Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am lowered only 2.25 inches and I bottum my shock over bigger bumps....how do I modify the shock so I can keep the srop and not bottum it??? is there someway I could have it sit lower in the holder??? something like that??? I am on skunk2 coilovers so I can adjust them up or down!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Did you cut your bump stops?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Don't remove them completely, but if you didn't cut them then that is probably what is causing your shock to bottom out.

I would cut about half of it off. The smaller two sections of it closest to the shock itself.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
there is no way to "modify" the shocks themselves to allow more drop or more suspension travel, and it is a BAD idea to remove the bumpstops completely...they are there for a reason and trimming them is just a way to cheat a bit more travel out of the suspension before it starts hitting the bumpstop...most real coilover systems have bumpstops but they also have shorted shock bodies and everything is carefully designed and tuned to work in harmony in a variety of road shapes/conditions and is another reason they are FAR superior to a coilover sleeve and shock combo......even just regular springs and shocks are a better combo, but thats just my opinion.....but coilover sleeves seem to have issues.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
junglistgsr said:
there is no way to "modify" the shocks themselves to allow more drop or more suspension travel, and it is a BAD idea to remove the bumpstops completely...they are there for a reason and trimming them is just a way to cheat a bit more travel out of the suspension before it starts hitting the bumpstop...most real coilover systems have bumpstops but they also have shorted shock bodies and everything is carefully designed and tuned to work in harmony in a variety of road shapes/conditions and is another reason they are FAR superior to a coilover sleeve and shock combo......even just regular springs and shocks are a better combo, but thats just my opinion.....but coilover sleeves seem to have issues.

yea....I did cut my bumpstops...I am NOT a moron. I was just wondering if I could somehow place them lower in the holder...but I guess not. Man I should save up and get myself a set of tein HA's....I am sick of trying to match up good shocks/springs/coilovers.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Ground controls and koni yellows are a good combination. But together they are almost as much as a full coilover system.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
deMad10 said:
Ground controls and koni yellows are a good combination. But together they are almost as much as a full coilover system.
the problem with ground control is the same as skunk2. there is still free play with the spring....its really long to explain. Also I am not a fan of eibach.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am sick of my suspension...what should I switch to??? I probably want to go with a spring shock combo.....I can get Koni's and what springs are stiff enough to provide great handeling?? and also a drop of about 2 inches...or a little less.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
lOOkatme said:
the problem with ground control is the same as skunk2. there is still free play with the spring....its really long to explain. Also I am not a fan of eibach.
Hence the reason you get helper springs.

I will eventually be going to custom sprung GCs and either Mazdaspeed adjustables or Koni inserts.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Call up TrueChoice, and have them bulid you a custom set of shortened Konis. That will improve suspension travel, but cost quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
lOOkatme said:
See, I've never been a fan of the skunk2's. They are way too stiff for my liking. I know what you are talking about with the free play in theory, but I haven't experienced it yet.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
deMad10 said:

See, I've never been a fan of the skunk2's. They are way too stiff for my liking. I know what you are talking about with the free play in theory, but I haven't experienced it yet.
the skunk2's aren't that stiff...thats not what I am complaining about. I am complaining about not enough shock travel...and also the coils on the front springs are almost touching each other...I need to get pics!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
With my Neuspeed sports I could see where the coils would hit each other. I think it happens for springs and coilovers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts