Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a 99 Integra LS with and Intake and exhuast. He has beat a few cars in races, but when I raced with him I thought the gears were really long. Are the gears in a GSR tranny any shorter? Say he bought a GSR transmission, would his car be any faster in races, or have more power in 3rd and up? Please respond ASAP. Thanks in advance guys.

· Registered
1,388 Posts
the LS's and GSR's have the exact same gearing from 1st to 2nd. after that the GSR's gearing becomes tighter compared to that of an LS's. the advantage of tighter geared trannies is that it'll help the car accelerate faster than a longer geared tranny.

the gsr tranny will not give u any power. it'll give u better acceleration.

hth.

· Registered
71 Posts
I think (might be wrong though) that the GSR tranny redlines at 7200rpm as opposed to LS redline at ~6800. If this is true, then a little work might need to be done to the LS engine so it doesn't wear out. GSR's and Type-R's have better engine internals to compensate for the higher rpm's and vtec.

Can anyone back this up?

· Registered
784 Posts
the tranny itself just sets the gear ratios at the different gears, the strength of the engine is what defines the redline, which is set by the computer. if you override the computer value for redline, you could have an ls redline at 9k if you wanted. upgrading your head components is a good way to be able to increase your redline safely.
hope that helps

· Registered
150 Posts
I have the a 96 special edition ls motor in my hatch, they came with the s80 trans and redlines at 7200. So strengthing the interanls when just switching from a y80 to an s80 is a waste if your only going to raise it to 7200. If your going higher then go ahead and build up the head.

· Registered
1,366 Posts
B18B has 6900 fuel cut and B18C1 has 8100 fuel cut.

the LS gears are longer due to the longer stroke of the crank and the lower valvetrain rpm limits. the GSR gears are shorter/closer to allow it to remain in it's powerband (so VTEC is engaged on the high cam and the secondary butterflies are open, 5800+rpm).

the LS tranny has the longest gears so any other B series tranny you install will make you accelerate faster. GSR is the next step up from the LS, then SI/US ITR (ITR has LSD) and then the JDM ITR with 4.78 final drive.

as an example (off the top of my head, no calculations etc.) if you shift at 6900 rpm on the LS motor with LS tranny and land at 4700 rpm you may be at 5300 rpm when shifting at redline with just changing to a GSR tranny. the closer gearing keeps you closer to redline and normally closer to peak power so you accelerate quicker.

the valvetrain can be modified to achieve higher rpm but the block can only take so much depending on the stroke and the lubrication qualities. the B18B/B20B has the longest stock stroke so therefore has cams, redline and gearing to match it.

hope this helps.

later

· Registered
1,428 Posts
so what if he used a LS 1st and 2nd, and GSR 3-5th and final drive?....would that be some good shit?

· Registered
1,366 Posts
if you want to do tranny work then i'd use the GSR or SI 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears and keep the LS 5th and final drive. better acceleration overall but still have the nice 5th gear for highway use when fuel consumption is a concern. but i don't know if swaping the 2-4 gears are worth the labor of ripping the tranny apart. it can get messy especially when you're not sure on what to do.

you could just swap trannys, the LS for a GSR or even an SI/ITR if you want it really quick. IMO i wouldn't want a B18B with SI/ITR tranny for street/highway use, a GSR tranny would be plenty for me.

but if you can or want to disect a tranny and do some swapping then you could get really nice gearing. quick 1-3 acceleration a good 4th and a crusing 5th for the street.

later

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CRXtc, I remember someone saying that the LS and GSR 1st and second are the same. Thats not the problem, after he shifts into third the car does not really pick up that quickly for drag racing. Sorry if i used the wrong word, I didn't mean power I meant acceleration. Thanks for all the help guys. So...That SI tranny is from the civic SI right?? Where can I find one and about how much do they cost??? Thanks again.

· Registered
1,428 Posts
so sweet, what you are saying is use the LS first gear, and gsr 2-5th and final drive?....the gears dont matter weather it came from a hydro tranny or not does it?

· Registered
1,366 Posts
i'm going with the fuel cut/redline of my GF's LS and others that i've seen. they went to 6900/7000, i didn't see any go to 7200.
if others go higher than maybe some of the tachs are off which is very possible.

i've never disected trannys and rebuilt them before so i don't know much about the internals. but i don't believe it would matter if the tranny is hydro or cable.

you can get the SI tranny out of a VTEC DelSol with B16A or a newer 99/00 SI with the B16A. also the ITR is a nice tranny cause it has the LSD, but it's more costly. i've seen the SI trannys go for $600-800 in really good shape and the US ITR trannys go for $800-1100 almost new. GSR trannys are normally the same cost as the SI trannys.

as to where to buy a tranny, i'm not sure since i don't buy motors and trannys online. maybe someone else can help you with that. just be careful with what you buy online.

later

· Registered
333 Posts
I HAVE A 97 LS INTEGRA MOTOR IN MY CIVIC, IT CAME WITH A 96 GSR TRANNY. THE GSR TRANNY ACCELERATED FASTER, BUT MY GAS MILEAGE SUCKED BECAUSE OF THE CLOSER GEAR RATIOS. I ORIGINALLY WAS GOING TO BUILD A CAR TO JUST RACE, BUT CHANGED MY MIND AND DECIDED TO TURBO THE LS AND KEEP IT IN MY DAILY DRIVER, SO I WENT AND BOUGHT AN LS TRANNY. I HAVENT THOUGHT ABOUT SWAPPING THE GEARS AROUND, BUT IF YOURE GOING TO FORCE FEED THE MOTOR, I WOULD DEFINITLEY STAY WITH THE LS TRANNY.

· Registered
2,575 Posts
LSHYBRIDCIVIC said:
I HAVE A 97 LS INTEGRA MOTOR IN MY CIVIC, IT CAME WITH A 96 GSR TRANNY. THE GSR TRANNY ACCELERATED FASTER, BUT MY GAS MILEAGE SUCKED BECAUSE OF THE CLOSER GEAR RATIOS. I ORIGINALLY WAS GOING TO BUILD A CAR TO JUST RACE, BUT CHANGED MY MIND AND DECIDED TO TURBO THE LS AND KEEP IT IN MY DAILY DRIVER, SO I WENT AND BOUGHT AN LS TRANNY. I HAVENT THOUGHT ABOUT SWAPPING THE GEARS AROUND, BUT IF YOURE GOING TO FORCE FEED THE MOTOR, I WOULD DEFINITLEY STAY WITH THE LS TRANNY.
THe LS and Gs-r gear ratios,1st - 2nd are exactly the same...3rd and up is when the ratios become closer. The gs-r will also work well with a turbo setup

· Registered
333 Posts
THE DOWNSIDE TO USING THE GSR TRANNY IN YOUR EVERYDAY DRIVER IS THAT THE 5TH GEAR IS SO LOW THAT IT DOESNT MAKE SENSE FOR ME TO USE THE GSR ALL THE TIME. AT 80 ON THE FREEWAY, IM 1000 RPMS LESS ON THE LS TRANNY THAN THE GSR TRANNY.....

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.