Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 4 door sedan, and just installed ground controls and tokico shocks. im trying to figure out what people do to slam their cars so much, because in the front i can only go so low before i turn the wheel and hit the fender.

the rear of my car is pretty damn low, but i would like to know what i can do to slam more in the front without rubbing or problems.

btw i have 15" gsr 195/55

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
I dont know if this is right, but you can roll the fenderwell out, or something like that, to make more room, and you can possibly take out the fender lining crap.... did i help ?? ;)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Usually when your tires start rubbing that tells you that it's too low. How low is it right now? You don't want the bottom of your car to drag everytime you go over a bump. Most people have adjustables that they can lower when they want to slam it to the ground, but it isn't "really" driveable in that condition. You can search for an article on rolling your fenders with a baseball bat. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well its not the lining inside the wheel well that is rubbing, it is the actual tire hitting the fender when i turn the wheel sharp

when the tire is straight, the well sits down fine...but if i turn the wheel it rubs...ive seen so many people with slammed ass cars but i cant figure out how to lower the front more without being able to turn the wheel

·
Registered
222 Posts
hmmm... rolling the fender is the best bet. Although i go against it cuz it does look pretty tacky. I had to do the same when i had my 17"s. Every time i would turn, the tired would hit the fender just like ur saying. it didnt really look all that great after the fender rolling, but i did get that extra clearance they're talking about.

maybe what ur talking about is what u see at shows? cuz they hella slam that shit to show off and get points... but aint no way in hell they're driving their shit off the lot like that :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Exactly like I said CivicDragon916. When they slam them that low they are not for daily driving. It is usually just for shows. You can achieve this with some adjustable shocks or just airbag it. Either way you can't drive around with your car but so low.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have Skunk2 coilovers on both of my 5th gen civics. They are both pretty low but my coupe rubs the fenders and unibody frame rails inside with the 17's on. I just live with it

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
OdiedogCX said:
I dont know if this is right, but you can roll the fenderwell out, or something like that, to make more room, and you can possibly take out the fender lining crap.... did i help ?? ;)
yes, people roll the fenders to allow the car to be lowered more and still be able to turn sharply without rubbing

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Yeah, that's what I'm saying is that when you see people on the street driving that low, don't think they aren't having the same problem as you! They must think it's worth the aggravation to have it that low. I had a 2" drop on 17" wheels and I got sick of it because I like hard cornering and it scraped like mad, even wore off the clips that hold the liner inside the fender! So I raised it 1/2" and put 15"s on. May not look as "cool" but still handles right and is more comfy and NO SCRAPING! You might consider going to a 195/50 or 205/50 tire which is about .25" smaller in diameter, that could help a bit and give you a lower profile look too...

Just some ideas. I use 205/50R15.

·
Registered
768 Posts
IF you get snow in MD, you better think about raising that sucker up for a daily driver... otherwise you are going to have to worry about snow getting packed inside the wheel well area and not being able to move... like everyone else has said, you can't have a daily driver that low unless you are hittin switches or have adjustable coilovers...

·
Registered
222 Posts
hey tical, theres a guy here who works w/ me that drives what looks like a '99 civic Si that is SLAMMED on stock 15"s that came w/ the car. i know u have a different year and model but i'll take a pic of his setup and post it tomorrow ...to see if thats what ur talking about. cuz his wheels are deep in the fender wells, and he drives it like this everywhere. he works in a diff. department though so i wont know exactly how he got it so low.. but'll show ya w/ some pix tomorrow. latez

·
Registered
449 Posts
I dont think it will ever snow in Maryland again, we havent had it in a long time. Anyway, hydros my man. get some dubs, a tubbed out fender well, youll be sitting on pavement in no time. PS: if you actually do any of these things to your car I will never forgive myself.

·
Registered
404 Posts
For the record: The Ground Controls tical mentioned are adjustable coilover sleeves.

You don't want a daily driver that's slammed - it won't yeild maximum handling performance and it will ruin your shocks.

Best handling is a drop of 1-1.5 inches (or a little more) on proper springs, etc.

When I installed my GC's I corner weighed the car and haven't touched the spring position since.

·
Registered
222 Posts
hey, tical5gcivicZC... here's those pix i was talkin about. Im just posting 2 for now cuz these suckers are a lil bit big. But take a look:

As you can see, the front wheels are pretty deep... but also remember this guys ride is a 96+ model. If u look at the pic on the right, u can see where the wheel is taking off the front bumper when he turns (bumper bolts are not holding up). So a slammed ride comes w/ a price. im surprised his alignment isnt screwed up yet...still looks in good shape.

By the way, is this what u were referring to? this how low ur looking to get?

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
That's ridicuous. If that guy had anything other than stock steelies and wimpy stock tires he would REALLY have demolished that car by now. It's still getting wrecked, just more slowly.

You don't want a car like that, it doesn't handle good and frankly I don't think it looks good, it looks broke, like somethings wrong with it. Not sporty looking.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts