Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I blew my D16Y8 motor (had the Greddy kit on it), and was looking for a B series swap. My friend has a complete '00 LS motor (B18B) he will sell me and install for 1200. Should i do it? Or shell out 3000 + for a GSR motor? How do you think the performance will be? What do you think it would run? What do you guys think? Oh yeah, after the motor is installed i'm gonna take it to a BAR ref , so the motor has to be a 99 or newer engine. Any opinions would be helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
wow how did you blow your engine with a greddy kit? how many psi were u running? yea i would buy that ls engine, it sounds pretty cheap.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, the turbo kit didn't blow the motor up. I changed the oil and the old filter gasket stuck to the block, so when i put the new filter on it did not seal. The oil leaked out and i drove on it. Next thing i know i need a new motor. Sucks huh. Such is life. Thanks

·
Registered
506 Posts
IMO I would just go with the LS and use the left over money on pistons, rods, sleeves, and BOOOOOOOOOST!

·
Registered
229 Posts
i just put an LS in my 97 civic and im happy with it i would say go LS and run some boooooost or LS/VETC or NOS

REMO

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
REMO,
How does the car feel? Did you have a chance to run it yet? I want v-tec, but i don't want to run ls/vtec and i dont want any form of forced induction either. Give me your opinions about the good things of a B18B in a civic. thanks

·
Registered
506 Posts
I think you're going to have a lot tougher time making NA power w/ it but its definitly possible and it would be tight to see something different like that, if you were to go NA thought I would go w/ the standard stuff esp. big cams and big compression

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright, the ls swap didn't pan out, but i found a 00 B16A2 complete changeover with 22150 miles on it for $2150 w/ DC 4-1 headers p28 chipped ecu with Skunk 2 converter and it's legit. the only thing is that it has an LS tranny. I already bought it and am having it put in today. how do you think the LS tranny will effect the performance of the motor? i have no money to buy a b16 tranny, so i have to stick with the ls tranny.

·
Registered
506 Posts
the LS tranny is gonna slow down your acceleration a bit then if you had the b16a2's tranny because it has taller gears, but its gonna be a little easier for daily driving, if you find that its too slow I'd go w/ a GS-R tranny of you can, its right in between the LS and the ITR

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
The Ls tranny is goin to make your acceleration very slow when compared to a B16's. Gear ratios are very imprtant and are designed specifically for each setup. The Gs-r will help out...1st and 2nd are the same as a LS but 3rd and above are closer.

You can always get a higher FD ratio..thatll help out too.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I agree the LS does work well for turboed instances, but I know plenty of guys that have had success using the b16 tranny w/ a turbo and they like it, you can still get up to like 140 and the gears are a little shorter, again the GS-R tranny also works well in a turboed situation

·
Registered
623 Posts
i think b16 tranny would only work depending on boost. If u plan on boosting around 5-8 pounds then i see no problem w/ the b16 tranny. When boost starts to get in the double digits, spool time is increased, and longer gears are needed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i almost went with a ls motor until i found my complete 2001 gsr motor for 3300 dropped in for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JAYMAN320, how will a fd help out? if i swap in a b16 fd will it give the tranny a shorter feel? please explain.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts