Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend has a 95 sadan ex.Getting 16's or 15 si wheels and matrix lowering springs:front 2 1/2 and rear 2 1/14.He is here now and im trying to tell him that is pretty low but it will work(he likes the low look).That will work right?wont he just scrap?(a lot)

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Why wouldn't it "work"? He'll be fine, and yes he will scrape if he's not careful, it's more or less inevitable. Those springs suck pretty bad btw.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
4dorasasin said:
he knows they suck but he's cheap as hell

honestly in the area of suspension the most, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
riceboy89 said:
honestly in the area of suspension the most, you get what you pay for.
Quite true. I've gone budget to one degree or another on everything in my car except for tires and suspension. Those are places where if you skimp, it hurts. To the point of being unsafe, too.

Reactions: riceboy89

·
Registered
908 Posts
He's better off not doing it at all if he gets those springs.

And a 2" drop is more than enough. No reason to push it that extra 1/2".

If you are going to do something, do it right or don't do it at all. I'm pretty sure that's not just a figure of speech, but also common sense.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
no really please dont let him get crappy springs. i mean bad springs are just horrible. mine (fortunately) arnt bad at all, only on really rough roads. my buddy has some really shitty ones and you literally want to puke after taking a drive in his car.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I like the TEIN springs, and there not to expensive, way better than Matrix.

Are adjustable shocks worth the extra? Most people just set them and leave them right?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now he found some H&R springs on ebay with a 2.5 drop in front and rear 2.25 for $164 shiped.That will work wont it?Wouldnt you be able to notice that the front is lower than the rear?

·
Registered
908 Posts
ReDevil said:
Are adjustable shocks worth the extra? Most people just set them and leave them right?
Adjustable shocks are nice if your daily driver is also your track car and you require a different setup on the track than on the street. Or if you autocross and drag, etc.

Basically, when you require different setups adjustable is nice. Otherwise you can just buy the stuff that suits how you want your car to feel.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've had my springs (Eibach Sportlines) on my daily-driver for several months now and haven't scraped or rubbed a single time. They dropped my car an even 2" front and rear. I have about an inch of fender/tire gap in the front and a little less in the back. If my springs hadn't been so stiff I wouldn't have went that low. If you plan on driving your car a lot (on or off the track) I wouldn't suggest going any lower than that. And I'm also wearing bigger rims than what you mentioned. If you dropped a car with 15"s or 16"s that much you might end up settin' on the ground.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
x90CivicSiRx said:
Ive got 15" Black Steel Rims, is there any chance of wheel well rub with turning left or right with a 2-2.5 in Spring Drop?? :fear
no. It also depends on tire width, but most likely not.

4dorasasin said:
Now he found some H&R springs on ebay with a 2.5 drop in front and rear 2.25 for $164 shiped.That will work wont it?Wouldnt you be able to notice that the front is lower than the rear?
Its subtle, but you really cant tell.

·
Registered
38 Posts
With 15" or 16" wheels (assuming your tires are low profile performance models) there is very little chance that you will have tire rub unless, like he said, your wheels and tires are too wide. The main thing you will need to be careful of with that small of an overall tire diameter is bottoming out. Oh...and make sure you have the springs installed by someone who knows how to effectively adjust the camber angle of your wheels! If you don't, you'll be replacing your tires every couple months. You could damage your wheels too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do most of the Camber kits you can buy, come with instructions. I do understand the concept of camber and do know what adjusting it by 1-2 degrees in +/- does. I am curious though, if no info on them then is it more "Trial and Error" (+.5 - Wait a month, check tire wear - Adjust accordingly) degree changes method? Thanks for the info by the way. :ninja

·
Registered
38 Posts
You should be able to see if the negative or positive camber is too great by simply looking at the position of the tire as it sits on the ground. If you want to drive the car on a daily basis and you don't want your tires wearing out in a month or two you will want as little negative camber as possible. However, a little bit negative is good for handling. I wouldn't put any positive on them 'cause that would probably make your car handle worse than factory.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.