Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i blew my tranny as i posted awhile back finally got around to ordering a brand new type-r tranny with LSD from curry acura... correct me if im wrong but the type-r's final drive is 4.7, and the ls i think is 4.2.. what are gonna be the main differences im gonna be noticing between the two.. Thanks

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
you'll notice better acceleration

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
playahwitgame said:
so how would a type r tranny be better then a gsr, other then the lsd, name pros and cons of that
Gearing. A JDM/USDM GSR tranny too has a 4.4 FD.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
The JDM ITR tranny is actually closer to 4.8 than 4.7.

LS: 4.27
GS-R and USDM ITR: 4.40
JDM ITR: 4.785

It's not just the FD but the gearing also. The GS-R gears 3-5 are much shorter than LS. The ITR's 2nd-5th are shorter still compared to the GS-R.

Highway rpms at 60mph:
LS: 2700rpm
GS-R: 3000rpm
Type R: 3500rpm (!)

I would really like an ITR tranny for my LS but my top speed would be about 120mph redlining 5th! Not that I need to go faster, but that low gearing can't be fun for the engine at long periods of 80mph freeway driving. The ITR 5th is nearly as short as the LS 4th btw.

The Type R also has a helical LSD that is somewhat comparable (but not quite as good as) a Quaife LSD.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
White98LS said:
The JDM ITR tranny is actually closer to 4.8 than 4.7.

LS: 4.27
GS-R and USDM ITR: 4.40
JDM ITR: 4.785

It's not just the FD but the gearing also. The GS-R gears 3-5 are much shorter than LS. The ITR's 2nd-5th are shorter still compared to the GS-R.

Highway rpms at 60mph:
LS: 2700rpm
GS-R: 3000rpm
Type R: 3500rpm (!)

I would really like an ITR tranny for my LS but my top speed would be about 120mph redlining 5th! Not that I need to go faster, but that low gearing can't be fun for the engine at long periods of 80mph freeway driving. The ITR 5th is nearly as short as the LS 4th btw.

The Type R also has a helical LSD that is somewhat comparable (but not quite as good as) a Quaife LSD.
that's insane. could you imagine the droning at 80mph during freeway cruises on long road trips?? :ahh

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
flyracerx said:
that's insane. could you imagine the droning at 80mph during freeway cruises on long road trips?? :ahh
Now imagine throwing a ATS 4.912 FD in there ;)

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
95db8 said:
my gsr runs at nearly 4300 RPMS on the freeway on 5th gear. maybe 70-80mph, is that normal??? :confused
yeah that sounds about right. my gs runs at 4K at 80mph. And i thought my tranny was geared short.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Highway will really suck, I researched this and gave up. If you don't care about highway, then it is a good move.

This was what I was going to try and do....
I have been considering a tranny swap for my RS. I am looking for a little more control in the lower gears for autox and spirited weekend driving but don't want to loose the gearing for highway. The perfect setup would be a 6 speed tranny. Since that doesn't exist, I have to look at other options. So I have looked at the options available to upgrade or swap my RS/LS tranny.

My options for swapping are ITR or GSR.

I like the ITR's gearing and LSD and it would be perfect if it had a 6th gear. If the ITR tranny had the LS 5th gear there is a pretty big step between 4th and 5th.

The GSR would be to the most part good if it had the LS 5th gear. Since the GSR doesn't have the LSD, it can be added for a fairly high cost.

So this is where the Frankenstein part comes it. Use the ITR tranny and swap in the GSR 4th gear and the LS 5th gear. I am still researching and don't even know if the gears are interchangable between the 3 tranny's.

Before I continue my research, I have a couple of questions:

1) Are the gears between the tranny's interchangable?

2) Am I going way out in left field? If so, please explain.

After studying the Helm's manual. The job doesn't look too bad as long as I have all the parts that I need.

From going over and comparing the parts breakdowns the tranny's are pretty much the same. They even share many of the same parts.

This is what I have gathered that I will need so far, and am sure the list will grow.

Special tools that I do not have:
1) 07746-0030100 (for pressing in the bearings)
2) 07746-0030400 (for pressing in the bearings)

For the mainshaft:
1) 4th gear from the GSR
2) 5th gear from the RS

For the countershaft:
1) 4th gear from the GSR
2) 5th gear from the RS
3) Locknut

If that is all I need, it's not going to be all that bad. However I haven't been able to find out whether I will need the synchro Sleeves and subs on the mainshaft. The synchro sleeves and hubs are sold as sets and cannot be purchased broken down. This leads to a series of questions.

1) The 5th/Reverse synchro sleeve and hub for the type R is the same as that of the GSR, but different for the RS/LS. So since I want to replace the 5th gear above, I am assuming that it is required for the swap as well. It's a fairly expensive part!

2) The 3rd/4th synchro sleeve and hub set is different for the R GSR and LS. Since I would want to swap 4th gears from the GSR, I assume that this set would also need swapped. It too is fairly expensive.

I am by no means an expert on manual transmissions, therefore I am somewhat lost on what exactly the synchro sleeve and hubs do and how they interrelate with the gears and how they synchronize them during shifting.

·
Registered
238 Posts
i dont like the jdm itr tranny, it max out only 120 :( , im mostly a highway racer. the jdm itr is awsome in light to light racing :number1 . i would still pick the jdm itr tranny becuz it has the hellica lsd

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
WhiteTegRacer said:
i dont like the jdm itr tranny, it max out only 120 :( , im mostly a highway racer. the jdm itr is awsome in light to light racing :number1 . i would still pick the jdm itr tranny becuz it has the hellica lsd
i don't understand, if you're a highway racer, why would you choose the ITR tranny just 'cause it has LSD? you won't need it. considering your type of racing, the best tranny for you would be the LS/GS tranny, or GSR with aftermarket LSD if you wanted the LSD for shits and giggles.

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
WhiteTegRacer said:

if your a highway racer your driving the wrong car.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Cuz rolling 120 MPH at 6500 RPM makes people recognize your h3lla 3rd g3ar vt3c y0! Even when the engine running the ITR tranny doesn't have VTEC...

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Hybrid Fever said:
I have a USDM ITR tranny and I've taken it to 130 in fourth gear. But I can also rev to 9k. ;)
The highway racer has a B18B though...7000? RPM redline? or is it 6500?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.