Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
353 Posts
can run about 240-250 HP easily and safely but mugen2 although his name might have changed now got 271HP those are with a drag 3 turbo.

· Registered
353 Posts
by LS/V im assuming you mean LS VTEC and ya they are fast but not very reliable. Unless you got money to blow or your a machanic and dont mind putting in the time. It is a good setup but is just prone to problems

· Registered
220 Posts
You make a few good points.. but it really depends on who does the machine work for the Ls/V setup... there are a few problems associated with Ls/V swaps but if its done correctly... with a simple T4 kit and some ignition and fuel mods you can easily get close to 500hp to the wheels...

· Registered
353 Posts
I believe that but i would say a good rule of thumb is any honda over 300HP for a daily driver would be not a good idea. It wouldnt but unsafe but I would most likely encounter small problems that you just dont want for a day to day car. On the other hand drag car yes. What im wondering is doing an LS VTEC and then turbo charging it you wouldnt want VTEC right?
Anyways LS VTEC is like i said not a solid daily driver but yes like most performance mods if done correct and well, can not only perform better but have a better chance at running problem free. I would love to have a track car with a LS VTEC setup :)

· Registered
220 Posts
Actually two of my buddies running ls/v one in an integra and one in a hatchback... the hatchback is a full blown drag car and the way its been tuned is that (yes you do want the VTEC), its been tuned so that the boost and VTEC kick at the same time, so right when the VTEC kicks in the turbo spool up at around 4500rpm and it launches like you wont believe... then again comes the reliablity issue your talking about.. the other guy with the integra and ls/v with a t4 turbo has had minor problems and the car is driven everyday buy his gf and she pushes that car a lot... basically what im saying is that reliability on the streets really depends on how hard you drive on it and the tunning agian... the integra has been dyno to 350+ hp on 1bar but the boost is set at only .5bar as a daily driver and so far the only major problem was pistons... other then that the car has been fine for months...

· Registered
15 Posts
how much boost can you run a stock ls
what needs to be done to run more boost

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got a e-mail back from a tech guy at one of the turbo kit manufacturers (forgot which one) he told me its ok to run 8-9psi daily and that would net you about 50-75 hp at the wheels. if you re build the motor for a turbo application, you could run 13-15 psi daily and thats 100 to 125 HP at the wheels.

· Registered
220 Posts
Jokeman you hit it dead on the spot.. that tech guy is exactly right... most people think that 0.5 bar is too much boost but its ok on stock motor with a few mods... its after when you build the motor that you can run 1bar daily driven... Now it really depends on your definition of a built motor but if its fully build as in sleeved,pistons, etc, etc, etc then you can run close to 1.5-2 bars if you have a good fuel management system... good luck...

· Registered
13 Posts
You guys must be kidding me? Only 50~75 HP with 7 lbs of boost? Were not talking about a supercharger here boys. The minimum you need to pick up from a turbo is 10 HP and 8 ft/lbs of TQ per lb of boost. Tuned I know guys putting down 300+ WHP at 12 PSI on LS engines. Thats 180 or so WHP above stock.

And to answer the original question, a stock LS motor can hold about 14 psi, but thats with dead on tuning, on a dyno by someone that knows what they're doing. Ive spoken with one person that has tuned an LS motor with a block guard, and some head work to 370 WHP at 18 PSI.........

15 lbs of tuned boost is safer than 5 lbs of detonation...IT'S ALL IN THE TUNING

· Registered
220 Posts
It is all about the tunning once again but 14psi daily driven on a stock stock block is not safe.. your buddy like you stated had some head work done which makes a significant difference + block guard(dont belive in block guard but thats another story)...

Dont gt me wrong it can be done but it with percise tunning which most people overlook...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.