Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i wanna do an engine swap on my 89 hatch since ive decided to keep it and i was wondering if you can do ls/vtec with a 90-93 ls engine or do you need the 94 and up? what are the specs for this swap compared to a b16a? which would be overall cheaper to do? :vivi:

· Registered
113 Posts
yes, you can use an ls block out of a 90-93 integra.

as far as ls/vtec being compared to the heralded b16a, what are you looking for?

price-wise, it will cost more to build up a ls/vtec, as opposed to the b16a, because you will building up the internals and compensate for the poor r/s ratio. however, when it is built correctly, the power results yielded are insane.

there is waaaay more information regarding both the b16a and ls/vtec by way of a Search Function, respectively, since they have both been discussed quite a number of times.

· Registered
1,428 Posts
the LS/VTEC will ultimately be more expensive, especially when you take in engine rebuilds into the matter due to the fact that the LS VTEC has a very shitty R/S the engine is not recommended, now if you had your heart set on LS VTEC then use a CTR crank and rods...then you will basically have a big bore de stroked CTR...which would be spectacular for turbo due to the fact that destroked motors rev faster then shit when you turbo them OR (this is what is usually done) shave the block and the head and get ULTRA HIGH compression

· Registered
1,142 Posts
you can get a b16a1+tranny for a lot cheaper than a b16a2... the a1 comes with a cable tranny. the a2 comes with a hydro tranny. i don't know if these guys still have deals or not, but u might want to check them out.. www.nippon-motors.com they used to have b16a1 swaps for about a grand

· Registered
20 Posts
ls/vtec's are okay, if you are into tearing you motor down alot. i guess there great for racing, but... I've heard of them only lasting 6 month's or so. they were never mit to be. i would go for the real vtec motors. good, luck...

· Registered
14 Posts
LS Vtec unreliable but quick

An Ls motor out of an 2nd gen integ will work for LS Vtec, but the motor is totally unreliable. If ur looking at the cheaper swap definitely go with the b16a. If ur looking to be quick as hell go LS Vtec, because i've seen a grip of Ls Vtecs that run low as high 13's on all motor. And the LS VTEC motor usually only lasts up to 10,000 miles before it goes to shit. And if you add all the rebuilds and work that goes into the motor u could probably build a LS Turbo or and B1bc5 all motor, or even a built LS and shoot mad nos for the same price. If I were u i would go LS its a good strong heavy motor, and if u blow it, u could easily find a new bottom end for $300 or less.:p

· Registered
1,428 Posts
ARE YOU SMOKING CRACK? THE CTR HAS THE SAME BORE AS THE LS BUT A DIFFERENT STROKE.....LOOK THAT SHIT UP..........AND THE CTR CRANK WOULD MAKE A SAFER R/S AND THE PISTONS WOULD RAISE COMPRESSION UP TO ABOUT 11:1 WHICH MEANS YOU HAVE A HIGH HP RELIABLE MOTOR.............READ ABOUT THE LS VTEC BEFORE YOU SAY THAT SHIT YO........

· Registered
113 Posts
klungemonger said:
Why would he take an LS block then replace the internals with CTR stuff to make it a 1.6 liter??? He can just get the B16A and save the hassle and expense.
he isn't.

do you even know the components of a ls/vtec? you build the bottom end with better pistons, and build the head with either the b16a, b18c head. the head is where you build it with better cams from the likes of a CTR.

ls/vtec's are okay, if you are into tearing you motor down alot. i guess there great for racing, but... I've heard of them only lasting 6 month's or so. they were never mit to be. i would go for the real vtec motors. good, luck...
--just like anything else, if it isn't built correctly, then it will not last long. you also have to take into account on the usuage of the engine, isn't being abusively driven? conditions? daily driver? etc...true, honda does make great motors, but to combine VTEC, with torque that honda enthusiasts sorely been missing in factory engines, this option gained many...

An Ls motor out of an 2nd gen integ will work for LS Vtec, but the motor is totally unreliable. If ur looking at the cheaper swap definitely go with the b16a. If ur looking to be quick as hell go LS Vtec, because i've seen a grip of Ls Vtecs that run low as high 13's on all motor. And the LS VTEC motor usually only lasts up to 10,000 miles before it goes to shit. And if you add all the rebuilds and work that goes into the motor u could probably build a LS Turbo or and B1bc5 all motor, or even a built LS and shoot mad nos for the same price. If I were u i would go LS its a good strong heavy motor, and if u blow it, u could easily find a new bottom end for $300 or less.
everyone has their preference and which path they want to go, as far as reliability, please, don't knock it unless you've done...i mean, on a regular basis, i talk to jayman320(integra moderator) about his ls/vtec and that's lasted him for about 2 years, with mileage reaching a little over 50k...and whats more sweeter is that it runs 13s.....randyman(another integra moderator) has had his b20/vtec for a little over a year....and then there are few others in my neighborhood who have a number of hatchbacks with b20/vtecs and/or ls/vtecs....it just matters who does it, and how well it is built up....

your rationality is like saying that turbos are unreliable....but you take out the questions of how much PSI is it pushing? or how is it being driven? how well was it built to handle X psi? what kind of turbo system was it?

the discussion about ls/vtec has been discussed over and over again, and there is all the necessary information if you just use the search function....everything from what you will need, price ranges, questions, suggestions, comments, and everything in between...from the more knowledgeable tech guys...

but if you want to lead astray from the high costs, because frankenstein engines are a big investment, then stick with the b16, its a great engine in itself...

· Registered
1,428 Posts
10K IS A STRETCH FOR AN LS VTEC, THEY LAST LONGER THEN THAT, USUALLY ABOUT 2 YEARS...AND I SUGGESTED TO USE THE CTR CRANK BECAUSE IT WOULD PUT THE R/S AT A LOT SAFER OF A NUMBER WHICH WOULD MAKE THE ENGINE LAST A WHOLE HELL OF A LOT LONGER...........

· Registered
7,625 Posts
rockwell said:
he isn't.
do you even know the components of a ls/vtec?
Uh..yeah, I DO know what goes into an LS/VTEC . And not everyone tears the block apart and totally beefs it up when they put it together. Anyways, my point was directed at CRXtc who said to put the CTR internals (crank & pistons) in the LS, which turns it back into a B16 just with slightly higher compression. I said that is pointless because he could just get a B16 and if he wants more c/r he can get CTR or other pistons. I seriously doubt you can use LS rods with a CTR crank and pistons, the LS rods are 3mm longer, you're asking for collision with the head there.

I'm saying if you buy a B18 in order to convert it back to a B16 it makes no sense, just get a B16 to start with and your r/s ratio is fine.

· Registered
1,428 Posts
how much do you think a b16b costs vs an LS motor, vtec head and CTR internals?.....the second one would be drastically cheaper ( i can get a complete LS for 400 bux)........and i said use the CTR rods..........go back and read my daymn post

· Registered
7,625 Posts
At what point did I say to buy a B16B motor or block? I agree that's a waste of money. Don't get bent out of shape about it or anything, I'm saying the B16A is the same block as B16B except for the pistons.

You did specify CTR rods, I apologize for forgetting while reading the successive posts. :eek:

Either way I'm just saying he could keep it simple. He's using a B16A head, putting on a B16 block...just get a B16A and if yo want more c/r get pistons or mill it or whatever. If he's plans to turbo it as you said would be a good idea then he doesn't want CTR high-c/r pistons anyhow the B16A is already pretty high 10.2:1 c/r.

I just wondered about you saying the setup would be a "destroked big-bore CTR", when the stroke is standard B16 and the bore on all B16 and B18 is the same.

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
B16a

i was just asking a simple question, but now im just straight comfused as shiet.... B16a or ls/vtec? is ls/vtec reliable enough for a daily driver? or should i just stick with the idea of the B16 wich is still a great engine and with my light ass civic will still be enough to quench my thirst for speed... well i guess i just answered my own question, B16a goes for 1500 more or less right and the swap would be like 700 at tyrones shop. so im lookin at about 2200. an ls engine goes for how much on average? b16a head?

· Registered
7,625 Posts
I say just go for the B16A straight up. It's cheap for your 4g Civic, and it's easy.

The LS/VTEC will kill you on labor if you do it like was suggested if you don't do all the work yourself, taking apart motors and rebuilding internals...it comes down to what you said - if the B16 will satisfy you and be cheaper and more reliable, sounds like you've got a winner.:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.