Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which has the edge? friends say the GSR because it has the VTEC, i said maybe it wouldn't matter if there was a vtec because you're already getting boost from the turbo

but one tells me "No way, turbos Love VTEC- get the GSR"

·
Registered
70 Posts
U can put out alot of power with either application if its done right. Alot of people seem to say just go with the LS because of the initial cheapness of the engine compared to a GSR engine so u can get a little more power right away plus it has a little more boost friendly compression ratio compared to the GSR. Look at it this way for the same price as a GSR engine swap u can have an LS engine and be well on ur way to boost dreams.

·
Registered
13 Posts
well me personally i think that is gsr does have it's addvantages and the Ls has its addvantages because the GSR will have the high end horse because of the vtec but then again the Ls has low end torque and that can also be a factor too but it would be a close call haha............but me personally i would go with the Ls VTEC because then it's basically flawless but thats just my opinion.....

·
Registered
440 Posts
flawless when running correctly.. which isnt very often in the case of the lsvtec
most reliable and cheapest would be ls turbo. If you want to go all motor, better get the gsr. But an ls turbo would walk a moderatly modified gsr....... just something to think about

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Bruce_763 said:
...but me personally i would go with the Ls VTEC because then it's basically flawless but thats just my opinion.....
you better believe it ;)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I would say that in the end the gsr would have a good advantage, look at alot of the pro racers with all the power alot of them are running the gsr. the ls has its pro's too, just look at cheesefrog, he's making 500+ and eating vipers for lunch. I'd say for a cheaper build that will get alot of power just go with the non vtec. just my 2cents

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
tourhcky said:
flawless when running correctly.. which isnt very often in the case of the lsvtec
most reliable and cheapest would be ls turbo. If you want to go all motor, better get the gsr. But an ls turbo would walk a moderatly modified gsr....... just something to think about
Yes LS turbo would be more reliable but with a good tuner you shouldn't have any reliability problems with the LS/VTEC, I tell you from exerience, my LS has 175.5K miles, VTEC head, Turbo, and no reinforcement other than new OEM rod bearings and rocker arm assembly.... and so far everything is running smooth.
BTW with everything including labor, parts, professional tuning, and the cost of the car itself my LS/VTEC-Turbo comes out to about $7,000... far less than a GSR turbo...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im not too afraid of the price, my good friends dad is a mechanic and my friend himself knows a lot from workin with his dad, another friend of mine does car tuning and the kid whos the mechanic is sponsered by 4 companies. so im pretty hooked up

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Elixirs said:
im not too afraid of the price, my good friends dad is a mechanic and my friend himself knows a lot from workin with his dad, another friend of mine does car tuning and the kid whos the mechanic is sponsered by 4 companies. so im pretty hooked up
Then go find a nice obd-1 LS with low mileage if possible. Then do the VTEC conversion with a Type R head, get a stroker kit, all kinds of reinforcement, tune the hell out of it and boost like 20lbs and you'll have a very fast street legal car. Oh and you'll definately be needing an LSD.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what's an obd-1? and what the hell is LSD? (some sort of drug? :D )

Reactions: Cautela

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Elixirs said:

on board diagnostics (obd) 92-95 is obd-1 and 96 up is obd-2.
Lsd = limited slip differential

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Elixirs said:
:lol no... obd1= on board diagnostics predating 1996 (1 O2 sensor), basically it means your car's computer will be much easier to work with. LSD= limited slip differential, thingy in your transmission that prevents you from spinning your tires all day in the same spot and help correct torque steer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i was thinking about going with a LS-turbo setup myself...i was gonna upgrade the valvetrain (block guard, rods, ect.) and boost to about 10lbs with a GT2871R (maybe a GT25R or T3 not sure yet)...does anyone have any experience with a setup simular? and what kind of numbers did this poduct...also what is the max psi you would run on the LS block with just the valvetrain upgraded?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
With everything equal, including turbo and boost pressure. The GSR would make more power everywhere in the rev range. The thing with running lower compression ratios is that it gives a greater margin of error when it comes to tuning. But a higher CR will give better spool up and turbo response, thus is why a lot of WRC teams are running like 15:1 ratios in their turbocharged motors. But the LS setup is cheaper and easier for common folk to tune. It'll also be much easier to make high peak hp. The LS might have a longer stroke for low down power but doesn't matter that much since both engines have the same displacement and both are running turbos which puts less significance to stroke ratios. If you are gonna be changing a lot of things inside the block, then the difference would be a lot smaller. The type of cams will also affect the kind of powerband you will be getting too.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Elixirs said:
you know alot but didnt know what an LSD or OBD-1 were?

·
Registered
41,903 Posts
I see alot of people saying the Ls/Vtec doesnt run right alot. How is that? Is it a mechanical issue? or tuning?

·
Registered
54 Posts
yeah I would like to know the answer to that question as well. I am abouut to do a GSR head on my B18a1(all stock)running a t3/t4e at about 7 psi. while tuning such a combination is obviously a must, are there mechanical drawbacks to the LS/VTEC?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
The drawback is that there are more moving parts; More moving parts= greater possibility of something going wrong. Nothing to worry about if both assembly and tuning are done right...

·
Registered
41,903 Posts
what are the extra parts?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.