Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a weird phenomenon for you guys...

i've had the same setup for the last few years (neuspeed sports and kyb agx dampers) on my 97 civic hatch...

over the this past week, i had an alignment done, removed all the back seats, carpet, tar, and added a rear tower bar...

today i noticed something strange...
where for the last few years my car had a nice, tops of the tires slightly tucked look, the fender gap has grown a lot - almost as if the ride height has mysteriously risen...

i doubt i took enough weight off when gutting the car...
what's the deal?

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
theflipimage said:
i have a weird phenomenon for you guys...

i've had the same setup for the last few years (neuspeed sports and kyb agx dampers) on my 97 civic hatch...

over the this past week, i had an alignment done, removed all the back seats, carpet, tar, and added a rear tower bar...

today i noticed something strange...
where for the last few years my car had a nice, tops of the tires slightly tucked look, the fender gap has grown a lot - almost as if the ride height has mysteriously risen...

i doubt i took enough weight off when gutting the car...
what's the deal?
You sure about that?

Approx. weight of car: ~2200lbs
Weight distribution: ~64/36%
Weight on rear of car = .36*2200 = ~800lbs

Rear spring rate = 185lbs/in
Actual wheel rate (motion ratio = ~0.7:1) = (0.7^2)*185 = 90.6lbs/in
Total rear spring rate (since there are 2 springs) = 181.2lbs/in
Weight removed from rear = ~60lbs?

Change in height = ~0.33"

It also depends highly on where you park your car. The area where I park at home is flat but a bit uneven, and depending on where I park, each wheel can lose or gain a good half-inch of gap, and that's with much stiffer spring and probably swaybar rates than yours.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
white...

the weight of my car is definitely not THAT low...
when i checked a couple of years ago it was 2662 lbs...

this was just with the rear cargo cover off, no tools/spare, no floormats, and i was 20lbs lighter...

can you do a recalculation for me?

did this happen to your teg when you gutted it?

i did notice a night/day difference in how primal the car feels!
yee ha!!!

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
theflipimage said:
white...

the weight of my car is definitely not THAT low...
when i checked a couple of years ago it was 2662 lbs...

this was just with the rear cargo cover off, no tools/spare, no floormats, and i was 20lbs lighter...

can you do a recalculation for me?

did this happen to your teg when you gutted it?

i did notice a night/day difference in how primal the car feels!
yee ha!!!
Where did you weigh it at 2662lbs?? The manufacturer's specs are 2253lbs and that's with a full tank. I don't see how you gained over 400lbs, unless it was with you in the car and you're *rather* "husky"...

My weight reduction has been a continual process over the years and my suspension setup has changed too many times... but when I race I do take out a little over 70lbs and it does make a significant difference in how it drives... height-wise not a very big difference... but I do have 350lbs/in springs in the back.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i weighed the car about 6 or 7 years ago with me in it (i weighed roughly 168 lb. then) with full tank of gas at englishtown after i made a run down the dragstrip.

maybe my memory is a little hazy and the weight was supposed to be 2462?

that would seem more likely...

is there any way to weigh the car without having to go all the way to e-town again?

and thanks for all your help once again, white...

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Go to a truck stop at night when no one's using them. You can jump on the scale and see that way. Or you can go to a waste disposal site (the dump) because they measure your weight before/after to calculate the amount you pay. Have fun!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.