.

Basically...we are talking about building an engine. Not information you can just "hand" someone. You have to introduce tid-bits to them, and if they really care/want to learn, they will pick up what it is put down infront of them.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
-=Zeqs=- said:
We mean...don't fuck with the bore and stroke until you understand what we are talking about.

Basically...we are talking about building an engine. Not information you can just "hand" someone. You have to introduce tid-bits to them, and if they really care/want to learn, they will pick up what it is put down infront of them.

in watered down terms....
bore: how big around the cylender is
stroke: how far up and down the piston travels

if you dont understand this, you have no buisiness doing anything remotely resembling performance mods to your car. get some info, learn some things, (dont fear, we all have to start somewhere, sometime, somehow)...but dont throw on a wing and exhaust and brag about how fast your car is or how much you are a car guy... people like that just perpetuate anti-import "rice" stereotypes taht give us all a bad name............

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Ricky!.... yeah, I'm not ready for the engine yet. Took most of my $$$ buyin the car and gettin what was wrong fixed w. it. Maybe by the end of the summer my pockets will be deep enough to start throwin some changes into the engine. And I wasn't going to waste any $$$ on an exhaust unless it was good for something other than makin noise!
Actually was going to drop a vtec in.... don't worry, one of these kids around here in a souped up civic would bring me back to reality reallll quick. Only if mine was still runninnnn...

I am glad that u all explained what bore/stroke meant. I do like to 'read/learn' about the vehicle I have and what options there are to enhance its performance.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
no prob man. hey where in MD are you from? i'm originally from ellicott city... if you know where that is...lol... i would advise you to buy either the haynes or chiltons manual for your car... they include pics and step by step instructions for everything from changing a battery to rebuilding an engine... even if you dont use it to do repairs right now you can use it to learn...

also the road and track illustrated automotive dictionary is a beautiful thing for 20 bucks... goes from a-arms to zyglow... that and the superstreet buyers guide to performance parts is another 6-7 bucks well spent for education and knowing whats out there......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts