Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the lower ball joint on my 95 civic looks like it is pressed in. i can rent the lbj puller to get it out, but does the new one have to be pressed in. in my searching i read where hammers were used along with heating torches to remove them. if it is about all that i will pay someone to do. thanks

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
you can rent a ball joint press as well which obviously you can press it back in. the lower one is harder to do, but if you take the rotor off you'll be ok i think

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
torch and hammer the bottom of the lower ball joint to push it out.

then, hammer the new lower ball joint back into it place, but carefully not to damage the boot.

it is really simple.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that was a bitch. getting the thing out was easy. pressing it back in with autozone loan a tool sucked. i ended up using a hammer and a socket over the joint and beat the thing in. but it is done. lbj-0 tortis-1

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
to get it out i used a deep socket, and beat it out with a hammer after i remover the half shaft. to get it back in i had to undo the upper a arm, and the tie rod and of course remove the rotor. then used a socket about the same size as the ball joint and beat it back in. the puller/press i got from autozone is not what i saw them use in a picture i saw somewhere. good luck

·
Registered
51 Posts
Before u remove the balljoint remember to remove the lock washer or whatever is call, is located undernead of the balljoint.If u dont remove that u wont be able to pull the balljoint out.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Rickcrx said:
Before u remove the balljoint remember to remove the lock washer or whatever is call, is located undernead of the balljoint.If u dont remove that u wont be able to pull the balljoint out.
Yeah, on my first attempt I couldn't find that snap ring. Is it easily accessible?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you guys aren't talking about the ring around the rubber boot, or did i miss a snap ring?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.