Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I've noticed recently that my 5th gen is idling low, at around 500 or lower, low enough where there's a goodly amount of vibration from the engine. Also it's cutting out somewhere around 6500-7000 rpm instead of going to redline. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, no check engine light, no codes, and no other symptoms I'm aware of.

edit: I'm not sure if the engine's supposed to eat oil but a couple weeks ago my oil was really low, I had topped it off and now it's about 2mm away from the low dot, and I'm using 10w30.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
1. Gotta be driving
2. Gotta be warmed up
3. sufficient oil pressure

If your oil is low , this will create low oil pressure. You will need to top it off regularly. Some preludes just eat oil , you can also try different oils see if some last better.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Paulverizer said:
I got it topped off and still no vtec.
Check for vtec connections, also, if it loosing power like that you may have vent valve(s) since your motor has run with almost no oil. I would have it checked.

P.S.
Vent valves don't usually throw a code.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Freakin'H22A said:
Check for vtec connections, also, if it loosing power like that you may have vent valve(s) since your motor has run with almost no oil. I would have it checked.

P.S.
Vent valves don't usually throw a code.
WOW WE HAVE THOSE VENT VALVES IN OUT MOTORS!!! SWEET lol. sorry, i had to.

id say you need to raise up the idle and take it from there. jump the connector behind the dash anyway because just because you have no cel, doesent mean you dont have any codes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It only took a quart to top it off, so I don't think I was running with 'almost no oil'.

I jumped the connector per this and didn't get any codes.

The car feels like it's in some sort of limp-in mode now though, definitly more sluggish, even through 0-5200rpm. I think I'll take it in sometime this week, if I can find the time and money.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, the plot thickens! The car started hard and took quite a few cranks to start. I had just driven home from work so the engine was still warm. What could be up with that?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.