Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my lil brother wants a short shifter for his ls teg, when i was looking for one for him i noticed that most of them are about $50 but there are a few for about $130 and they come with some plate looking thing attached to them, can anyone tell me what the hell that is and why it makes the kit so much more expensive?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Do not cheap out on it. If you look through you'll see a lot of (HELP!!! Short Sifter Squeaking!) posts about cheap short shifters. I'd suggest the Neuspeed with stock bushings for the best application. BTW, what else does your bro have? You might want to look at performance parts for him. Just my opinion, but I'm not a big fan of the short shifters, good for looks though I guess.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree with Tegfanatic here...don't cheap out on it, but I believe a short shifter will benefit you if your looking to increase your times at the track (the smallest amount, but every little bit counts right?). If you want a short shifter simply cause it sits low (looks, get a cheapy) for looks and performance go with B&M, Skunk2, Nuespeed, or DC Sports. I have a B&M shifter ($50 used to be $90) and B&M bushings ($50) I love this shifter its low and the shift is reduced quit a bit. The best bushings for the price would propably be Energy Suspension bushings. They run like $10 and are a little bit stronger and will last longer than stock bushings. The bushings will make your shifts stiffer and more precise. Worth it in my opinion. HTH.

Jeff

·
Registered
657 Posts
I disagree with the don't go cheap, i bought a $24 one off ebay a year ago and have no probs with it, it reduced the throw by at least 50% and still works awsome. On smaller less serious mods liek this cheap ones are ok, however if u were doin coilovers or something thats where u dont' wanna cheap out.

but spending over $50 US on a short shifter ......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
297 Posts
castor said:
I disagree with the don't go cheap, i bought a $24 one off ebay a year ago and have no probs with it, it reduced the throw by at least 50% and still works awsome. On smaller less serious mods liek this cheap ones are ok, however if u were doin coilovers or something thats where u dont' wanna cheap out.

but spending over $50 US on a short shifter ......:rolleyes:
$24? For a true short shifter? Don't get me wrong, I'd buy something else, but if this was what I wanted I wouldn't get a cheap one that rattled, or a fake one. Maybe you got the deal of the century, but most cheap items are just that, cheap. Money buys not just products, but Name recognition, design, testing, and more. Good Luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
believe it or not, if you get a rattle it's not because it's cheap, but depends on how much lower the company has made the part under the pivot of the shifter. In the end even with the B&M I had a rattle. To cure this annoying problem, you can trim or cut off the counter balance on the shift linkage.

Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts